Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Swapping underframes...

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    4,585
    Thanks
    6,191
    Thanked 7,693 Times in 2,532 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post

    https://www.nscale.net/forums/attach...4&d=1561046276

    After shooting this pic, I wonder if I could simply file the mount down a little bit after removing the screw, then re-countersink the hole so the screw head fits it?
    In case anyone is wondering, I wound up removing the screw and ground off the entire mounting tab for the screw.
    This allowed me to use a coupler mounted MTL 1035 Barber Roller bearing truck.

    This has the downside that nothing now holds the two tank halves together, but since this car had enough weight and I shouldn't need to see the inside of it again, I used a very fine needle tip and spot welded the halves together with a few drops of MEK. This will allow me to pop the halves apart again if needed.

    I also did something different on these cars, I had enough metal wheels left over from some of my weathering projects so I thought I use them on the cars.
    The Little Rock Line blog


    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 142 Times in 21 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    To add to the discussion, which there are a few topics floating around in this thread...

    1) MTL slinky effect and attempts to resolve it. I've had good luck resolving that effect by putting the spring in to the coupler box sideways. This pretty much eliminates all the slinky. It does however introduce a coupler that does not automatically center itself in the box. It still opens and closes properly for operation, but you have to line it to be coupled, just like real railroads.

    2) Body mounting tank cars. I've found that the Micro Trains 1017 Passenger Car Body Mounts are great for this. Granted, I have only experimented with MDC/Roundhouse tanks. But, looking at the screw locations in this thread, and the tutorial that was linked, you could use the existing screw for the body halves and go through the mount on the MTL. This is very similar to Wutter's Shapeways boxes, but the MTL has a much thinner mounting area, so it doesn't interfere with the truck.
    Doug M.
    Modeling the Arizona & California Railroad in N Scale


    Visit my blog at parkerlocoworks.blogspot.com to see more of my models
    Visit my Facebook page www.facebook.com/nscalearzc to see more of my layout build

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerlocoworks For This Useful Post:


  4. #23
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    4,585
    Thanks
    6,191
    Thanked 7,693 Times in 2,532 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerlocoworks View Post
    To add to the discussion, which there are a few topics floating around in this thread...
    What are saying Doug? That I made a mess of this thread?

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerlocoworks View Post
    1) MTL slinky effect and attempts to resolve it. I've had good luck resolving that effect by putting the spring in to the coupler box sideways. This pretty much eliminates all the slinky. It does however introduce a coupler that does not automatically center itself in the box. It still opens and closes properly for operation, but you have to line it to be coupled, just like real railroads.
    Having to align the couplers made add to the OP's?


    Quote Originally Posted by parkerlocoworks View Post
    2) Body mounting tank cars. I've found that the Micro Trains 1017 Passenger Car Body Mounts are great for this. Granted, I have only experimented with MDC/Roundhouse tanks. But, looking at the screw locations in this thread, and the tutorial that was linked, you could use the existing screw for the body halves and go through the mount on the MTL. This is very similar to Wutter's Shapeways boxes, but the MTL has a much thinner mounting area, so it doesn't interfere with the truck.
    I've heard of this, but didn't know that they offered just the couplers.
    I see how this might work?
    But on those Atlas 20,700 cars that screw mount may still have to be removed or maybe the couplers installed upside down?
    The Little Rock Line blog


    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

  5. #24
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Parker, CO
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 142 Times in 21 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    What are saying Doug? That I made a mess of this thread?
    Of course that's what I'm saying! Ha, no, I just wanted to preface by responding to a couple of things that came up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    Having to align the couplers made add to the OP's?
    This was my thought when I started down the road. It also helps when you have cars on curves that need to be coupled. However, the folks that have operated have not enjoyed doing this, I'm not sure why, maybe because it was something new that they had never encountered, being used to just shoving into a car to couple. But even then, I've been in ops where I need to poke a coupler and hold it in position while I shove back, so who knows. I like having to look at the coupler and to align it before moving.

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    I've heard of this, but didn't know that they offered just the couplers.
    I see how this might work?
    But on those Atlas 20,700 cars that screw mount may still have to be removed or maybe the couplers installed upside down?
    Yup, they offer just the couplers, and in 10 packs to boot. They are an underslung coupler (pretty sure it's a 2004), so they work well with tank cars, I don't think you would have to adjust anything with the install. And worse case, you can probably swap the guts and just use the mount and box.
    Doug M.
    Modeling the Arizona & California Railroad in N Scale


    Visit my blog at parkerlocoworks.blogspot.com to see more of my models
    Visit my Facebook page www.facebook.com/nscalearzc to see more of my layout build

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerlocoworks For This Useful Post:


  7. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SE of Melbourne
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 76 Times in 38 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    The Athearn trucks are held on by small screws that thread into an extended post on the underframe. Because of this, the bolster holes on the Athearn trucks are a smaller diameter than the bolster holes on the MTL trucks which equates to too much slop in the MTL trucks. Also the screws have a small head that is smaller than the MTL bolster holes. Also the extended post does not extend far enough through the MTL truck frames enough so that a washer (the little black shim washers that come with the MTL replacement trucks) can be used to hold the MTL trucks in place without exerting too much pressure which then does not allow the trucks to swivel freely.
    I encountered this problem with my Athearn ATSF ice reefers, and solved the "slop" issue with a small piece of plastic drinking straw. I also used the MTL washer with the screw and it all works fine.

