Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Walthers Interview on Fox Business

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Downers Grove, IL, USA
    Posts
    580
    Thanks
    247
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 344 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Walthers Interview on Fox Business

    Stacey Walthers Naffar was interviewed on Fox Business yesterday about China tariffs.

    Skip to the 1:10 minutes mark if you just want the Walthers part of the story.

    https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6057...#sp=show-clips
    AT64

    What is real? What mysteries lie beyond your senses? At the root of existence, mind and body meet. Thoughts shape reality. Supreme Sorceress AKA The Ancient One.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to astrotrain64 For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sequim, WA
    Posts
    2,664
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    8,980
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,533 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Waahh. Walthers, Atlas, et al should have thought carefully about the eventual possibility of tariffs before jumping into bed with a country decidedly hostile to the United States.

    Model trains should not be exempted. They are non-essential items.

    Find another country to do business with, bring manufacturing back here, or suck it up, buttercup.

  4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mill Bay BC
    Posts
    2,858
    Thanks
    4,796
    Thanked 4,025 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sounds like the Anchor Lady was calling them Walters ....maybe a little study time before you do a report on TV ?

    Steve

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Battle Lake MN, USA
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 158 Times in 72 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    We, that is the US have been on the bad side of trade deals sense the early 70's. Lot of history involved in the changes that occurred from say 1970 to 1980 that affected world markets. During the Carter/Reagan recession people were yelling and screaming about the differences in tariffs but none of our politicians of any party were willing deal with it (lacked the moral courage/didn't fit their agenda) and the can just got kicked down the road. Now our current POTUS is stirring the pot. Anyone who didn't think this was going to affect us? May be a short term issue. And if China caves the tariffs on stuff coming in won't change much if at all. In other words they are crying wolf.

    Rick

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldtanker For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NJ, near old Lehigh Valley RR
    Posts
    2,551
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    7,717
    Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Interesting that the media chose our hobby as an example.

    Beyond that, hard to not get political .

    These tariff threats are being used for leverage and not intended to be permanent. As in other industries, it is forcing manufacturers to source from other places. Could argue this is healthy for businesses.
    I don't disagree with @Paul Schmidt regarding China's hostility to US business. We/consumers have benefited immensely over past decades with low prices. Now it is time to pay the piper and look to manufacture elsewhere.
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

    The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802


  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cincy-whatzit, Ohio
    Posts
    6,690
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    8,993
    Thanked 8,117 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes, prices will have to increase... but haven't we seen our niche market adjust to price expectations already in other ways? I started in N scale prior to the advent of DCC, and as it got introduced it was first thought of as an add-on cost. Now, engines tend to just come with the right electrical guts, and the sticker price is inclusive. So many manufacturers are bringing $200 and up engines into production, when it used to be that such a price point was for limited-run brass only. I don't wince (that much) at a $20 freight car these days, when I used to have expectations of $5 to $10. I know inflation plays a role, but I think in general the bar for quality and features has been going up, and prices with it, and we've all been re-calibrating our hobby dollars accordingly.

    So I'm not worried about the impact of a Walthers price increase (presumably by other manufacturers too). One potential beneficiary I see will be the adoption of 3D printing technology, as more folks may decide to become self-reliant. As manufacturer costs rise, it may push them more towards high-quality, high-dollar offerings, leaving the basic stuff to be done by Shapeways or other print-to-order services.

    Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:


  13. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sequim, WA
    Posts
    2,664
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    8,980
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,533 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post
    Interesting that the media chose our hobby as an example.
    Ours is a niche hobby, and Walthers is practically invisible outside the hobby. I think Fox Business was steered toward it. Either an editor or producer at Fox Business is a model railroader and knows Walthers is a player, or Fox Business got a press release from a PR firm -- toy trains in the midst of a trade war generate nostalgia and sympathy, and maybe even anger.

    Remember, I used to work in the media. I know how these people think and the tactics they employ when pushing an agenda.

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:


  15. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mill Bay BC
    Posts
    2,858
    Thanks
    4,796
    Thanked 4,025 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    My thoughts as a consumer in the rest of the "world" setting

    3D printing is getting better every year . But can it scale up to be competitive with injection molding in price and in most cases detail ? In Canada and the US and Europe , we have a higher standard of living . We are a nation's that enjoy decent wages and a good comfortable lifestyle in most cases . Can someone in a Factory in the US or Canada apply detail parts at a wage that a Chinese worker can live on , and live well on for a country that has a lower standard of living than we do . Yes we all hate the fact that China has controled much of the North American model railroad market . But this has been a good thing for the average joe wanting to do this hobby . It has kept prices lower than your weekly pay check . It has allowed the suppliers to greatly increase the product lines they offer . It HAS grown the industry to what it is today . It brings new people into the hobby . Older people on pensions and young people with families can collect a few things here and there and not make a.choice about eating or not that week or month . I really do wish I could afford to buy from a US or Canadian maker , but I wouldn't be in the hobby for very much longer if I had to pay the prices they would have to charge . I'm not in the group that can only shop "Canadian" made or "US" made in your cases . I simply can't afford the luxury of that . My dollars each and every month for the last 40 years have been based on , but the best I can for the few meager dollars I have . I buy less than more affluent Modelers . I simply can't afford a large budget like some I've seen here and elsewhere . If I were to spend a thousand dollars a year on this hobby , I would consider my self a rich man .
    So I do hope Walthers gets that exemption , cause it will hurt me personally on my chosen hobby and a nice part of my lifestyle that I enjoy . It's already rediculous how much it costs in Canada with the exchange rate . I already pay close to 30 cents on the dollar more than you US residents . Add on a other 30 cents on the dollar for a US traffif , and I'm out for anything new .

    Sorry I know this isnt what most want to hear , but for some us in the world , it's reality

    Steve

  16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:


  17. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Battle Lake MN, USA
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 158 Times in 72 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post

    Remember, I used to work in the media. I know how these people think and the tactics they employ when pushing an agenda.
    Didn't know that. Now I do I'll treat you with considerably less respect...... (sorry couldn't resist)

    Quote Originally Posted by aflica View Post
    My thoughts as a consumer in the rest of the "world" setting

    3D printing is getting better every year . But can it scale up to be competitive with injection molding in price and in most cases detail ? In Canada and the US and Europe , we have a higher standard of living . We are a nation's that enjoy decent wages and a good comfortable lifestyle in most cases . Can someone in a Factory in the US or Canada apply detail parts at a wage that a Chinese worker can live on , and live well on for a country that has a lower standard of living than we do . Yes we all hate the fact that China has controled much of the North American model railroad market . But this has been a good thing for the average joe wanting to do this hobby . It has kept prices lower than your weekly pay check . It has allowed the suppliers to greatly increase the product lines they offer . It HAS grown the industry to what it is today . It brings new people into the hobby . Older people on pensions and young people with families can collect a few things here and there and not make a.choice about eating or not that week or month . I really do wish I could afford to buy from a US or Canadian maker , but I wouldn't be in the hobby for very much longer if I had to pay the prices they would have to charge . I'm not in the group that can only shop "Canadian" made or "US" made in your cases . I simply can't afford the luxury of that . My dollars each and every month for the last 40 years have been based on , but the best I can for the few meager dollars I have . I buy less than more affluent Modelers . I simply can't afford a large budget like some I've seen here and elsewhere . If I were to spend a thousand dollars a year on this hobby , I would consider my self a rich man .
    So I do hope Walthers gets that exemption , cause it will hurt me personally on my chosen hobby and a nice part of my lifestyle that I enjoy . It's already rediculous how much it costs in Canada with the exchange rate . I already pay close to 30 cents on the dollar more than you US residents . Add on a other 30 cents on the dollar for a US traffif , and I'm out for anything new .

    Sorry I know this isnt what most want to hear , but for some us in the world , it's reality

    Steve
    I think that any increases in prices are going to result in people being willing to start thinking along the lines of HMMMM OK 3D printer 260 US dollars. Free downloads. 5cents to a couple of bucks US for eac item........OK so I lose a little detail? I can't believe I paid 20 bucks each for a few scraps of plastic worth maybe 5-6 Cents US.

    Really want to see something funny go watch the tractor collectors. They yell and cry about parts for those old tractors not being right "from the land of almost right" then cry about prices. They want top quality at cheap Chinese prices. Yea, I like old tractors too. Have a Ford 860, Farmall 1206, 1948 Cat D4 and a 1974 JCK backhoe. So I spend time on antique tractor sites too.

    Rick

  18. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sequim, WA
    Posts
    2,664
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    8,980
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,533 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aflica View Post
    My thoughts as a consumer in the rest of the "world" setting

    3D printing is getting better every year . But can it scale up to be competitive with injection molding in price and in most cases detail ? In Canada and the US and Europe , we have a higher standard of living . We are a nation's that enjoy decent wages and a good comfortable lifestyle in most cases . Can someone in a Factory in the US or Canada apply detail parts at a wage that a Chinese worker can live on , and live well on for a country that has a lower standard of living than we do . Yes we all hate the fact that China has controled much of the North American model railroad market . But this has been a good thing for the average joe wanting to do this hobby . It has kept prices lower than your weekly pay check . It has allowed the suppliers to greatly increase the product lines they offer . It HAS grown the industry to what it is today . It brings new people into the hobby . Older people on pensions and young people with families can collect a few things here and there and not make a.choice about eating or not that week or month . I really do wish I could afford to buy from a US or Canadian maker , but I wouldn't be in the hobby for very much longer if I had to pay the prices they would have to charge . I'm not in the group that can only shop "Canadian" made or "US" made in your cases . I simply can't afford the luxury of that . My dollars each and every month for the last 40 years have been based on , but the best I can for the few meager dollars I have . I buy less than more affluent Modelers . I simply can't afford a large budget like some I've seen here and elsewhere . If I were to spend a thousand dollars a year on this hobby , I would consider my self a rich man .
    So I do hope Walthers gets that exemption , cause it will hurt me personally on my chosen hobby and a nice part of my lifestyle that I enjoy . It's already rediculous how much it costs in Canada with the exchange rate . I already pay close to 30 cents on the dollar more than you US residents . Add on a other 30 cents on the dollar for a US traffif , and I'm out for anything new .

    Sorry I know this isnt what most want to hear , but for some us in the world , it's reality

    Steve
    Steve, you present valid points worthy of consideration. I can't disagree with you, and I see your dilemma.

    I'd like to offer a chronological synopsis:

    June 1989: Tienemen Square Massacre -- thousands of protesters seeking democratic reform were slaughtered in Beijing, China.

    1999-2019: Almost all mass-produced model railroad products are manufactured in China. Democracy still not realized; China is in essence still a dictatorship that squashes essential human rights. But apparently we're all OK with what happened 30 years ago last month and in the decades that have followed, because we all keep buying Chinese crap and want it cheap. And all that economic interaction still hasn't brought to fruition anything that we supposedly highly value, such as freedom, over there. Because in the end, the Chinese government owns everything there, either in name, through bribes, or by threat of violence.

    Buy hey, just as long as InterMountain or Atlas gets its container here with my pre-orders of cheaply made new toys, what the hell do I care about anyone else?

    Food for thought, and yeah, I'm looking in the mirror. ...

  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:


  20. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    852
    Thanks
    185
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 354 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    June 1989: Tienemen Square Massacre -- thousands of protesters seeking democratic reform were slaughtered in Beijing, China.
    Annd now NSN is blocked in china...
    Did someone say whitcomb?

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Intermodalman For This Useful Post:


  22. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,078
    Thanks
    2,456
    Thanked 660 Times in 375 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Book called "Business makes strange Bedfellows". How true, How true.
    Do not go gentle into that good night - Thomas
    Dana
    US ARMY Ret
    Oil Mill Creek RR - NY, NH & H

  23. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Battle Lake MN, USA
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 158 Times in 72 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Paul, this may sound harsh but so what? I'm a retired soldier. As long as they don't mess with us nothing that goes on inside their borders is any of our business. They can be communist, a dictatorship, religious fundamentalist or whatever. As long as they don't aid or sponsor terrorism or target America or our allies it's nothing we should get involved in. Too many young men and women have been sent into battle for no clear reason that justifies even one of them being injured, much less killed.

    Rick

  24. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Posts
    6,911
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,806
    Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Intermodalman View Post
    Annd now NSN is blocked in china...
    China is blocked at NSN... so I guess it’s only fair
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

  25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:


  26. #15
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cincy-whatzit, Ohio
    Posts
    6,690
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    8,993
    Thanked 8,117 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldtanker View Post
    nothing that goes on inside their borders is any of our business.
    I can mostly get on board with this kind of sentiment, but then this particular thread is talking about the impact of tariffs.

    Tariffs are in regards to trade items which extend outside of a country's borders, it's not just internal any more. When one country's political structure has the effect of reducing its comparative cost of labor, the tariff could theoretically balance things out, to arrive at a more "true" free-market value for trade goods. When a Walthers kit goes up in price due to a tariff, it is getting closer to the price for which it might be able to be profitably produced elsewhere. The problem is that tariffs tend to escalate in a retaliatory fashion, so it is hard to judge when one is a proper market balancer. Things can get out of whack, and then you can see how the things going on inside their borders could become our business, as manufacturers or distributors suffer.

    Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:


  28. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mill Bay BC
    Posts
    2,858
    Thanks
    4,796
    Thanked 4,025 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Paul its not that i dont care about human rights all over the world , i wouldn't be true Canadian if i didn't . Not saying other countries such as the US don't . And it is bad over there to anyone who cares about human freedoms and rights . I do care . But i were to boycott chinese made items , my household belongs could fit in a travel trailer , and i would have no clothes as well . When i go to a store like Walmart , its cause what they sell , allows me to have a ok middle to lower class home . And thats based on my income level . If Walmart stopped selling Chinese made products , the shelves wpuld be empty , and i wold not have a toaster , fry pan ect , i couldn't afford them .

    So yeah , it boils down to i guess me being selfish to a degree , but i want to live as nicely as i can on lower income

    I mean no disrespect by any of the comment i have made , and sorry to any i have offended

    Steve

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:


  30. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sequim, WA
    Posts
    2,664
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    8,980
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,533 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldtanker View Post
    but so what? I'm a retired soldier. As long as they don't mess with us nothing that goes on inside their borders is any of our business.
    Who's said anything about military intervention? How about we first we start with the individual conscience and duty to our fellow man.

    "So what?" Hmmm, last time I checked, it's American dollars from American consumers propping up China's economy, and by default the brutal Chinese government. That's "so what?" We're the ones chiefly at fault. And the hobby's manufacturers for the most part have closed their eyes and hoped no one would really notice. As long as we have our toys and cheap electronics to distract us, it's all good, right?

    Well, looks like it's time to pay the piper, at least in part. We will all have to deal with future purchases according to the dictates of our consciences.

    One thing is for certain, come hell or high water, my next layout will have, to the best of my knowledge, nothing -- nothing -- made in China anywhere on it. If it's N scale, it's all Kato, MT and handlaid track. I think a layout based on a union passenger terminal sounds like fun. Kato makes great passenger equipment in N scale.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:


  32. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sequim, WA
    Posts
    2,664
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    8,980
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,533 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aflica View Post
    Paul its not that i dont care about human rights all over the world , i wouldn't be true Canadian if i didn't . Not saying other countries such as the US don't . And it is bad over there to anyone who cares about human freedoms and rights . I do care . But i were to boycott chinese made items , my household belongs could fit in a travel trailer , and i would have no clothes as well . When i go to a store like Walmart , its cause what they sell , allows me to have a ok middle to lower class home . And thats based on my income level . If Walmart stopped selling Chinese made products , the shelves wpuld be empty , and i wold not have a toaster , fry pan ect , i couldn't afford them .

    So yeah , it boils down to i guess me being selfish to a degree , but i want to live as nicely as i can on lower income

    I mean no disrespect by any of the comment i have made , and sorry to any i have offended

    Steve
    I hear you, Steve. Offended? Not by a long shot. You and I are expressing thoughts about this dilemma we're in, just different sides of the same coin.

    You're absolutely right, we in the middle class are dependent on some of these things. It's almost revolting, but true. And as you said, the exchange rate exacerbates it up there.

    We're damned if we do, damned if we don't.

    Anyway, I've said more than enough. This topic saddens me. ...

  33. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    949
    Thanks
    2,202
    Thanked 888 Times in 486 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    One thing is for certain, come hell or high water, my next layout will have, to the best of my knowledge, nothing -- nothing -- made in China anywhere on it. If it's N scale, it's all Kato, MT and handlaid track. I think a layout based on a union passenger terminal sounds like fun. Kato makes great passenger equipment in N scale.
    Now THAT would be a cool Challenge for everyone! I don't think it can be done 100% but certainly close to it. Once you starting touching electronics, even if it's "Made in USA", there will be components made over there (resistors, capacitors, etc.)

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:


  35. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Posts
    2,961
    Thanks
    1,202
    Thanked 2,767 Times in 975 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by astrotrain64 View Post
    Stacey Walthers Naffar was interviewed on Fox Business yesterday about China tariffs.

    Skip to the 1:10 minutes mark if you just want the Walthers part of the story.

    https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6057...#sp=show-clips
    Since it's coming from Walthers, this must mean it has absolutely no effect on us N scalers, since we all know that Walthers is an HO-centric company.

    ($500 bet that someone here is going to take my reply out of context...because Internet).

    Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

  36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Vintage Train Travel Pictures (and an interview)
    By BryanC (RIP) in forum General Rail Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st Jul 2013, 10:00 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12th Mar 2012, 08:12 PM
  3. Gone out of business.
    By Nbuilder in forum General Rail Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16th Dec 2010, 10:27 AM
  4. Interview with Tony Koester from MR Magazine
    By Thomas Locomotive in forum General Rail Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th Apr 2008, 11:40 AM
  5. Is LBF still in business?
    By jpec in forum General Rail Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31st Dec 2006, 12:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •