Thread: 3/16 Foamboard Section

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 3/16 Foamboard Section

What are the drawbacks of 3/16 foamboard. It warps? Surface strength for mounting mechanical fastners is weak? Can anything be done to make it more robust?

Want to attempt a small module/section of the lightest material possible. So far my best idea for a connector plate is 3/16 plywood. Just can't see foamboard being strong enough for that purpose..unless it is strengthened.
    Last edited by Rook; 11th Jun 2019 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think form board would cut it. If you want something very light yet durable. If you don't have a table saw, get your local big box store to rip a 1/4x4'x8' sanded pine into 3" or 4" strips for your frame. Very light weight, easy to glue and enough purchase to screw into or put in a small framing nail. Nail gun and wood glue works great. Top it off with 1" foam board and you are ready to go.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-x...6014/100063669

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback. I know you are giving me good advice. Wish I had seen the 1in foam before buying the 3/16 or the 2in foam. When I started reading about trains, for some reason I went into hoarding mode and collected every cardboard box and styrofoam packing that people left in the apt laundry room. I want this stuff gone. I need to see this silly idea thru and get it out of my system...hopefully lol.

@Dave...your bench looks plenty skookum yet not to heavy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rook For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 452 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On my last layout I used 1/4" underlayment plywood. It was just glued together, no fasteners. Biggest drawback is you need a flat surface to do the glue-up. See here for an example. Since then I've gone to using 1/2" cabinet plywood, again glued, but put together with a brad nailer. Not as light, but solid and I'm not planning on moving it.
    Tim Rumph
    Modeling the Southern Railway in N-Scale

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to use foam then I recommend trying to source something called Gatorboard. Online art shops will sell it.
    Both the outer skin and interior foam are much tougher than regular foam board. So much so that sometimes I struggled to cut it with a Stanley knife.

It's not bomb-proof though. It will still dent if it lands corner first on a hard floor. It didn't write the module off though, just made one of the corners look a little less neat.

Simon
    http://nscalenotes.com/
    My blog real-World locations that might make interesting layouts, modules or dioramas.

Find out more about my N scale 3D printed tanktainer models:
    http://nscalenotes.com/category/mode...ng/3dprinting/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 988 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    What are the drawbacks of 3/16 foamboard. It warps?
    Yes it can, depending on what particular foamboard you use. I used Elmer's brand in a couple of thicknesses and it warps when exposed to water, such as when you are flooding an area with diluted glue to hold ground cover down or ballasting. The gator board mentioned above is supposed to be better, and @ChicagoNW (who unfortunately hasn't been on here in a while) used something called foamcore, if I remember correctly. Go for the high grade stuff if you're going to use it, not all foamboard is the same.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the Elmers foam board. It didn't turn out horrible lol. Would it help to cover the paper deck with the for sale signs made of styrene? Will be interesting to lay some track while these are connected and see how they come apart and go back together a few times. It will be a good place for a programming track and to practice some scenery if nothing else.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 988 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    I have the Elmers foam board. It didn't turn out horrible lol. Would it help to cover the paper deck with the for sale signs made of styrene? Will be interesting to lay some track while these are connected and see how they come apart and go back together a few times. It will be a good place for a programming track and to practice some scenery if nothing else.
    I didn't have any issues at that point either - it wasn't until I got the Elmer's foam board wet by adding sculptamold and then with diluted glue to hold scenery material down that it started to warp.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post: