Thread: Steel made in America

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Steel made in America

This is going to be a thread to document some of my journey modeling the manufacturing of steel.
    With a background in the rail industry and directly serving a major producer of steel for over 13 years now I hope I can bring both the professional prospective and the modelers prospective to this thread and that the information here can help others wishing to model this industry. In addition to working around this industry I have spent a great deal of time researching and studying the history of steel production in America.

My aim for this thread is to be a place I can share my progress through the process of building multiple phases of the steel production process. I also plan to model several railroads that played a critical part in this process here in Pittsburgh. I will be modeling Conrail, the Union Railroad, and the Bessemer & Lake Erie. Down the line as time and space allow more the potential for the addition of the B&O (Chessie), and P&LE may make the layout.
    Be positive, Be polite, have fun with the hobby!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over the coming week I hope to bring the thread up to speed on the process I am going through with heavily kitbashing a Walther blast furnace kit.

The blast furnace complex will consist of three furnaces, each will be kitbashed and built to represent not a specific furnace but to have the flavor of furnaces commonly found around Pittsburgh area before the collapse of steel circa 1987.

Stay tuned..

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 698 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am looking forward to this thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some pictures Please!

___________Just do it in Vinyl!__________

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Locomotive Roster Update #1

One of the interesting ties to the steel industry is its direct link to railroads. In addition to the Class 1, regional, and short lines that serve mills many have there own inter-plant railways.

Since I am basing my N scale steel mill off of US Steels Pittsburgh area I decided to model the motive power off of USS inter-plant locomotives. Going with a late 1970s based layout I was able to track down through a nice collection of images that showed what the switchers looked like at various plants around Pittsburgh. Typically USS was using variations of a light blue scheme on its inter-plant locos around the "Mon Valley"* Now before anybody points out a variation I will say inter plant exchanges of locomotives were extremely common especially at US Steel so the light blue was common not a rule. One of the biggest exceptions was at the US Steel Edgar Thomson Works. From the mid 1970s till the mid 1980s the ET Plant as its locally called had a very eye catching paint scheme for several of its inter-plant switchers. Bright orange car bodys with a blue frame, fuel tank, and trucks. I am choosing to go with this scheme. I think I will really stand out in the maze of giant rusty buildings that will make up the mill scene.

So here are two KATO NW2s that started life as Union Pacific locos. Only partially through the process I wanted to share these two units before they get a nice coat of heavy grime.

Here is a link to a NW2 that was recently overhauled and painted, likely being transferred from another USS property. You might notice the lettering is slightly different, and it is! I have come across about a dozen photos of the ET locomotives in orange/blue and they are all uniquely painted

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=1891242

* Mon Valley is a region around the city of Pittsburgh that follows the Monongahela river south east from the city. The heart of Pittsburgh steel industry was on the banks of the "Mon" and today US Steel refers to the various plants the "Mon Valley Works"
    Last edited by Bessemer Bob; 2nd Aug 2019 at 01:07 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So why the "Mon Valley Works"

As stated above the current day complex of individual plants in the Pittsburgh area is known as the US Steel Mon Valley Works. Before the collapse of steel there were several integrated mills in the valley that all had separate names, since I am not going to model a specific plant and specific furnaces I went with the general "Mon Valley Works" for the inter-plant locomotives.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blast Furnace construction Update #1

#1 furnace construction
    Ill try to keep the history lesson a little shorter on this one. More posts with less story.

Heavily kitbashed from a Walthers kit. The cast house floor is scratch as well as the walls. The three furnaces will be based a lot off of Carrie #6, and #7 at US Steel Homestead Works. (DJ just posted a good drone video of these) Key word is "based" I am not trying to model this site. In fact I will be using some scenes from J&Ls Eliza furnaces too!

A lot of the furnaces that are now long gone from this area were smaller then todays survivors. National Tube, and Carrie 6,7 were smaller and since even in N scale a mill eats up a ton of space I am modeling smaller furnaces that will be squeezed together.

A lot more to come!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Locomotive Roster Update #2

Finished up #110. This unit now has TCS DCC and a good coat of weathering. Its been years since I did any customer work in N scale and many lessons were learned on this one.

Handrails are a PITA!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its been a while. Got frustrated assembling one of these NWs. I break them down about as far as I can for painting and weathering. A couple things gave me fits so I just stepped away (thought about HO) and when I got bored went back to the attic to finish the second NW2. For now those are the only two NW2s that I am going to do. These two will get the JMRI treatment and be speed matched and scale speed maxed out to 15mph. Due to N scale being N scale they will be paired together just in case the want to occasionally stall on a frog etc. Technically these units never had MU capability and in the mill switchers always work alone(in the mills I work at and what I am trying to model, yes other mills had units MU'd). I push for prototypical operations etc, but I try to remember at the end of the day these are toy trains. I dont want to beat myself up trying to mimic the real world 100%, instead have fun with the hobby!

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,431 Times in 2,738 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bessemer Bob View Post
    I push for prototypical operations etc, but I try to remember at the end of the day these are toy trains. I dont want to beat myself up trying to mimic the real world 100%, instead have fun with the hobby!
    ^^^ THIS ^^^
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 409 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s fun to watch you iron this out. I like how you temper your expectations of the engines. Look out for oxide on the wheels. I hope you find a way to forge forward and have a blast.

I suspect your quenching a thirst for steel plants on this forum!
    --
    Leo Bicknell