Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a "slightly" damaged vehicle?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,432 Times in 2,738 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpwisc View Post
    Rick, you might not know this but I am very familiar with MN, having lived there until 5 years ago. I appreciate you doubling down on your inaccuracies. The reason I'm laughing is because my brother in law (another native Minnesotan) hit me with the same info you brought up. I happened to have GE's power generation division holding a conference at my office, so I figured I'd ask them about it. Most of that data was put together by a pair of pro-coal and pro-nuclear "think tanks". You can flush most of that "data" right down the crapper. It was put together to be misleading. I love your "Google is your friend": how much mis-information is available on google? I'm guessing you didn't know there is a lot of bad info on there. Don't feel bad, it's okay to admit when you are wrong. By the way steel is spelled with 2 E's (steal is something different).

Renewables have already surpassed coal in total power output last year with no signs of slowing down. Work has already started on a wind plant out east that will allow the grid users there to take all of the Nucs on the east coast off the grid. We will never be a single source power grid, there has never been a plan to make us one. If you think there was, you need to change media outlets. Tto think we aren't going to utilize more wind and solar is honestly pretty funny. If you think coal is coming back, it's not. It is 3 times the cost of natural gas per kW.

Now if you want to talk ore mining, we can have that conversation too. I just met with the management team from United Taconite last year too. I actually have been to the Thunderbird Mine and the Fairlane Processing plant (both in MN, but I'm sure you knew that too).

Your electric vehicle costs are also out of date, but I'm sure google gave you only the most accurate info and not the media outlets that happen to agree with your views (that's how their algorithms work, but I'm sure you knew that too). But thank you for the laughs this evening, I needed that.
    Nope. Don't believe it. Not when the US department of energy says different. Renewables? Gee that includes fuel. Making ethanol creates more pollution than is saves. Tilling soil raises dust and causes erosion. Plus guys are using chemicals to make gain the yields needed to make this work. So the EPA want's to shut that down too. Can't till mud. Can't go all no till either. And NO. Only about 50% of the farm land will respond well to no till, the rest doesn't respond well at all. Going make no till mandatory? You kill ethanol and bio because they will have to use everything to feed the population. You think the farmers in areas where no till doesn't work didn't try it? The problem is soil compaction.

And I know that google has lots of bad info. And most regarding energy and are from 2 sides. One pushing all this garbage about renewable. Look at it. What make diesel better than gas? What makes gas more efficient than ethanol? BTU's. Diesel produces about 129,500 BTUs. Gas without ethanol about 114,000. Gas at 10% ethanol 111,836. E85 81,800 and straight ethanol 76,100. Bio diesel at B20 127.250 and straight bio? 118,300. So the more ethanol and BIO they push on us the worse efficiency we achieve from our IC engines and boilers. Can't argue with scientific data. https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3 From the government. Proving that the guys from GE lied to you. Renewable's produced a whopping 17.1% of renewable with wind and solar accounting for 6.6% wind and 1.6% solar. That means that wind and solar didn't even account for 1/2 of that 17.1%. You see, I don't take my figures from power companies trying to get government subsidies. Nor do I take in info generated by those dead set against some things. I hate "he said she said". I like facts. And the fact is most of our power comes from non wind or solar sources. 82.9% non renewable to be precise according to the US government. Like with the BTU thing. A diesel is more efficient per gallon burned. Can't argue with that. It's proven scientific data. So how to make diesel less desirable (EPA thing)? Make it cost so much that there is no advantage to diesel. And they did.

Look, I'm not really going off 1/2 cocked here. Most people like to think that the Carter/Reagan recession was sparked by the fuel embargo. Well the fuel embargo didn't help anything but that was not what triggered the recession. What most people miss is that after WWII was over only one industrial nation in the world had it's factories intact. The US. In the mid 70's most of the war torn countries started to bring nonessential manufacturing back on line finishing up rebuilding the factories and infrastructure. All of a sudden the US had competition that didn't have minimum wage, workman's comp and unemployment to pay. Factory orders dried up, then the fuel embargo just added (pun intended) fuel to the flames.

Most people don't understand how fanatical many of the folks in the EPA are. I happen to have a neighbor who retired from the US EPA a couple of years ago. He was mid level management. Come talk to him so he can tell you "we may have to eliminate human life to protect the earth". I want you to hear it from him. He didn't like it when i suggested that he be first in line to be eliminated. He says that he should be last cause people like him have to be around to make it happen?????

So I have provided information and links from nonjudicial sources to back up my side. Where is your proof? Some alleged guy from GE?

Rick

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,246 Times in 3,637 Posts
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, this is a model railroading forum, so in an attempt to nudge things back towards relevance (and away from the cliff edge of politics), I will observe that we may very well be the beneficiaries of developments in renewable energy sources, since these always seem to come down to translating power generation into stored electricity. Hence, the potential refinement of batteries. Electric vehicles have a hurdle in the form of taking time to recharge; a gas or diesel engine can be ready to go again after just a couple of minutes spent refilling a tank. We have a variety of quick-charge methods available to us now, I think... and I'm not pulling info from any particular sources, Google-served or otherwise. I'm just speaking from my own perspective.

Anyways, as I see it there is an impetus to improve the usefulness of batteries in general, and that may work its way down into the innards of our locomotives and throttles. Maybe we'll get onboard battery systems that make dirty track a forgotten problem one day. Wouldn't that be nice?

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,310 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    Maybe we'll get onboard battery systems that make dirty track a forgotten problem one day. Wouldn't that be nice?
    Where do I sign?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

SOO

Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 698 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyways, as I see it there is an impetus to improve the usefulness of batteries in general, and that may work its way down into the innards of our locomotives and throttles. Maybe we'll get onboard battery systems that make dirty track a forgotten problem one day. Wouldn't that be nice?
    Dead Rail (love the name) is a thing in Ho and O - in N who knows?
    https://www.deadrailsociety.com

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scotian_Huntress For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,402 Times in 1,339 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe we'll get onboard battery systems that make dirty track a forgotten problem one day.
    What?!? After all that time I spent cleaning and No-Ox'ing my track?? Begone with your government inspired propagandical(?) nonsense!!

p.s. I'd like a couple "thanks" for "propagandical", please.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pwh70 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,739 Times in 442 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dead rail been around for 40 to 50 years. I remember reading about some guys using batteries power in HO back in the '70's. Maybe you could stuff a battery in a trailing box or gondola for N scale right now. Batteries are small enough to do that and with DCC control rc receivers as in Airwire. The DCC receivers are the size of a small HO decoders.
    I've been running dead rail on the outdoor rr for about 20 years now. Started with using Craftsman 19.2 tool batteries in a gondola. Went to on-board homemade ni-cad's, then to lithium ion's (all steam). Went from RC control to CVP's Airwire in about 2004.
    Rodney

Here is my build of my n-scale railroad
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...-50-8-quot-%29

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always thought the future for cars would be fuel cells if we could solve the issue of cheap hydrogen extraction, last I heard it was very expensive may have changed now. Which to bring it back was the prototype tech used to power a OO gauge train on the second version of James May’s toy stories where they build a track between Barnstaple and Bideford (where I grew up)

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jpgale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/r...763ffd7e1e.jpg

Gotta admire someone who will use a fossil fuel generator to charge and electric car........ That big of a genset? Bet it's one of the dirty nasty diesels too.

For what it's worth that charge station is supposed to be "down under" designed for areas that have no power grid. My question is, if you live or often travel where there is no power grid why on earth would you buy an electric?

Rick

Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldtanker View Post
    https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/r...763ffd7e1e.jpg

Gotta admire someone who will use a fossil fuel generator to charge and electric car........ That big of a genset? Bet it's one of the dirty nasty diesels too.

For what it's worth that charge station is supposed to be "down under" designed for areas that have no power grid. My question is, if you live or often travel where there is no power grid why on earth would you buy an electric?

Rick
    Again with the ecological stuff?
    The last time I looked, this was a model railroad forum?

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    Again with the ecological stuff?
    Don't you have trains to sell off?
    No I just thought that was really funny and typical of those who are pushing this green agenda. Sorry you don't like someone who disagrees with you. Get over it. I think the IC engine has a limited shelf life. What every replaces it will have to be environmentally sustainable. I don't believe batter powered cars are the answer. Sorry you don't like that. Actually, I really don't care if you like it or not. I just thought that was really funny and wanted to share. Guess what? I still think it hilarious! Even more so because it annoyed you.

Look, we all have a right to an opinion. We can have civil discourse and share actual data. Or we can get mad and pout if someone dares to disagree. If we chose the 2nd way? We may as well run for office.

And maybe, maybe not. I haven't reached a decision. I may just toss it all in the garbage. The blast furnace, coke ovens and all. Then again I may decide to keep on with it.

Rick

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@oldtanker, your abrasiveness ain't cutting it. Time to get off the soapbox. I think by now we all know where you stand. Move on.

Hopefully the mods will lock this one up now. It's more suitable to the MRH forum.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm the one being abrasive?

Allen's original post was "Again with the ecological stuff?
    Don't you have trains to sell off?"

Rick

Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sorry you don't like someone who disagrees with you. Sorry you don't like that. Even more so because it annoyed you.
    I don't agree or disagree with you, just tired of hearing your lips flap about something that doesn't particularly belong on a MRR forum, that's what's annoying.

Look, we all have a right to an opinion. We can have civil discourse and share actual data. Or we can get mad and pout if someone dares to disagree. If we chose the 2nd way? We may as well run for office.
    And I bet you'd be the first in line to run. Sounds like you're already in office?

Then again I may decide to keep on with it.
    I doubt that?

Time to employ the ignore member option.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't agree or disagree with you, just tired of hearing your lips flap about something that doesn't particularly belong on a MRR forum, that's what's annoying.

And I bet you'd be the first in line to run. Sounds like you're already in office?

I doubt that?

Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 4,538 Times in 997 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, you're late to the party. I was there two weeks ago

-Mark

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spookshow View Post
    Wow, you're late to the party. I was there two weeks ago

-Mark
    But we're fashionably late!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,409 Times in 610 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys, I keep responding and deleting my response cause it's got nothing to do with MRR. Ignore list here we go...

Heiko

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post: