Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Model Drought

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Model Drought

I've been monitoring the thread about the NSE Convention this year and also what other sources have to say, and I am very disappointed with what information came out from the manufacturers breakfast. It has been almost 1 year since the China factory debacle, yet all we are getting is a whole lot of I don't knows from the manufacturers. I've had pre-orders in on a number of products from different manufacturers, and all I am getting is a continuous rolling back of expected delivery dates, and in some cases I am being told it will be a number of years before what I pre-ordered is available.

Now I realize the manufacturers got screwed by the Chinese Factory closing (although it was partly their own fault relying on a single source of production), but come on, they have had almost a solid year to find new plants but the situation shows no improvement. How are the manufacturers staying afloat financially? I don't see how they are coming even close to breaking even when they have no product to sell. And just consider the current situation, it has become a vicious circle now. Manufacturers will not even think about producing something without a specific number of pre-orders, but why should a modeler commit to pre-ordering something when currently it may be years before they get the product? Further I am told by my local hobby shop to expect major price increases when products again become available, and this is not just because of tariffs. So when new products become available they are going to cost 50% or more higher than they did before last August I am being told.

So where do we go from here? Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dragoon 45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 372 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just been focusing on getting custom items made instead of buying factory items. That's been keeping me busy.
    Did someone say whitcomb?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Intermodalman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,089 Times in 2,629 Posts
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I can't imagine just how much of a logistical nightmare it's been and is still going to be until things level out.
    Not only getting things set up in another factory, but then trying to get the new factories to produce what the companies expect.
    The communication and training alone could take some time.

As for prices, who knows what route that will take, but I imagine it'll be the gas prices over the last decade, someone will sneeze and the up the prices go! Anything that happens, no matter how minor will raise the costs and I'm sure the companies will take full advantage of this in anyway they can and will raise prices as much as they think they can get away with. I'm sure the cost of productions will increase as well.
    I think I've already read somewhere that anything that you have pre-ordered, will or has the possibility of increasing in price from what you reserved it for?

Unfortunately, I don't think there will be much anyone can do about this other than to NOT buy the stuff or cancel your orders or bite the bullet.
    I'm sure the companies are feeling the pinch as well, another reason that they'll more than likely raise the prices to make up for losses during this mess.
    About the only thing we can do is wait and see what happens.

Like Intermodalman stated, I'm taking advantage of this and am working on my layout since scenery material has not been affected.
    Luckily at this point in the game, I have just about everything I'll ever need and then some. Sure there are some things I've been waiting on, but nothing that I need. If I don't get them, oh well...
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a great topic, @Dragoon 45. I think you've made some thoughtful observations and summed up the fiasco nicely. Apart from Rapido and Micro-Trains, the major manufacturers have put themselves into a real bind.

I won't play the pre-order game. Did that with Blackstone in early 2015 for a K-28. They're still not here and delivery is TBD. Cancelled my order.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    Luckily at this point in the game, I have just about everything I'll ever need and then some. Sure there are some things I've been waiting on, but nothing that I need. If I don't get them, oh well...
    Same here, Allen. If I can't find it at the local hobby shop or on the evil water inlet site, I don't need it. I have enough unused N scale stuff to build two other layouts. Or I can convert some of it to HOn30 if I want, or delve into HO traction.

I'm at my peak earning years, but I'm essentially done chasing most N and HO manufacturers around. ....

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,372 Times in 674 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually the lull in products (for me anyway has been welcome). What I mean by that is, for the past year I have taken my hobby allowance, and tucked it away to a fairly nice stockpile. Now in the next year when the product I want come out I can pull the trigger on them, and purchase the quantity I need instead of multiple items coming out at the same time, and having to choose. Maybe that's not the best way to look at it, but that's my thinking.
    My build thread: http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...t-do-you-think

If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It is much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.
    - Admiral Grace Hopper

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to migalyto For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,690 Times in 514 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    I'm at my peak earning years, but I'm essentially done chasing most N and HO manufacturers around. .
    For me I have finally gotten to the point where I've gotten enough promotions, raises, paid off enough debts and completed enough projects that I can finally spend money on this hobby and most of what I need hasn't been made in years. I search on eBay and Facebook and see things like RARE or vintage and a really big price tag.

Anyone wanna sell me some Woodchip cars? $30 a car is not reasonable.

I HAVE picked up a couple things here and there, but would like to see more things for my road and era.

It seems like there IS stuff being produced, but it's all that other scale that's too big for its britches.
    Bronman - "Trains and Legos... you can't have too many of them."

My Layout Build Thread - The Spokane & Eastern Washington
    - Featuring motive power by Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Montana Rail Link and Amtrak in Spokane and Eastern Washington in the mid-1990's.

"That's just dumb, D-U-M, dumb." - Me.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,147 Times in 2,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    I won't play the pre-order game. Did that with Blackstone in early 2015 for a K-28. They're still not here and delivery is TBD. Cancelled my order.
    Maybe the problem is that not enough people are pre-ordering , so the manufacturers see no reason to develop and make the products.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Janbouli View Post
    Maybe the problem is that not enough people are pre-ordering , so the manufacturers see no reason to develop and make the products.
    In general, that's a likely scenario, @Janbouli. Specifically to Blackstone, the K-28 and K-36 products have been in development for years -- announced in 2014, IIRC. No indication that pre-orders or lack thereof is affecting progress. But that's all HOn3 stuff, so out of context here.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Paul , I spoke with someone at Blackstone last summer . Their coming , what he said , at this point , they have spent money developing them that they pretty much have to get them built . At the time they were looking for a new draftsman to make some changes . But I do wish they would keep us a bit better informed ....Mike

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mikec6201 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My old roommate had ordered some Nn3 K-28's & K-36's from Lok-14(????) years ago when they announced them, he plunked down the money for them and waited and waited and waited.
    I think it was about two years before he got a note that they cancelled them due to lack of pre-orders.
    But he get his money back.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,392 Times in 977 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TBH, I haven't felt deprived in the least. But that's just me

-Mark

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed a decline after not making any purchases or per orders in the last two years. I think the current pre order model will go bust. I like n scale but for me its becoming very limited at my current state. Changes will come its just a matter of what kind.

Emmanuel Dominguez

23. The Following User Says Thank You to emmdom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,008 Times in 1,311 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I haven’t found anything I need in short supply. IM has a bunch of new cars shipping the 15th. Atlas and Athearn both had containers ship recently. Scale Train and ExactRail have new products available.

It would be nice to see the TrainWorx dump trucks sooner than later.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 404 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've spent so little on the hobby in the last year, that I purchased a CD.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpwisc View Post
    IM has a bunch of new cars shipping the 15th.
    What cars?

- Featuring motive power by Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Montana Rail Link and Amtrak in Spokane and Eastern Washington in the mid-1990's.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronman View Post
    What cars?
    Nevermind, found it:

https://www.intermountain-railway.co...omingsoon.html

Funny, it was updated June 26th, I last visited June 25th.

Good news, Canadian grain hoppers are in production!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,051 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Very good news on the Canadian Hoppers
    I just spotted about 6 years worth of budget there of CP stuff....im screwed

Steve

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't say that Intermountain is my favorite supplier anyway. They announced the SD40-2 in Southern high hood that was supposed to be available in summer 2014. They finally came out last year, and I got what I needed, and that was without the recent supplier disruptions.
    Tim Rumph
    Modeling the Southern Railway in N-Scale

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started this thread because of the Manufacturers keeping their customers in the dark. Intermountain is one of the chief culprits. I'm on the hook for a large number of their Santa Fe Ice Reefers that were supposed to be out last year, yet now I am being told they will be out late next year if I am lucky. So I will have been waiting for them at least 3 years if I am lucky and possibly a lot longer if I am unlucky. And this is just one example of how screwed up things are IMO. And I have lost count of the number of models I pre-ordered only to have them cancelled because of not enough pre-orders.

Couple the above with the situation of the last year in China and I am very disappointed in Atlas, Intermountain, just to name a few manufacturers.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragoon 45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon 45 View Post
    I started this thread because of the Manufacturers keeping their customers in the dark. Intermountain is one of the chief culprits. I'm on the hook for a large number of their Santa Fe Ice Reefers that were supposed to be out last year, yet now I am being told they will be out late next year if I am lucky. So I will have been waiting for them at least 3 years if I am lucky and possibly a lot longer if I am unlucky. And this is just one example of how screwed up things are IMO. And I have lost count of the number of models I pre-ordered only to have them cancelled because of not enough pre-orders.

Couple the above with the situation of the last year in China and I am very disappointed in Atlas, Intermountain, just to name a few manufacturers.

Ok, I guess I don't understand where you're coming from saying you're on the hook about some reefers you have on order?
    I snipped the following directly from IMRC's page that was linked to upthread.

Updated June 26, 2019
    InterMountain N Scale Advance Reservations
    Listed below are the N scale items we are planning to produce. The list is updated monthly, removing the current months releases from the list, and adding new items that we are taking advance reservations for.

If an item is listed as "Taking Reservations" please let your favorite hobby dealer know that you would like the item. Reservations are NO RISK to you, we do not require any deposit and you may cancel your reservation at any time.

For a larger photo of any item in which you are interested, click on the thumbnail photo below.
    For detailed information about the new product status descriptions, please CLICK HERE
    I had several of the 50' Gunderson high cube boxcars on order from IMRC for the last 4-5 years since they announced them.
    Several months ago I had my dealer cancel them as I was tired of waiting for them and I had chose to use something different and also decided to downsize and focus my modeling needs and wants.
    Now I see that they are confirmed for production. But I'm not gonna hold my breath until I see them advertised for immediate sale. If I get some, I get some, if not.......oh well.

And that you're very disappointed in Atlas, Intermountain and others because of the situation in China recently???
    Like they had any control over that?

For these companies, it's a business so they can make a living.
    They are not in business to only make a few happy.
    Last edited by Allen H.; 8th Jul 2019 at 06:03 PM. Reason: formatting

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post: