Thread: BIG BOY HEADED FOR THE MIDWEST! (Including WISCONSIN!)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,173 Times in 745 Posts
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default BIG BOY HEADED FOR THE MIDWEST! (Including WISCONSIN!)

Union Pacific Steam Club Update No. 8 - June 13, 2019
    The Big Boy No. 4014 is headed back out on the Union Pacific system beginning July 8 for a tour, taking it through Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Wyoming.Called the Great Race Across the Midwest, the tour will include displays at the following locations:
    • July 13-14: Omaha, Neb. (paid admission required through Railroad Days)
    • July 18: St. Paul, Minn.
    • July 20: Duluth, Minn.
    • July 23: Altoona, Wis.
    • July 27-29: Chicago, Ill.
    • Aug. 1: Des Moines, Iowa
    • Aug. 3: Omaha, Neb.
    • Aug. 6: North Platte, Neb.

The full schedule and route map are online in the Steam section of UP.com.
    You can follow No. 4014 as it makes its way across the system via our Steam Locomotive Tracking map, which traces No. 4014's location using GPS. The location is continuously updated when the train is on the move.You also can track the Big Boy via the @UP_Steam Twitter page at http://twitter.com/up_steam. The account tweets the train's location as it changes.Find both the tracking map and Twitter feed, along with steam schedule information, at upsteam.com.The Experience the Union Pacific Rail Car, a new, multi-media walk-through exhibition providing a glimpse at the past while telling the story of modern-day railroading, will accompany the Big Boy on this tour. Find out more.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if my spouse would understand if I told her I was going to look at a train and was gone for a few days?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting this. Looks like it will be in my neck of the woods West Chicago July 30 can’t wait to check it out.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Some tips for you all. 4014 will overnight at Adams, WI. Wisconsin State 21 has a section between Wyeville and Necedah where the UP ROW is next to the road...great for chasing or just observing.

A scenic hot spot would be the bridge over Buffalo Lake near Packwaukee...this is right after the ROW crosses what once was the P-Line of the Soo and just yards to the East of where the line crosses I-39 just north of the Packwaukee exit. There's also a nice grade crossing on County F, South of Montello, WI and the line goes under State Hwy 22 South of Montello as well.

I plan on spending a good deal of time chasing from Wyeville to Adams, and the next morning I'm borrowing a friend's fishing boat and heading out on Buffalo Lake super early to take pics. I'll be the nut in an old 16 foot Mirro-Craft with a thermos of coffee and a bunch of cameras.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Even better/easier. There's a little road called 7th Avenue that has a small bridge that goes over a small creek. From this bridge, it's 1700 feet out to the center of Buffalo Lake with a perfect viewing spot of where 4014 will cross. Gonna grab my wife, a picnic breakfast and the canoe and head out there early on the morning the train leaves Adams and be in a great spot for pictures. Hopefully there will be a train or two beforehand that I can check my position against. It gets light out early now, so why not head out a couple hours early and drown some worms while we're at it?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't think I can do the chase from Wyeville to Necedah AND meet the train at County J W. of Friendship, so I might just pick the meet at J. The crossing there offers a great photo op, just the right angle.

Can you tell that I'm excited? This kind of thing never seems to happen in Wisconsin, we're always forgotten. This is so cool!!!!

countyj.jpg

10. The Following User Says Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

DBR

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! We've seen a space shuttle launch from Cape Canaveral (what a rush! the ground shook and the roar was incredible!) but this might be as good! Might have to cash in some frequent flyer miles and come up to my birthplace (Go Badgers! and ... I was AT the game when Bart Starr won over the evil Dallas team in the final seconds, you know, the "Ice Bowl") and see that bad boy. (And I am one of the lucky ones, my wife enjoys trains as much as I do.)

Thanks for the info!!

Dave

Thanks
    Thanked 4,105 Times in 931 Posts
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what I'll be doing on July 18

-Mark

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 56Pontiac View Post
    Wow! We've seen a space shuttle launch from Cape Canaveral (what a rush! the ground shook and the roar was incredible!) but this might be as good! Might have to cash in some frequent flyer miles and come up to my birthplace (Go Badgers! and ... I was AT the game when Bart Starr won over the evil Dallas team in the final seconds, you know, the "Ice Bowl") and see that bad boy. (And I am one of the lucky ones, my wife enjoys trains as much as I do.)

Thanks for the info!!

Dave
    C'mon up! I would say that the best viewing ops are probably going to be on July 23 at Altoona, WI (near Eau Claire) and July 24 at Adams, WI. It won't be accessible in Milwaukee on the 25th. Adams is a podunky town with a good sized UP yard and there will probably be lots of opportunity to see the train and loco while it's there.

Or, consider Duluth, MN, where she'll spend two days from 5 pm Friday July 19 thru Sunday July 21 at the very excellent Lake Superior Railroad Museum. They also run steam excursions up the North Shore (but probably not with 4014)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

DBR