0 Thread(s)

Well done, it's always nice to hear of a happy conclusion to a story
    Thanks, Tom

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have one, sans sound. The Intermountain SD40-2s, as Spooks noted, require an extensive break-in period. Like.. significantly higher than any other loco I own. It took mine a couple of weeks of use before it started to settle down into more consistent behaviour.

I did some messing around with some of the CVs too, but they really, really need a good break-in.

As for warming up, some require a warmup period. Every Atlas loco I own performs like meh until it's had about 5 minutes of roundy-round. After that they perform quite nicely and consistently.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

Well I spoke to soon on my last update. I ended up sending this unit back to InterMountain as the motor started making some bad noises. I got it back last week and it is running much better and a lot quieter.

I have now started to run it with some cars hooked on and I have found that it is occasionally uncoupling at one spot on my layout. I donít have any other engines that uncouple. I put the engine up to my Micro Trains Coupler Gauge and I found that the rear coupler was about 1/2 a coupler too high. The front coupler was right on.

My inital thought was that the shell wasnít on properly but it was fine. I then thought maybe the decoder was holding the shell up a bit so I removed the decoder and put the shell back on to check it. Same result the coupler is still high so I know it isnít the decoder. I then removed the fuel tank thinking maybe it was the problem but it wasnít.

So so now Iím thinking I need to remove the coupler and put a spacer in to drop it down a bit. This will involve making a spacer and filing the coupler slot in the shell a bit larger to accommodate both the coupler and the spacer. As I have never done this before I thought I would ask if this sounds like the correct solution or if there is something else I could look at doing.

I would appreciate any advice.
    Regards,
    Warren

Thanks
    Thanked 8,835 Times in 2,864 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by African Pirate View Post
    So so now I’m thinking I need to remove the coupler and put a spacer in to drop it down a bit. This will involve making a spacer and filing the coupler slot in the shell a bit larger to accommodate both the coupler and the spacer.
    If you need to lower the coupler, you may need to file a bit off the bottom of the opening, but check first!
    If you have any MTL couplers that you've installed recently, they usually come with a Universal Shim or two. These are designed to adjust the coupler height.

They are the top item depicted in this photo.

The Little Rock Line blog

ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,900 Times in 586 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by African Pirate View Post
    This will involve making a spacer and filing the coupler slot in the shell a bit larger to accommodate both the coupler and the spacer.
    Just modify the spacer until it fits. I had to do this too with my IM SD40-2. If you have to modify anything else, shave off a little bit of the bottom of the COUPLER box with a file. Don't modify the shell unless you absolutely must. It is easier/cheaper to replace a botched coupler than a botched shell.
    Bronman - "Trains and Legos... you can't have too many of them."

My Layout Build Thread - The Spokane & Eastern Washington
    - Featuring motive power by Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Montana Rail Link and Amtrak in Spokane and Eastern Washington in the mid-1990's.

"That's just dumb, D-U-M, dumb." - Me.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post: