Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walthers Interview on Fox Business

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul the Tienemen Square Massacre took place before China was granted MFN trade status. The WTO granted it to them in 91 and Bill Clinton granted it to them in 94. I didn't agree with it then and I still don't like it now. But in response, too many times young Americans are the ones who have to back up policy, good or bad.

But look at policy. Carter embargoed grain then boycotted the Olympics because Russia invaded Afghanistan. That embargo only flamed the US farmers. Between the recession/interest rates and terrible commodity prices we had the farm crisis. Obama again embargoed grain to Russia. Did absolutely no good. Long time ago some people, around the world thought that bombing with conventional munitions would have the masses forcing governments into surrender. Well it didn't work when Germany launched the Blitz. Nor did the Germans rise up against Hitler. And the Japanese didn't quit until nuclear weapons were employed. Just more failed policy IMO.

That's because the leaders are safe. They will have shelter. They will have medical supplies. They will have food and water. They care not about their own people one little bit. And as long as the masses fail to do anything? They stay in power. And unfortunately if we decide that they need to go we have one option.

Rick

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldtanker For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,480 Times in 1,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here again the quality of this forum, which is a reflection of its members, shines forth.

Touchy subject we're on, but no one has thrown forth a single incendiary comment. Civility has reigned, decorum has flourished. Never mind that @MetroRedLn almost caused me to snort bogies onto my phone. ...

Besides, I hear there's a tariff on incendiary devices.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a friendly reminder to all, to not let this discussion become political.
    With the current subject matter, it wouldn’t take much.
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember when the price of crude oil went sky high and then plastic that out models are made from went up in cost which increased the cost of locos, cars and buildings??
    Then the price of crude went down but the cost of our trains did not.
    I do not thing the tariff will cause the increase that the crude oil increase did and I would like to see our models manufactured here in the US even if they cost more!
    Boilerman

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boiler-man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 451 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroRedLn View Post
    Since it's coming from Walthers, this must mean it has absolutely no effect on us N scalers, since we all know that Walthers is an HO-centric company
    You'll have to admit, that they do have some nice N scale structures. They are going to be making a big announcement of a large structure in N scale in Salt Lake that was eluded to in Chicago.
    Rodney

Here is my build of my n-scale railroad
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...-50-8-quot-%29

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,292 Times in 476 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodsup9000 View Post
    You'll have to admit, that they do have some nice N scale structures. They are going to be making a big announcement of a large structure in N scale in Salt Lake that was eluded to in Chicago.
    Ethanol series ! I can use the grain buildings/silos etc

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mu26aeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boiler-man View Post
    Remember when the price of crude oil went sky high and then plastic that out models are made from went up in cost which increased the cost of locos, cars and buildings??
    Then the price of crude went down but the cost of our trains did not.
    I do not thing the tariff will cause the increase that the crude oil increase did and I would like to see our models manufactured here in the US even if they cost more!
    Gotta remember that some plastics are made with soy bean oil. You don't see the price of plastic goods going down when crude and soy oil prices go down? I don't either.

Kinda funny but a plastic extruding company I know of here in the US fills contracts for Boeing, Lear, and high end power tools. Few years back a couple of companies tried outsourcing the molding process only to move it back to this small company in under 60 days. So with the manufactures of our train stuff? And what they charge? I'll bet money that the cost, delivered to the post in CA per average piece of N scale rolling stock is less than 3 bucks.

Rick

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldtanker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 451 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    One thing is for certain, come hell or high water, my next layout will have, to the best of my knowledge, nothing -- nothing -- made in China anywhere on it. If it's N scale, it's all Kato, MT and handlaid track.

I do support "Made in the USA" very much. I use ME flex and some turnouts, and all my Atlas code 80 (very old) in the helix and staging was made in NJ before Atlas took it over seas. 95 % of my rolling stock is Kadee/Micro Trains. Most of the times when I'm shopping, I'll pay a higher price for a item if a "Made in the USA" is available. I guess that is something being a Teamster has done to me. When we bought our last new car, the wife spent hours searching to find one that had the most parts made here. It ended up being the Chevy Malibu at that time.

Will the tariffs bring a lot of the manufacturing back to the states???? I hope it does, but will they find enough people that is willing to work. Around here in the midwest, there is help wanted adds everywhere. I don't know if it just the younger generation doesn't want to work, or is there a people shortage around here. I saw one the other day that had a starting wage of almost $15 a hour to flip buggers.
    Rodney

Here is my build of my n-scale railroad
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...-50-8-quot-%29

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,645 Times in 2,792 Posts
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Here again the quality of this forum, which is a reflection of its members, shines forth.

Touchy subject we're on, but no one has thrown forth a single incendiary comment. Civility has reigned, decorum has flourished.
    Hear! Hear!

Never mind that @MetroRedLn almost caused me to snort bogies onto my phone. ...
    YOU may not have had to, but I've got to clean my screen after that comment!
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never mind
    Last edited by Marksomebody; 12th Jul 2019 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Wrong subject

Thanks
    Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodsup9000 View Post
    Yes, I'll admit to their good N scale structures. But that's apparently it.
    I don't expect much from a company that didn't make knuckle couplers standard on their rolling stock until just 5 years ago.

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    Now THAT would be a cool Challenge for everyone! I don't think it can be done 100% but certainly close to it. Once you starting touching electronics, even if it's "Made in USA", there will be components made over there (resistors, capacitors, etc.)
    As far as I know, you can source any common electronic components outside china... I do not think they have an exclusive
    on anything electronic... (think about it.) onward, the problem with electronics has more to do with reliability than source country.
    if you source Japanese you will get what you ordered and the price will be elevated and by reputation china is about the same as any other country.
    I tend to buy items made in india if at all possible. except for magic magnets, it is easy to avoid chinese products.
    what is near impossible is to find USa made products.

this is a thread that is heavily leaning towards politics. in an effort to avoid that arena directly
    I will state I have been avoiding purchases with the 'made in china' label.

They were given a fair deal and they have decided to ignore all propriety in their trade practices.
    As such, we consumers have an obligation to avoid doing Biz with that country.

Anything else I want to add is going to be taken as arguing about politics.

victor

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing with Chinese products is that they will build/make things to your specs as long as you are careful.

Heck AI, a source for aftermarket agricultural parts, is owned by John Deere. They source a lot of things out of China. And they lend a lot to the attitude of "the land of almost right". Several I have first hand knowledge of are a replacement radiator for an CASEIH combine that had the hose nipples pointing the wrong way. A hub for a tractor that should have been SAE that was metric. And that's from JD. Another company that sold antique tractor parts cut rate? They mostly had great parts. About the only thing people really complained about was ignition parts (points and condensers) and voltage regulators. And finding quality parts for those items is a problem. I bought what's considered the top of the line points for a tractor 3 years ago that were defective out of the box. But the other made in China parts all seem to be pretty decent. That company was bought out and I don't know what the new owners have done. I do know that a lot of stuff is no longer available.

Lot of our trade deals were made back when we produced for the world. Right after WWII when we were the only unscathed industrial might. Then later others were made as kinda a back door foreign aid thing. We should have learned by now that we cannot buy loyalty nor friends.

So yea. The model RR companies like Whalter's and others can get things made to meet their requirements and still deliver quality products.

Rick

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing is for certain, come hell or high water, my next layout will have, to the best of my knowledge, nothing -- nothing -- made in China anywhere on it. If it's N scale, it's all Kato, MT and handlaid track. I think a layout based on a union passenger terminal sounds like fun. Kato makes great passenger equipment in N scale.
    Micro Engineering track is made in Missouri
    Modeling the Pacific Electric Playa Desnuda Branch in N Scale

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bremner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stacey Walthers Naffar did not impress me.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldtanker View Post
    We should have learned by now that we cannot buy loyalty nor friends.
    T-H-I-S!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldtanker View Post
    Really want to see something funny go watch the tractor collectors. They yell and cry about parts for those old tractors not being right "from the land of almost right" then cry about prices. They want top quality at cheap Chinese prices. Yea, I like old tractors too. Have a Ford 860, Farmall 1206, 1948 Cat D4 and a 1974 JCK backhoe. So I spend time on antique tractor sites too.

Rick
    I think the issue is that the newer tractors can't be fixed due to DRM, and you're forced to go to the manufacturer and pay their exorbitant fees, that are sometimes more than the cost of a new tractor.
    Starting over in N

Thanks
    Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bremner View Post
    Micro Engineering track is made in Missouri
    *When* it's made in Missouri...apparently they haven't been producing track for a couple years now unfortunately.

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

30. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,480 Times in 1,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroRedLn View Post
    *When* it's made in Missouri...apparently they haven't been producing track for a couple years now unfortunately.
    If ever "Show Me," Missouri's state motto, made sense. ...

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even the older ones still being used for farming the the 30/40/50 and 60 series JDs and 56/66/86/88 IH and early CaseIH tractors are being affected by cheap almost right parts. The tractor needed the hub? Late 90's 9850 CaseIH. The combine with the radiator? 1998 model CaseIH 2388. The radiator was needed almost 10 years ago and the hub about 2 years later. Hardly antique machines. Thing is parts through the dealers are extremely expensive. So a company was started that had parts made in China. They went with the cheapest bidder without thinking too much about quality. When they started to go under JD bought them out. JD has made some improvements but they haven't fixed em all. The tractor and combine both belong to a friend and I have operated both. I was helping him when we found out the radiator was wrong. He is grain only and tills about 2500 acres.

So these guys with newer stuff are crying hard about almost right parts forcing them to spend money on OEM parts.

The no fix issue is only on the newest because of DRM. Heck or a lot of farmers are still working with tractors built in the mid 60's. The 06/56/66 series IH/Farmalls and 20 series JD's are still out in force for smaller operators. Heck a new combine will run real close to 500,000 with almost that much more for the heads. Guy farming 1500-2500 acres can't afford that. The bigger 4 wheel drive tractors are pushing 500K too.

Rick