Thread: BLI announces Light and Heavy Mikados, Due out in July

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BLI announces Light and Heavy Mikados, Due out in July

I'm torn on this. Finally some steam that is close to an ATSF prototype but it would have to be Broadway Limited. What I have seen recently from BLI has not been good. Time will tell I guess.

https://www.broadway-limited.com/par...8-2nscale.aspx

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragoon 45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,863 Times in 892 Posts
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's too bad Kato seems to have abandoned their 2-8-2. Make it DCC-Ready and it'd be state of the art once more.

Also too bad that BLI isn't offering any of my roadnames. Guess I'll have to go unlettered and get out the decals.

-Mark

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had the same thought as the Spook regarding a Kato reissue. Hopefully BLI will deliver the same quality and performance as their M-1. Had mine for 3 years now and still running strong. Haven't seen any feed back from buyers about their T-1 beyond initial purchase.

kaibab

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They also announced P70 coaches on their facebook page.
    @kaibab, I have 2 T1's, they're both excellent runners. One has a very slight wobble, but not enough for me to want to deal with fixing it. They're very strong pullers.
    Starting over in N

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,351 Times in 1,414 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon 45 View Post
    I'm torn on this. Finally some steam that is close to an ATSF prototype but it would have to be Broadway Limited. What I have seen recently from BLI has not been good. Time will tell I guess.

https://www.broadway-limited.com/par...8-2nscale.aspx
    It is a wee bit like the tired old Army joke: "Men, we're going to have a change of underwear today. Smith change with Jones, Johnson change with Roberts. ..."

Point is, it's good news-bad news. But the T-1s seem to have been a hit, so maybe that's a harbinger for BLI's heavy Mike.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had relatively good luck with BLI......at least on diesels. Had one E6 that quit on me .....sent it in and it was repaired under warranty. I was told it was a board issue. So I took the plunge and ordered one of the new Heavy Mikes since they are the only game in town right now. I have a Kato, which runs beautifully, but leaves a little to be desired in pulling power, and a lot to be desired in DCC friendliness. I also have one of the last release Model Power 2-8-2s with DCC and sound,which pulls great (I managed to get 65 cars behind it on the club layout) but is a bit tempermental DCC-wise. It needs everything squeeky clean to run well. Also not the greatest when it comes to detail , and now unavailable , and it's a light mike. The BLI M-1s seem to be good, and I'm hopping they are using the same basic chassis. If it runs well, it's a heavy Mike, it has DCC/sound installed, it will outpull a Kato, and it's available in Milwaukee Road. Fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I helped the owner of my LHS test all of the T-1's he got in. We got one runner out of 6 he ordered, he sent 5 back. I thought seriously about giving these new Mikes a try, but the owner refuses to order anything from BLI going forward. He has been burned by every thing he ordered except the M-1's. He says he is tired of dealing with BLI's "lack of quality control". In my club we have one member who has had somewhat decent luck with BLI products. He never buys new, he always buys refurbished direct from BLI.

I am the one of two members in my club that has a working SPROG III/JMRI test track set-up. I have tried to program or just plain read the CV's on, I have lost count of how many BLI locomotives. The success rate for either of those two activities I would put at around maybe 15-20%, although I may very well be erring in the favor of BLI. I can program/read any other brand of locomotive/decoder with better than a 95% success rate, but BLI's products in my experience are just plain worthless in most cases. And this really disheartens me. I always figured BLI was about the only chance of N scale every seeing ATSF prototype steam, products I would like to see in the worse way possible. Yet if BLI does produce those models in the future, I would be hard pressed to buy them based on my experience with BLI products up to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    It is a wee bit like the tired old Army joke: "Men, we're going to have a change of underwear today. Smith change with Jones, Johnson change with Roberts. ..."

Point is, it's good news-bad news. But the T-1s seem to have been a hit, so maybe that's a harbinger for BLI's heavy Mike.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dragoon 45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon 45 View Post
    I helped the owner of my LHS test all of the T-1's he got in. We got one runner out of 6 he ordered, he sent 5 back. I thought seriously about giving these new Mikes a try, but the owner refuses to order anything from BLI going forward. He has been burned by every thing he ordered except the M-1's. He says he is tired of dealing with BLI's "lack of quality control". In my club we have one member who has had somewhat decent luck with BLI products. He never buys new, he always buys refurbished direct from BLI.

I am the one of two members in my club that has a working SPROG III/JMRI test track set-up. I have tried to program or just plain read the CV's on, I have lost count of how many BLI locomotives. The success rate for either of those two activities I would put at around maybe 15-20%, although I may very well be erring in the favor of BLI. I can program/read any other brand of locomotive/decoder with better than a 95% success rate, but BLI's products in my experience are just plain worthless in most cases. And this really disheartens me. I always figured BLI was about the only chance of N scale every seeing ATSF prototype steam, products I would like to see in the worse way possible. Yet if BLI does produce those models in the future, I would be hard pressed to buy them based on my experience with BLI products up to this point.
    I have heard similar reports on the various forums and similar experience at my club. One member bought 4 BLI diesels with sound. VERY shortly all 4 decoders died. BLI did send him new ones but why should someone fuss with NEW locos after paying that kind of money for them? And some may not be mechanically inclined, breaking the delicate details as they try to replace the decoders.

I avoid all BLI's no matter how detailed they are. But that's a personal choice and I don't really want to fix new locos. I just want to run them!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modeling the Southern in 1974, the 4501 was the heart of the steam program. I've got one on reservation.

Wish me luck!
    Tim Rumph
    Modeling the Southern Railway in N-Scale

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm set have 3 Kato Mikes and think 5 in kit form in a box. Bought them when they had a parts sale. Think they came to like 55 each that way but has been a few years ago.
    rich
    www.rslaserkits.com