Thread: Zinc Pest in Life Like Locos?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,460 Times in 713 Posts
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Zinc Pest in Life Like Locos?

I just saw a MicroTrains (Life Like) Switcher loco on ebay and it looks like it has Zinc Pest.

Zoom in on the second picture in the listing below to see what I mean.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTL-Lifelike...S/132215852465

Do you guys agree that is what it looks like?

Has anyone seen this in Life Like splitframe locos? Mark (@Spookshow)?
    Last edited by Mac; 5th Jun 2017 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Remove attachment.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 813 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please define, "Zinc Pest".
    Dick,

Usually, when all is said and done, there's a lot more said than done!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 379 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I'm slightly scared... I've got a custom SW-8 that I don't to explode... hopefully that loco came from a defective batch and isn't patient zero of a massive problem
    Did someone say whitcomb?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,567 Times in 4,403 Posts
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Zinc pest was pretty much a thing from European manufacturers. When they actually made things there. Despite the poor and dangerous materials often used in Chinese made products, it has not been evident.

Now, it is possible for a diecast chassis to be damaged by excessive motor heat. I bought one Bachmann basket case Brill, where the split white gears had locked up the motor so long the motor heated up and expanded and changed the chassis. The expanded chassis cracked the plastic body. When finally pried from the body, the chassis crumbled.

That just looks like normal oxidation.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNW View Post
    Zinc pest was pretty much a thing from European manufacturers. When they actually made things there. Despite the poor and dangerous materials often used in Chinese made products, it has not been evident.

Now, it is possible for a diecast chassis to be damaged by excessive motor heat. I bought one Bachmann basket case Brill, where the split white gears had locked up the motor so long the motor heated up and expanded and changed the chassis. The expanded chassis cracked the plastic body. When finally pried from the body, the chassis crumbled.

That just looks like normal oxidation.
    On the far right I see cracks, that's the oddity

Thanks
    Thanked 7,567 Times in 4,403 Posts
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I see a scorched can motor. The case is made from steel, not a copper alloy. I should be a lot more silvery. Not so bronzy.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,571 Times in 912 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only problem I see with that locomotive is a broken plastic walkway.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,670 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pbender View Post
    The only problem I see with that locomotive is a broken plastic walkway.

Paul
    - Look at the bottom view pic of metal frame... disease of some sort...

I see a scorched can motor. The case is made from steel, not a copper alloy. I should be a lot more silvery. Not so bronzy.
    I have never seen steel do this. How confident are you that this is not a typical white metal cast frame?

I definitely see metal fatigue of some sort. I thought zinc rot/pest was a thing of and from the past. Items from before 1960's...? This is a relatively recent model.

I have a couple locomotives that have similar warping and cracking/crumbling to the point of not working.

I would suspect that this all must be a similar manufacturing flaw to the zinc issues. Impurities, heat, humidity, etc.

For $20 bucks, you "might" be able to salvage the shell, trucks and possibly the motor....?
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to know that overheating can do something similar. Although i have not known these Life Like switchers to have issues with overheating (I guess anything can be shorted / blocked / locked up).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post
    I definitely see metal fatigue of some sort. I thought zinc rot/pest was a thing of and from the past. Items from before 1960's...? This is a relatively recent model. I have a couple locomotives that have similar warping and cracking/crumbling to the point of not working. I would suspect that this all must be a similar manufacturing flaw to the zinc issues. Impurities, heat, humidity, etc. For $20 bucks, you "might" be able to salvage the shell, trucks and possibly the motor....?
    I agree - there definitely seems to be some metal fatigue / break-down. The front of the split-frame looks like the two halves are touching (although this can happen if they lost the little spacers and tightened the screw too much). I also see some serious deterioration around the front truck mounts -- looks like the frame has either cracked or a piece fell out.

I have 4 of these switchers from Life Like so will try to pull them out and take pictures of their bottoms (even if I don't remove the trucks). For $20 it would be worth it to see what was actually going on with the chassis (although I have too many of these type of units already to buy a junker I agree the shell is cool looking and if the 5-pole motor works that has some value).

Thanks
    Thanked 4,538 Times in 997 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try not to draw any firm conclusions from junk that shows up on eBay. For all we know the guy recast the frame using Silly Putty

Cheers,
    -Mark

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is defo zinc pest , loads of cracks in the casting.2nd pic along when zoomed in can see it clearly.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, looks like zinc pest in 2nd picture. It can still be found today. AZL had some locos out of one plant in China that had a crumbly frame issue, but being the stellar company they are, they made good and replaced the defective parts.

Trey

Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spookshow View Post
    I try not to draw any firm conclusions from junk that shows up on eBay. For all we know the guy recast the frame using Silly Putty Cheers, -Mark
    I was thinking of the risk of that they recast the frame with resin or something -- although they say it is NIB and I always trust Ebay sellers (sarcasm)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 509 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intermountain was notorious for locomotives having zinc pest...
    They were manufactured in China, so it isn't uncommon for things to have zinc pest/rot from products that were made there. I have seen it in objects that are not model trains as well.
    :SFSD75M::SPWELL::TTX::SPWELL:

DEADPOOL 4 EL PRESIDENTÉ 2016!!

Follow me on Tumblr!
    http://nscaler711.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 545 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nscaler711 View Post
    They were manufactured in China
    When I read the wiki on zinc pest and the history of it in US and European made products I was wondering how that might have applied to China made products. I know from experience that "steel" tools made in China tend to have lower shear strength than I would expect from steel (ever snap a screwdriver or wrench when using it for it's intended purpose? I bet "Made in China" is stamped somewhere on it) and always suspected zinc was being used in Chinese steel to lower the cost. I wonder if they would use lead in zinc products to lower their cost too. This is all based on speculation and there is no factual basis for my statements.
    Bronman - "Trains and Legos... you can't have too many of them."

My Layout Build Thread - The Spokane & Eastern Washington
    - Featuring motive power by Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Montana Rail Link and Amtrak in Spokane and Eastern Washington in the mid-1990's.

"That's just dumb, D-U-M, dumb." - Me.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Life Like no longer makes engines but I wonder how many from that early 2000's era are suffering zinc rot or just not working at all? They were the first of the big three to go with China and were being heralded as good quality and low cost due to this manufacturing choice. Their engines always stuck me as being very clunky and metallic looking once you got the shell off, definitely more primitive looking so than anything Atlas or Kato was releasing at the time. Also I wonder how much lead content is in those Life Likes, has anyone got a lead tester at home they can take to one?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If nobody else wants to I might go for that loco on ebay... see if we can figure out whats going on, if it's a typical example of metal by LL then I'm going to be switching a few chassis

Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd confirm from what I can see - also note what looks like swelling visible from the underneath view in the fuel tank area as well as hairline cracks.

I've seen more than a few Rivarossi frames with the problem and still have two that I've held together with ACC.

But even with those, it's a 'hit and miss' thing that appears related to the specific batch chemistry. I've never seen it on a LL frame before, or on anything except old Atlas Rivarossi.

Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Seller says he opened the box and it was already in pieces, well, even with zinc pest, breaking the plastic takes a lot more force than that. I'm thinking that it was taken out of the box, dropped hard, and snuck back into the box in pieces.

I contacted him and requested a shot with the body shell off as it looks like a cracked frame. See what happens.
    Randgust N scale kits web page at www.randgust.com