Thread: New Layout......again

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 333 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Layout......again

After a year of owning our new place I have finally figured out what I really want for a layout in the train room. This actually goes back a few years but now I have way more space and figured out how to curve it around to fit. The industries are almost to scale but the trackage between has been shortened or curved for fitment. The area is fairly flat track wise but not around it. There are a few wooden trestles in the plan that will be added except one that I couldn't fit due to that section of track being curved and shortened.

I have to go adjust the real world photos I took due to the forum not liking hi res 4k photos for upload but will get those up soon. I would like suggestions on what the best bench work would be for a layout of this shape. I'm thinking shelf for everything against a wall but the stand alone sections especially the curve in the bottom right is kind of confusing me.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SteveG6942 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 448 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@SteveG6942,

Run with it. Would make a helluva point to point run and operations are abound.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StrasburgNut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dropped pin
    Near McCulloch County, TX 76825
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/bNGgY25LTw1Fjznb6

Here is the real location of what I'm doing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveG6942 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are some pics of 2 of the trestles east of the small yard

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SteveG6942 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good, Steve. Regarding the curve on the lower right, I would make the vertical (in the photo) section one bench. The inside of that corner comes to a point - you might consider making a 12" horizontal piece on the inside of that, thus moving the bottom of the diagonal over 12". This would relieve the severity of that curve for trains going by there by increasing the radius of the track.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better idea??

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SteveG6942 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 897 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The open, unused space in your aisleway is bigger than any railroad room I've ever had. Are you having to keep the floor space open for storage or something? Why not do like 2 or 3 peninsulas? They wouldn't need more turnouts or industries or anything, just have longer runs between the few towns?
    "Do Not Hump!?!?! Does that mean what I think it means?!?"--Michelle Blanchard

"People saw wood and say nothing, but railroad men saw trains and say things that are better left unprinted."--Charles De Lano Hine

Down with UP

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ranulf For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,289 Times in 1,736 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG6942 View Post
    shortened or curved for fitment.
    "Fitment." If that's not yet a word used for model railroad design, it should be.

Yeah, I know it's a noun synonymous with "equipment." But "curve fitment" just cuts right to heart of the matter.
    Last edited by Paul Schmidt; 11th Aug 2019 at 07:36 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,289 Times in 1,736 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG6942 View Post
    Better idea??
    More spacious feeling, I think.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ranulf View Post
    The open, unused space in your aisleway is bigger than any railroad room I've ever had. Are you having to keep the floor space open for storage or something? Why not do like 2 or 3 peninsulas? They wouldn't need more turnouts or industries or anything, just have longer runs between the few towns?
    that would be great, however this is all one town, see the map pin I dropped in a previous post

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveG6942 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and the joys of living an hour and 15 minutes from what you're modelling.......... all 3 are dirty but all 3 are pretty

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SteveG6942 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the second plan a little more than the first, but let me go all reach police on you here: depending on your layout height, the 30" depth in the lower right corner may prove problematic for operations. I have a 30" section that's about 52" up and it's much, much easier to access from both sides. Limits the amount of damage to anything between where you are and where your hand is.

Sam

23. The Following User Says Thank You to samusi01 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,636 Posts
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I am reading things right, the line that is tucked into the absolute top left corner is that actual outside-world connection. I think this should actually lead to a staging track or yard of some type. This could be a helix in that corner, to go down to a staging yard that is below the left or top sides, or it could just be a track or two that stretch along the top edge behind a low horizon backdrop (no sky, so you can just reach over it to access the tracks, with sky beyond).

Regarding the benchwork for the middle portion, a long skinny peninsula can be rather unstable, so I would suggest that the neck that connects it to the outer shelf be made rather wide to serve as a brace. Since this can be easily reached from both sides, I think you could get away with a neck that is 4' or even 5' wide. This would just be a lot of scenic space, but that can help to establish the context of this being one contiguous town.

I would shift that peninsula a bit to the right so that the aisle on the left is maybe a foot or two wider, since you have so much space on the right. You're likely to have operators facing both ways in this aisle, and people moving in and out have to flow through there, so this could become a choke point.

The benchwork for that peninsula will likely be some form of open grid or joists on L-girders, all on a series of legs. Be sure to combine legs with diagonals or with plywood gussets that stretch across its width (left to right) to minimize wiggle. You might even treat the very end of that peninsula more like a piece of custom cabinetry (which is what I have been doing for my benchwork); instead of spindly legs, make a set of shelves that has slabs of plywood or other rigid sheathing in each of the 3 dimensions, to make a box.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

25. The Following User Says Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,386 Times in 2,729 Posts
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    I would shift that peninsula a bit to the right so that the aisle on the left is maybe a foot or two wider, since you have so much space on the right. You're likely to have operators facing both ways in this aisle, and people moving in and out have to flow through there, so this could become a choke point.

You might even treat the very end of that peninsula more like a piece of custom cabinetry (which is what I have been doing for my benchwork); instead of spindly legs, make a set of shelves that has slabs of plywood or other rigid sheathing in each of the 3 dimensions, to make a box.
    I was thinking of these ideas as well...
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by samusi01 View Post
    I like the second plan a little more than the first, but let me go all reach police on you here: depending on your layout height, the 30" depth in the lower right corner may prove problematic for operations. I have a 30" section that's about 52" up and it's much, much easier to access from both sides. Limits the amount of damage to anything between where you are and where your hand is.

Sam
    Mine will be 41.25" to the top of this section, I also have monkey arms that are 38" between the hand and shoulder :yikes: Thanks for looking out though

29. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveG6942 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    If I am reading things right, the line that is tucked into the absolute top left corner is that actual outside-world connection. I think this should actually lead to a staging track or yard of some type. This could be a helix in that corner, to go down to a staging yard that is below the left or top sides, or it could just be a track or two that stretch along the top edge behind a low horizon backdrop (no sky, so you can just reach over it to access the tracks, with sky beyond).

Regarding the benchwork for the middle portion, a long skinny peninsula can be rather unstable, so I would suggest that the neck that connects it to the outer shelf be made rather wide to serve as a brace. Since this can be easily reached from both sides, I think you could get away with a neck that is 4' or even 5' wide. This would just be a lot of scenic space, but that can help to establish the context of this being one contiguous town.

The benchwork for that peninsula will likely be some form of open grid or joists on L-girders, all on a series of legs. Be sure to combine legs with diagonals or with plywood gussets that stretch across its width (left to right) to minimize wiggle. You might even treat the very end of that peninsula more like a piece of custom cabinetry (which is what I have been doing for my benchwork); instead of spindly legs, make a set of shelves that has slabs of plywood or other rigid sheathing in each of the 3 dimensions, to make a box.
    OK made the suggested changes to beef up the benchwork, thoughts? I would like to make shelf units or something for under the layout however I would also like to be able to get uder it should I need to fix wires easily. Thoughts?

You are correct about the far upper left track, that will eventually be the rest of the line allbeit NOT the other 65 miles of it.....to Lometa, TX. That section will come later and be above the current plan. It will focus on a couple bridges as well as San Saba, TX and Lometa, TX and maybe the siding in Richland Springs, TX.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteveG6942 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,386 Times in 2,729 Posts
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Steve that looks better.

If you're looking for storage under the benchwork, you could build your layout similar to modules or the Domino method, basically in sections for the peninsula.
    Use typical legs as those methods do.
    Then if you can some shelving that will fit under the layout, slide those shelving units up to some of the legs and clamp them together for strength.
    If you need to get under the layout, unclamp and slide the shelving sections out.

I'd try and find a method that works BEFORE you begin the benchwork, find some shelving that fits your needs, then see how tall it is and make sure it fits beforehand.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also a side note: just east of the dual trestles the back one in the pic is the main line to Lometa while the other goes south to the now defunct sand plants. There was a wye there back in the day when Frisco and Santa Fe shared Brady which is why the tack seems a bit screwy in that section the north to south was Frisco and the east west was Santa Fe. Where the wye was is a large area of raised land like they cut the wye into the ground when they made it which is very common. Here are a couple pics of the area

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteveG6942 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, in going through my engines and rolling stock.......plenty more to get rid of unfortunately.......I have come to the realization that 95% of the structure kits I have as well as my diamond scale 135' turntable don't make the cut for the new layout......... Should I just use the structures I have or unceremoniously off them like everything else that doesn't fit?? By the looks of everything I'll have to scratch build most of the buildings down there especially the sand plants. Let the opinions fly.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

put every thing in a box might need them later on

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sid For This Useful Post: