Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

Thanks
    Thanked 8,385 Times in 2,729 Posts
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Are these the same models that KATO and FVM models have released except with sound?
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Thanks
    Thanked 4,085 Times in 1,323 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    Are these the same models that KATO and FVM models have released except with sound?
    Same loco model, completely different chassis design. I just pulled up pics from their website and I have to say I'm disappointed. The details are pretty basic. About the same as Kato. I'll order a FVM and add sound.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,537 Times in 997 Posts
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody else out there have one of these? The ditchlights on mine are barely visible and I'm wondering if they're all this way? I've had the shell off so it could be that I messed something up in there. Unfortunately, being virtually senile, I don't remember what they looked like when before I took the shell off

Thanks!
    -Mark

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,289 Times in 1,736 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spookshow View Post
    Anybody else out there have one of these? The ditchlights on mine are barely visible and I'm wondering if they're all this way? I've had the shell off so it could be that I messed something up in there. Unfortunately, being virtually senile, I don't remember what they looked like when before I took the shell off

Thanks!
    -Mark
    Is there a CV setting to adjust the intensity of the ditch lights? Or is this a design flaw?

Perhaps yet another BLI "own-goal"? Details matter, and it's not just the small parts on the body shell. ...

I checked for some reviews on YouTube of the new release. Nothing yet AFAICS.
    Last edited by Paul Schmidt; 25th Aug 2019 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, there is no CV for adjusting ditchlight brightness. I don't know if it's a design flaw, that's why I asked if anyone else has one.

-Mark

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be something like the FVM GP60s and GEVOs where the light pipes and LEDs aren’t lined up quite optimally. On the FVM GEVOs, placing two LEDs, more in line with the light pipes, really does wonders.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to samusi01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got confirmation that they're all this way. That's pretty disappointing.

-Mark

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Spookshow's review: "As generally seems to be the case with BLI diesels, I have to clean the track every time I want to run one (even if I just cleaned it the day before)."

Meanwhile, my Atlas locomotives have no such issues.

Sorry, Mark, but what with squeaky wheelsets, unrealiable operation, and dim lights, these BLI units really don't deserve an "A". Not when compared to competitors' locomotives that don't suffer from these kinds of ills. All the pretty sounds stuffed on to a decoder don't make up for spotty performance and poor design.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess when you start your own website you can grade things however you see fit.

-Mark

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess when you start your own website you can grade things however you see fit.

-Mark
    No need to, really. I can just post a review here.

Look, I'm not trying to pick a fight. But dealing out A's in this era when smooth, reliable performance should be a given seems unobjective. So the next locomotive that sounds great but consistently runs like a watch with all the lights nice and bright gets what, an A+?

Smooth, reliable performance in this era is what's expected. It's the norm. It's not 1984 any longer and the first Atlas RS-3 has just changed the landscape. Every manufacturer can attain it if their QC is up to snuff. That rates a starting grade of "C" for every new locomotive that runs smoothly, quietly, and reliably out of the box. It's average, it's expected, it's broadly achievable, it's no longer superior viz. a long list of 1970's-era poor performers. It's become commonplace.

Then we can talk about "B's" and "A's" based on other features: ease of disassembly, details, sound quality and features, dimensional accuracy, etc.

Sorry to challenge you, but giving this BLI product high marks is much like the same thing people have accused MR of doing for decades in product reviews.

Your reviews are informative and objective, Mark. They're well done. It's just the grading at the end that I find incongruous.

(Before anyone who doesn't know me gets too excited, I wrote numerous product reviews for both Railroad Model Craftsman and Model Railroader as a free-lancer and a staffer. And yes, Con-Cor was not happy with my review of their N scale GS-4 in 2002. Ces't la vie.)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like spookshow reviews, but I read them. I think the grading system is fine for what it is. It would be nice if we could create a parallel performance review like vidmarks, where scores could rise as the over all quality rises in products. So last decades 1200 was good then, but current stuff should score 1600+. So sound scores might top at 20 now, but in 10 years when it's way better, you could get 30.
    Ed
    RF&P model railroaders
    T-trak

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ecfitzgerald For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since we all have our own particular concerns, any sort of coarse grading system (such as mine) is always going to be hugely subjective. For example, I daresay that our esteemed Mr Miranda has yet to meet a locomotive that he'd even rate a "C", let alone an "A". So, when it comes to my reviews, I'd just read them over and take whatever information out of them that you deem useful. The grades themselves are simply my macro opinion and are based solely on the things that are important to me personally.

I gotta say, I do get a bit irked by the dogmatic and agenda driven "Ford vs Chevy" types who have completely closed their minds to the possibility that "Brand X" might make something that somebody might like (since they have, for whatever reason, stridently deemed them unworthy). It's so tedious.

I dunno, maybe my time has passed. What say we get a Yelp-style review system for locos going, eh? In this social media driven world that we live in, every clodhopper with a crappy layout and a diminished brain capacity should get to have their equal say, amirite?

-Mark
    Last edited by Spookshow; 28th Aug 2019 at 10:11 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 252 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's up to the modeler how much close the eyes to manufacturing mistake and errors. And also a big factor is how much you wish that model. Spookshow did a great job to classify and to categorize all kind of locomotives. In this days of internet era, is the only one which solve this black hole in the locomotive market, in a simple and effective manner. For me, that is enough, A.B. etc. I do not need Einstein equation, or ton of paper for this kind of information. Even if he use grade like said above 1400 ; 1600...will not mean nothing in plus. I have a A-B-B-A F3 from BLI, i run them since they appear and i bought them, not any issue, not any spare parts on track, nothing. And for another part of as , was a disaster crappy locomotive. https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...urbing-Article
    If he go further with grading locomotives, have chance to be put on straitjacket by that psychiatrist.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd just read them over and take whatever information out of them that you deem useful
    Which is plentiful.

I guess I'm one of the "dogmatic" types you mentioned. I lived through the N scale junk of the late 1960s-1970s, when you could count the number of reliable, smooth-running locomotives on one hand.

Today, when you count the number of manufacturers offering reliable N scale locomotives, you need both hands to do it. So when it comes to the BLIs of our 1:160 world, I'm left wondering as to why Scale Trains, Atlas and Kato can consistently get it right product after product, but BLI trips along. Maybe it's just my perspective.
    Last edited by Paul Schmidt; 29th Aug 2019 at 07:50 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,245 Times in 937 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno, maybe my time has passed. What say we get a Yelp-style review system for locos going, eh? In this social media driven world that we live in, every clodhopper with a crappy layout and a diminished brain capacity should get to have their equal say, amirite?
    No. Your site is invaluable. Sure, there are occasionally grades that I disagree with, but as you said, it is subjective and there is bound to be disagreement. Plus, part of the utility of your site is that it's not just grading new locomotives, but allows comparison to that decades old loco I'm considering on whatever auction site. I understand Paul's point about better locomotive quality across the board and higher expectations these days, but it would be really hard to implement a new grading system while keeping things even.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post: