Thread: My "Not so new" M.O.W. rolling stock... from 1978.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My "Not so new" M.O.W. rolling stock... from 1978.

I’ve mentioned in a few posts that I came back to N-scale a couple years back, after a 40 year hiatus. In going thru some boxes in the basement looking for something else, I came across box containing a few photos of my locomotives and some scratch built M.O.W equipment and rolling stock from that first foray into N scale circa 1978-1980, and copies of a couple of magazine articles featuring my models. I thought I’d would share some of them with you all... a trip thru the “Way back” machine, if you will. There will be posts in a couple different sections of the board (motive power, rolling stock, and Nn3).

I thought I would start with some (standard gauge) M.O.W. equipment that I (mostly) scratch built back in late 70s for my fictional RR, the “Cascade and Northwestern (a subsidiary for the NP and GN, sister road to the SP&S):

N scale M.O.W. tetrad circa 1979.jpg

Included in the group photo are a free-lanced rotary plow (inspired by D&RGW Rotary OM), a flanger (based on an RGS prototype), A Jordan spreader (I think I based this off a D&RGW prototype that was featured in a Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette article... I didn’t even know what a Jordan spreader was at the time, just thought it looked like something cool, and relatively easy, to build), and a “Marion” steam shovel.

C&S Rotary #2:

N scale Rotary plow 1978 cropped.jpg

N scale Rotary plow 1978 cropped front.jpg

This was my second N-scale rotary plow, and was featured in an article in Railroad Modeler magazine in February 1978 (these are two pictures scanned from that article...I don’t seem to have close ups of this model). I think you can see the D&RGW influence.

There is a bit of a back story to this model. When I built my first rotary (C&S Rotary #1) in 1977, I was a Friday night regular at the LHS, “The Original Whistle Stop,” in Pasadena CA (I was an undergraduate student, and later a graduate student, in Pasadena). When I completed Rotary #1, I took it to the Whistle Stop to show “the guys,” and I agreed to leave it at the shop on display for a couple weeks. The next Friday when I went to the shop, the owner (Fred Hill) said that someone wanted to buy my rotary plow. I said it wasn’t for sale... For a couple weeks... every Friday night I’d go in, and Fred would ask if I wanted to sell my plow. He finally told me that the person who wanted to buy it was the owner of Dimi trains (Mel Roberts)... and for some reason, this persuaded me to sell it to him. I think Roberts paid me $85... doesn’t seem like a lot, but that would be ~$330 today. Fred later told me that my plow was the inspiration (tho’ not the “prototype”) for the rotary plow kit that Dimi Trains brought to market a few years later, which was later marketed by Tichy train group.

Well, now I didn’t have a rotary plow anymore... so I built C&S Rotary #2. #2 was actually the better of the two... more scratch building, I made jigs to space the grab irons better, etc. After that, whenever I scratch built something, I would make two copies (either working on them sequentially, or in parallel), selling one and keeping one (usually the better of the two) for myself.

The N-scale Marion shovel:

N scale Marion shovel left side.jpg

N scale Marion shovel right side.jpg

N scale Marion shovel cab.jpg

This was my second major “scratch” build. I got the inspiration from the HOn3 shovel kit sold by Rio Grande Models back then... and had plans that (again, I think) came from NG&SL Gazette... but there was a lot of “freelancing” and compromises taken because of the size and availability (or lack thereof) of parts. I used HO scale brake wheels for gears and larger pulleys, and HO block and tackle components for other pulleys. IIRC, there actually is a boiler housed inside the shovel’s shed enclosure. The two sides of the main boom were constructed of thin brass sheet, with rivet detail embossed with a sewing needle (I was a poor student, and it was the 1970s!) from the backside, which was then glued to styrene. The boom actually swivelled, so it could be coupled to an idler flat or tender (I never actually built the tender) and pulled around the layout. But, the boom could not be lowered, and the model was VERY top heavy, so you had to take those curves pretty slow or it would tip off the track.

One of the shovels was published in a “Trackside Photo” in Model Railroader... but I can’t remember the date of the issue (and didn’t find me copy).

Flanger:

N scale flanger.jpg

This model was based on a narrow gauge prototype owned by the RGS... again I think Rio Grande Models made an HOn3 kit. I don’t recall whether I had plans to “follow,” or just free-lanced from pictures.

Jordan Spreader:

N scale Jordan spreader.jpg

I think I based this model on a narrow gauge prototype owned by the D&RGW from plans in NG&SL gazette.

Sadly, I sold ALL of my N-scale models when I moved up to HOn3 circa 1980. I do wish I had kept them. If any of you have ever seen any of these models at conventions/shows or a friends or club layout, I’d love to hear what happened to them (probably long ago got tossed into a dustbin somewhere).

Anyway... Hope you all enjoyed the pics.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to NDave For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,844 Times in 1,909 Posts
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is some really incredible work in N scale, @NDave. They are all gems, but the flanger is amazing. You are a craftsman. ...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! I think the operative should be changed to "were"... in my youth. My eyes and hands aren't what they used to be. But, on the upside, my pocket book is (somewhat) bigger!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NDave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,846 Times in 3,686 Posts
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@NDave

Wow! Amazing builds, wonderful history... Thank you for sharing!
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

"Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post: