Thread: North Carolina and Saint Louis Railroad?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default North Carolina and Saint Louis Railroad?

I picked up the new RMC today and there is an article about kit bashing a North Carolina and St Louis RR bay window caboose. I have never heard of the North Carolina and St Louis RR before so I tried to research it. But every time I try to research it the search results give me the Nashville, Chattanooga, and Saint Louis Railway. Yet when I read the online histories of the Nashville, Chattanooga, and Saint Louis; there is no mention of the North Carolina and Saint Louis. I assume the
    North Carolina and Saint Louis RR was either a previous name of the
    Nashville, Chattanooga, and Saint Louis Railway or it was purchased by the
    Nashville, Chattanooga, and Saint Louis Railway. Can someone shed some light on this? This has got my curiosity piqued. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,373 Times in 1,423 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to go out on a very short limb here and say that unless it's the author's freelance railroad*, then RMC made a horribly embarrassing and unexplicable error. There's no historical evidence to suggest North Carolina was a derivative for "NC" in the NC & StL, or that a North Carolina & St. Louis ever existed.

And before someone says, "But what about Google locating the North Carolina & St. Louis Railroad Building in Nashville?" that too is wrong -- the building has been demolished for some time, and the initials NC & StL stand for the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis. North Carolina was never in the moniker.

*That's a pretty clever adaptation, by the way!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know that much about South Eastern Railroads, so I was giving RMC the benefit of the doubt. But if you are correct, RMC just stepped on it big time. I was assuming that possibly the North Carolina and St Louis RR was some shortline that the NC&StL bought out at some point in its early history, but I could find no reference to it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    I'm going to go out on a very short limb here and say that unless it's the author's freelance railroad*, then RMC made a horribly embarrassing and unexplicable error. There's no historical evidence to suggest North Carolina was a derivative for "NC" in the NC & StL, or that a North Carolina & St. Louis ever existed.

And before someone says, "But what about Google locating the North Carolina & St. Louis Railroad Building in Nashville?" that too is wrong -- the building has been demolished for some time, and the initials NC & StL stand for the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis. North Carolina was never in the moniker.

*That's a pretty clever adaptation, by the way!