Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a "slightly" damaged vehicle?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,904 Times in 726 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need a "slightly" damaged vehicle?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrifterNL For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow.
    I guess any derailment has a loss of cargo but this must hurt someone's pocket... Insurance probably...
    Thankfully, no injuries or loss of life.

Some great scenery for modeling along that stretch.
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,274 Times in 1,725 Posts
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember, Union Pacific is employing Precision Scheduled Railroading.

Hmm, I guess this UP train didn't make its scheduled destination precisely on time. ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

SOO

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    Remember, Union Pacific is employing Precision Scheduled Railroading.

Hmm, I guess this UP train didn't make its scheduled destination precisely on time. ...
    Cheers,

Russ

CEO of Devil's Gate Mining Co.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mosslake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,535 Times in 997 Posts
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The worst part of that photo are all the fugly Jeep Gladiators. What was Jeep thinking??

-Mark

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,352 Times in 2,723 Posts
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hadn't seen those yet?
    Looks like they were trying to imitate the Humvees or the Hummers?
    The Little Rock Line blog

ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Thanks
    Thanked 4,535 Times in 997 Posts
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's take the Wranger Unlimited (a 4-door abomination) and make it even uglier by turning it into a pickup, whee!

-Mark

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,483 Times in 568 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately Jeeps are now a "status symbol" in my opinion. I would bet that the most of new Jeeps never leave pavement.

In my neck of the woods, there is a trend of "yuppies" driving jacked up pick up trucks and jeeps as luxury vehicles and not service vehicles as originally intended. This trend has caused the price of those vehicle types to sky rocket.

To each their own.
    Bo D.
    B&O Keyridge Subdivision
    I'm not allowed to run the train, the whistle I can't blow. I'm not allowed to say how fast the Railroad Train can go.
    I'm not allowed to shoot off steam, nor even clang the bell. But let the damned Train jump the track, and see who catches hell!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RailKing50 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spookshow View Post
    The worst part of that photo are all the fugly Jeep Gladiators. What was Jeep thinking??

-Mark
    Jeep? Jeep wasn't thinking anything. Fiat was.

Quote Originally Posted by RailKing50 View Post
    Unfortunately Jeeps are now a "status symbol" in my opinion. I would bet that the most of new Jeeps never leave pavement.

In my neck of the woods, there is a trend of "yuppies" driving jacked up pick up trucks and jeeps as luxury vehicles and not service vehicles as originally intended. This trend has caused the price of those vehicle types to sky rocket.

To each their own.
    Actually if you bother to look it up almost all 4X4 SUVs and 1/2 ton pickups never leave the pavement with the original owner. I don't remember the exact number but it was in the 70% range last time I looked. I live in a rural area of MN. Lot of lakes in the area too so lots of "summer people". Lake shore home owners who open up the lake place (not cabins anymore either, nice houses) in May and close them up right after labor day. Show up in 70K Suburbans and 80K 3/4 ton diesel pickups then complain cause they have to drive on gravel roads.

Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 4,084 Times in 1,323 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldtanker View Post
    Jeep? Jeep wasn't thinking anything. Fiat was.

Actually if you bother to look it up almost all 4X4 SUVs and 1/2 ton pickups never leave the pavement with the original owner. I don't remember the exact number but it was in the 70% range last time I looked.
    Rick
    People donít know what they are missing. I have a 2018 Jeep JK, 17,700 miles and 700 of those are off-road. I wish I could post a video from my phone to here to show the group what Iím talking about. I like the Gladiators, they make perfect sense. The biggest competition to the Wrangler is the Toyota Tacoma and the 4 Runner. They can keep the Gladiator and get ride of all the other Jeep-wannabes (Liberty/Patriot...). Iíll probably get a gladiatorial once the diesels come out. It would be a great overlanding vehicle.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in a rural area of MN. Lot of lakes in the area too so lots of "summer people". Lake shore home owners who open up the lake place (not cabins anymore either, nice houses) in May and close them up right after labor day. Show up in 70K Suburbans and 80K 3/4 ton diesel pickups then complain cause they have to drive on gravel roads.
    You're describing Washington as well. Both the vacation/resort homes on the water (lakeside or saltwater side) or in the mountains, and the SUVs/trucks with $800-1000 a month payments. The only muddy-anything ever splattering the latter comes from rain puddles on I-5, I-405 or I-90.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpwisc View Post
    and 700 of those are off-road.
    But at least you've really taken it off road, Karl. "Off road" in Pugetopolis means having to navigate your Land Rover to a drive-thru coffee stand not easily accessible from a major freeway or highway.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People don’t know what they are missing. I have a 2018 Jeep JK, 17,700 miles and 700 of those are off-road. I wish I could post a video from my phone to here to show the group what I’m talking about. I like the Gladiators, they make perfect sense. The biggest competition to the Wrangler is the Toyota Tacoma and the 4 Runner. They can keep the Gladiator and get ride of all the other Jeep-wannabes (Liberty/Patriot...). I’ll probably get a gladiatorial once the diesels come out. It would be a great overlanding vehicle.

Well that's kinda each to his/her own. I've got more time off roading than most people, but then that's what you do with a tank! And that tank would go places that jeep would never think of going.

As far as diesels go? I wouldn't buy a tier 4 diesel with your money. Any fuel you save you will spend in repairs. Injectors are not cheap. My BIL just spent close to 5K replacing both the injector pump and injectors on his Cummins diesel that came in that Fiat Ram shipping container. He ain't happy. 5K will buy a lot of gas.

Rick

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well that's kinda each to his/her own. I've got more time off roading than most people, but then that's what you do with a tank! And that tank would go places that jeep would never think of going.

As far as diesels go? I wouldn't buy a tier 4 diesel with your money. Any fuel you save you will spend in repairs. Injectors are not cheap. My BIL just spent close to 5K replacing both the injector pump and injectors on his Cummins diesel that came in that Fiat Ram shipping container. He ain't happy. 5K will buy a lot of gas.

Rick
    It’s a good thing I don’t let you spend my money! Yeah, I have friends who have had those issues on diesels for 20 years. I also have friends who have had no problems with their diesels. The smaller diesels seem to have far fewer issues. For an extra 10 mpg, I’ll give it a go. If I can wait the extra 2 years, I’d love to hold out for the all electric version. I have several friends running Tesla’s and I am jealous of the performance (it’s just the ground clearance that sucks).
    Karl

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s a good thing I don’t let you spend my money! Yeah, I have friends who have had those issues on diesels for 20 years. I also have friends who have had no problems with their diesels. The smaller diesels seem to have far fewer issues. For an extra 10 mpg, I’ll give it a go. If I can wait the extra 2 years, I’d love to hold out for the all electric version. I have several friends running Tesla’s and I am jealous of the performance (it’s just the ground clearance that sucks).
    That's cause the smaller diesels are not getting the mileage put on em that most of the guys with the diesels are putting on. Add in the extra cost of the diesel option. Then add in that diesel is more expensive that gas. Then add in that in an average 5 years of ownership you will not recoup that extra expense. Yea, you will get higher trade inmost cases with the diesel, it would still cost several thousand dollars. Back when gas prices were at 4 bucks a gallon they figured the average cost of buying a vehicle that is available in both a hybrid and just gas. They figured that you would have to drive both 12,000 miles a year, at 5 dollars a gallon to pay the difference of the cost of the hybrid option. Diesel is kinda the same way. Really have to pile on the miles to pay for it. And I like diesel! I right now am shopping for a pickup. Not looking at new but it's an option. I will not look at a diesel because I just won't use it enough to justify it.

Now with electric? Start with the purchase price. Add in the cost of recharging. With the cost of replacing the batteries? And what that does to trade value? Again not a good option. You will most likely wind up spending more that someone buying a similar size/class vehicle once that trade value is calculated. In other words, "don't believe the hype". And just cause someone has one and they claim it's great? Don't believe them. Reason? Human nature. Most people are not going to spend 35K or so on a car then admit to the world that they were stupid and got took. They are going to claim they got a great deal and most likely lie about the economy of that vehicle. And for what it's worth? I have a son in law who is an electrical engineer. He works for Rockwell. He's working on battery powered stuff. He tells me there is no new or expected break though in battery technology at this time. So what he and every one else is doing is working to reduce power consumption to extend battery life. Kinda like the lie about solar and wind power. The amount of land needed to power a city is astounding. A city the size of Fargo ND (smaller than 150,000) requires 40 square miles of wind farm to power it 24/7. Now that's times 3. 3 different wind farms just for Fargo at 40 square miles each in different locations to ensure the wind is blowing hard enough to meet demands at any given time plus the infrastructure to get that electricity from the wind farm to Fargo as needed. NYC would require 3 wind farms at 2300 square miles each. So right now electric is not sustainable. Maybe in the future. Heck they even lie about how much electricity is generated by wind and solar. The figures? Of power produced? Is at maximum output possible. Not what happens on a calm day.

Rick

Rick

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Funny you should mention that Rick, I do a lot of work with the power generation sector (power plants owners and power generation contractors). I have 2 gas turbines, a steam turbine, and two sets of solar panels in my office. All I’m going to say is that you got me laughing!

Keeping on track with the automotive discussion, I’ve run the numbers. For me it would be quite cost effective to go electric. If it’s not for you, super duper. I would have already, but I don’t drive cars. I’m a Jeep guy through and through. The first electric Jeeps will be out within the next 5-6 years. I am looking forward to it.
    Karl

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny you should mention that Rick, I do a lot of work with the power generation sector (power plants owners and power generation contractors). I have 2 gas turbines, a steam turbine, and two sets of solar panels in my office. All I’m going to say is that you got me laughing!

Keeping on track with the automotive discussion, I’ve run the numbers. For me it would be quite cost effective to go electric. If it’s not for you, super duper. I would have already, but I don’t drive cars. I’m a Jeep guy through and through. The first electric Jeeps will be out within the next 5-6 years. I am looking forward to it.

Laughing about what? Fact or fiction? Like that fact that the solar and wind supporters claim that X amount is produced. If someone bothers to look it up the figures they provide are the figures at 100% peak output of all solar panels and wind generators. Not what is actually being produced at a given time. Right now if we want enough clean power to meet the electrical needs of the country nuclear is the only option. Or are you laughing that given the normal difference in mileage between gas and diesel in the same platform that diesel has to be less than 30 cents a gallon difference with gas to swing the advantage to diesel for cost of fuel.

Electric vehicles are the same thing. A lot of smoke and mirrors. What you save at the pump you will more than make up for when it's time to trade. Plus many states are now imposing a special tax on electric vehicles because they are not paying their fair share for maintaining the roads. OH, don't forget the extra cost on the old electric bill to charge that sucker.

Average price of an electric vehicle is 20-25% more than the same/similar vehicle in gas. They lose about 56-57% of their value in the first 3 years as opposed to 38-39% for a gas or diesel vehicle. So it pencils out? Going to pay 20-25% more, then lose 20% more at trade? ANd you still have to pay the electric bill. That's pretty hard to pencil out I think! If you can maybe you should work for Bernie Madoff and get him out of jail! He could use a pencil like that !

Here is the real funny part. The steal used to make these vehicles, gas, diesel, hybrid and electric comes from iron ore strip mined originally. Then other metals like aluminum and copper also strip mined. Plus plastics made from oil pumped out of the ground. Now you want to strip mine even more material to build battery packs to power electric vehicles. So we really ain't protecting the environment here.

As far as me? I live in the frozen wasteland of MN. You didn't see the complaints made by electric vehicle owners this past winter? About the greatly reduced range and performance in the cold snaps that affected a great area of the US? And they were told to solve this problem "don't run the heater" ! They also told these people "well you should have known that cold saps batteries" !

Google is your friend.

Rick

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus many states are now imposing a special tax on electric vehicles because they are not paying their fair share for maintaining the roads. OH, don't forget the extra cost on the old electric bill to charge that sucker.
    Nevertheless clean, quiet electric vehicles, including aircraft and locomotives, are the future, while noisy, carbon dioxide-tainted fossil-fuel vehicles are in their swan song. There are necessary trade-offs re: taxes and electricity costs. And the issue of reduced mileage due to colder weather affecting electric vehicles is one that can be solved through improved technology.

Another benefit is reduced noise pollution. I for one relish the thought of no longer having to endure the childish noise of most motorcycles and souped-up trucks and cars, whose owners seemingly never grew out of playing with Tonka toys.

It's not a matter of "if," but rather a matter of "when" electric vehicles are mandatory. And "when" is getting closer by the day.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    Nevertheless clean, quiet electric vehicles, including aircraft and locomotives, are the future, while noisy, carbon dioxide-tainted fossil-fuel vehicles are in their swan song. There are necessary trade-offs re: taxes and electricity costs. And the issue of reduced mileage due to colder weather affecting electric vehicles is one that can be solved through improved technology.

Another benefit is reduced noise pollution. I for one relish the thought of no longer having to endure the childish noise of most motorcycles and souped-up trucks and cars, whose owners seemingly never grew out of playing with Tonka toys.

It's not a matter of "if," but rather a matter of "when" electric vehicles are mandatory. And "when" is getting closer by the day.
    Paul I'll part ways with you on electric. Too many issues that most people won't admit exist or simply ignore. While I do firmly believe that the IC engine has a limited shelf life I doubt that electric will be the answer either. At least not until they can A: find batteries that are not effected by cold B: make batteries that outlast Lithium batteries C: figure out a way to recycle every little bit of a battery without any toxic waste (yes that's a problem no one wants to talk about).

As far as when they make them mandatory? CA tried that back in the late 90's and the courts shot that down.

I agree with you on the loud pipes.

Look, a few years ago the EPA blatantly lied to congress in hearings justifying the Tier IV diesel requirements. One of the top people in the EPA testified that "thousands of children died in the late 50's and early 60's in the US due to diesel particulate matter in the air". In that time period there were no diesel pickups. Almost 100% of all school buses, light and medium duty trucks were gas too. Heck even some day cab semis were gas right up through the mid 70's. Most farm tractors were gas too with diesel only gaining real ground starting in 63-64 and not becoming mainstream until the 70's. Even light construction equipment like rollers, small dozers from Case, Oliver, JD and IH were available in gas. IN 1965 IH introduced what at the time was the largest 2 wheel drive tractor available. It was the first tractor made by IH that was diesel only. And many farmers of that day and for the next ten years would claim "anyone buying a tractor bigger than 100 PTO HP is just showing off". The next smaller one wasn't 112 PTO HP. It was 95 and was available in gas, LP and diesel. So where did all this particulate matter from diesels come from? And before we go there lets see the autopsy reports please. You know, the ones that don't exist because they were never done. So the whole thing was a lie. From the EPA. Heck the Tier III diesel burned cleaner than a gas engine.

Thing is we move on the highway. Any notion that the US can build a mass transit system that services the entire nation is just that. A notion. Not going to happen without massive government subsidies. And that isn't going to wash with the tax payers. And that means we have to have vehicles. Cars and trucks. Any attempt to make em all go electric at once? Is doomed to failure. Heck the electric grid is taxed now. Gotta fix that. Gotta fix the cold problems associated with batteries. Who's going to pay for all this stuff? Better yet how are you going to force it without triggering massive inflation and recession/depression? Or are you going to start telling people where they have to live? OK everyone north of the Mason Dixon line move now?

Rick

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Laughing about what? Fact or fiction? ...
    As far as me? I live in the frozen wasteland of MN. You didn't see the complaints made by electric vehicle owners this past winter? About the greatly reduced range and performance in the cold snaps that affected a great area of the US? And they were told to solve this problem "don't run the heater" ! They also told these people "well you should have known that cold saps batteries" !

Google is your friend.

Rick
    Rick, you might not know this but I am very familiar with MN, having lived there until 5 years ago. I appreciate you doubling down on your inaccuracies. The reason I'm laughing is because my brother in law (another native Minnesotan) hit me with the same info you brought up. I happened to have GE's power generation division holding a conference at my office, so I figured I'd ask them about it. Most of that data was put together by a pair of pro-coal and pro-nuclear "think tanks". You can flush most of that "data" right down the crapper. It was put together to be misleading. I love your "Google is your friend": how much mis-information is available on google? I'm guessing you didn't know there is a lot of bad info on there. Don't feel bad, it's okay to admit when you are wrong. By the way steel is spelled with 2 E's (steal is something different).

Renewables have already surpassed coal in total power output last year with no signs of slowing down. Work has already started on a wind plant out east that will allow the grid users there to take all of the Nucs on the east coast off the grid. We will never be a single source power grid, there has never been a plan to make us one. If you think there was, you need to change media outlets. Tto think we aren't going to utilize more wind and solar is honestly pretty funny. If you think coal is coming back, it's not. It is 3 times the cost of natural gas per kW.

Now if you want to talk ore mining, we can have that conversation too. I just met with the management team from United Taconite last year too. I actually have been to the Thunderbird Mine and the Fairlane Processing plant (both in MN, but I'm sure you knew that too).

Your electric vehicle costs are also out of date, but I'm sure google gave you only the most accurate info and not the media outlets that happen to agree with your views (that's how their algorithms work, but I'm sure you knew that too). But thank you for the laughs this evening, I needed that.
    Karl

29. The Following User Says Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post: