Thread: Canadian Pacific gas electric #9004

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Canadian Pacific gas electric #9004

Well, as my Mallet build project is on hold awaiting a new motor, I decided to have some fun decaling my Doodlebug and adding a few details. From what I understand, its final drive was electric so I'm posting it here. Please correct me if I'm wrong ?

It all started with me coming across this photo:
    9004.jpg

And then finding this going super cheap on ebay just after Christmas (always a good time to buy !) Maybe it was super cheap because it's an old white gear Bachmann ?? Maybe $25. wasn't cheap ?? But, it was brand new, and the right colour for my needs.
    IMG_8336 (2).JPG

I then came across these decals:
    IMG_8917 (2).jpg

The Bachmann Doodlebug is not quite right for CP #9004 as she has an extra window on each side and drivers doors set further back. Also, shades over the forward windows and different undercarriage details. I made a few small changes but am not so inthralld by this railbus to invest too much time into it.

The snow plough is a much modified Miniatures by Eric plough.

I found I could remove the Pennsylvania lettering by soaking it in Microsol and then gently rubbing it off with a wooden toothpick. No repaéinting necessary

The decals were, as always with Black Cat, beautifully printed. The diagonal striping is printed as a full sheet which is applied whole and then the windows cut out once it has dried in place. Lots of Microsol was needed to get it to form nicely over all the contours. I would hesitate to say this was easy The back end also has diagonal striping but I forgot to take a photo. Ops !
    IMG_8899 (2).jpgIMG_8902 (2).jpg IMG_8910 (2).jpg

I'm no expert at decaling but I'm reasonably happy with how this turned out. It runs smooth as silk but how long the white gears will hold out is anyone's guess ??? At least it's not a big deal to swap the mechanism if it does go up the spout !!!
    Last edited by tomcook; 7th Jun 2019 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Thanks, Tom

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,956 Times in 1,614 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice-looking adaptation, Tom. Sometimes "representational" is just as fun and satisfying as "re-creational."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    Nice-looking adaptation, Tom. Sometimes "representational" is just as fun and satisfying as "re-creational.
    Thank you Paul. Normally I'm a real sucker for accuracy and go to some crazy lengths to get things spot on. But, as you say, 'representational' is a nice anecdote sometimes. After spending so many hours over each detail on my Mallet build, it was rather fun to create an instant result Stand by for another 'quick fix' soon (ish) !!
    Thanks, Tom

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 696 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done
    I take it this came from:
    http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrain...iesels_CPR.htm

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotian_Huntress For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit overdue but better late than never, a couple of shots of the rear decals on #9004 as she accelerates away !
    IMG_9007 (2).jpg IMG_9009 (2).jpg
    Thanks, Tom

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tomcook View Post
    ... diagonal striping ... to get it to form nicely over all the contours. I would hesitate to say this was easy
    I have the earliest (I think) Ntrak holiday car, from 1997, and I remember hearing that they would never do a car like that again, it took many members countless hours to affix the individual stripes ...

xmas1997.jpg

Dave

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 56Pontiac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you had a DeLorean with a flux capacitor you could've saved yourself all that tedious decalling and bought yourself one of these-

https://www.pwrs.ca/archive/dyn.Marc...Doodlebugs.php

Back in '06 I bought one, it was the second one I bought. First one was in '98 when they first came out, an undecorated that I attempted to do as a Canadian Pacific but without any reference photos I kinda winged it and well, let's just say I missed the mark.

The PWRS one never ran right, and really long story short I eventually came to realize its the white gear thing.

Tonight I de-moth balled my original ('98) and after a couple laps on my 2x4 test loop it was running fine, albeit as noisy as I remember lol. Probably hasn't ran in 10+ years.

Based on my limited experience I'd say you got one of the good ones and I wouldn't be overly concerned about gears-I think they would've failed by now.

But back to your tedious decalling-nice work, your doodlebug great! So much so I just bought a newer DCC version off Epay that I'm going to swap the PWRS shell onto, as this thread has reminded me just how cool looking a CPR doodlebug is.

Keith
    The Northern Alberta Railways, once the 3rd largest railway in Canada.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riderfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought one of those Bachmann doodlebugs when they first came out, hardly ever ran it, and it was rather noisy.

I decided to convert it to an 8-wheel drive Tomytec frame just to get it to quiet down, and in the process of testing it, the wheels literally fell off due to Bachmann white gear disease cracking. At that point it was do-or-die on the conversion.

The conversion to Tomytec drive was very successful though, construction thread is here: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/in...?topic=45919.0
    Randgust N scale kits web page at www.randgust.com

16. The Following User Says Thank You to randgust For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@randgustWow, that's a great rebuild you did there. If my unit packs up I will go down the same road. As it is, it doesn't get much rail time but does look good sitting in a siding. Thanks for that.
    Thanks, Tom