    Here's a link to a blog post that I did covering the subject, complete with photos.
    https://gulflines.blogspot.com/2017/...trucks-on.html

    Regards,
    Ron

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron McF For This Useful Post:


  9. #26
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    4,585
    Thanks
    6,191
    Thanked 7,693 Times in 2,532 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks @Ron McF.
    I remember seeing that posted on your blog. Completely forgot about that.
    The Little Rock Line blog


    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

  10. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Zombietopia, Washington
    Posts
    5,027
    Thanks
    17,457
    Thanked 11,608 Times in 3,323 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ohhh, Moose was avoiding this thread because Moose thought the thread title was "swapping underwear. " Moose-bad...
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

    "Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

    Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:


  12. #28
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    4,585
    Thanks
    6,191
    Thanked 7,693 Times in 2,532 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    The Little Rock Line blog


    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:


  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    949
    Thanks
    2,196
    Thanked 888 Times in 486 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose2013 View Post
    Ohhh, Moose was avoiding this thread because Moose thought the thread title was "swapping underwear. " Moose-bad...
    Now hold on one dang minute there Moose! I have NEVER seen a Moose wear underwear before. They are all go "commando".

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:


  16. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sequim, WA
    Posts
    2,643
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    8,904
    Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose2013 View Post
    Ohhh, Moose was avoiding this thread because Moose thought the thread title was "swapping underwear. " Moose-bad...
    There is no possible means, other than perhaps a partial lobotomy, to get that image out of my head. ...

  17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:


  18. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Zombietopia, Washington
    Posts
    5,027
    Thanks
    17,457
    Thanked 11,608 Times in 3,323 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    Now hold on one dang minute there Moose! I have NEVER seen a Moose wear underwear before. They are all go "commando".
    Moose never said anything about Moose wearing underwear. Nope, free and LOVING IT!
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

    "Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

    Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:


  20. #32
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    4,585
    Thanks
    6,191
    Thanked 7,693 Times in 2,532 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oh man! Not sure which is worse @Paul Schmidt?
    The vision of a moose swapping underwear or a moose with no underwear?
    The Little Rock Line blog


    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:


  22. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Zombietopia, Washington
    Posts
    5,027
    Thanks
    17,457
    Thanked 11,608 Times in 3,323 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    Oh man! Not sure which is worse @Paul Schmidt?
    The vision of a moose swapping underwear or a moose with no underwear?
    Moose is more than a little concerned that you're actually trying to envision what a moose would look like, with or without undies.

    FYI If, and that's a big if, Moose were to wear underwear, it be boxers. No tighty whities for this Moose. Da boys gotta be free!
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

    "Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

    Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:


  24. #34
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    4,585
    Thanks
    6,191
    Thanked 7,693 Times in 2,532 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose2013 View Post
    Moose is more than a little concerned that you're actually trying to envision what a moose would look like, with or without undies.

    FYI If, and that's a big if, Moose were to wear underwear, it be boxers. No tighty whities for this Moose. Da boys gotta be free!

    Ok ok, that helps a little moose.
    I can see boxers on a moose as long as they're plaid flannel?
    The Little Rock Line blog


    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

  25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:


  26. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    949
    Thanks
    2,196
    Thanked 888 Times in 486 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    Ok ok, that helps a little moose.
    I can see boxers on a moose as long as they're plaid flannel?
    No, no, no, safety orange to avoid hunters!

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Looking for a little help re shell swapping
    By Spookshow in forum Motive Power
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11th Oct 2018, 11:51 AM
  2. Atlas SD7/9 Shell swapping
    By azNscale in forum Diesel
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th Oct 2010, 09:37 PM
  3. EMD E and F series shell swapping.
    By Sean Barry in forum Diesel
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21st Sep 2010, 11:25 PM
  4. How do you build Bogie-equipped Wagon Underframes?
    By MikeS in forum Scratchbuilding & Kit Bashing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13th May 2007, 04:53 PM
  5. Swapping Trucks out...
    By Bryan in forum Rollingstock
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th Oct 2004, 12:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •