Thread: Weekend Update (23rd Aug 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Weekend Update (23rd Aug 2019)

Please update us on the progress you have made on your MRR projects this week (commencing: 23rd Aug 2019).

This weekly thread is to post little snippets about your layout/project progress.
    This is not be a substitute for your layout build thread, but just a mini update on what you got done for the week.

You can link from your layout build thread to your posts in this thread as a part of a more extensive post there, or visa-versa (post to your build thread and link to that post when contributing to this thread.

Click on a post's #number (right-hand end of the post header) to get the URL to that particular post in your browsers address bar.
    Copy and paste this as needed.

So, fellow nSn'ers, what have you been up to this week?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,538 Times in 997 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My interest in model railroading is kind of sliding towards the backburner for various reasons, but I did manage to finish a locomotive review - http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bli282.html

-Mark

3. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend said he had a surprise for me, this is what was delivered. My buddy says he found it at a garage sale and the previous owner said it had hung in a station at one time.
    cn2.jpgcn.jpg

5. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to DBR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More 3d printing, and painting ground goop with washes to get location specific colors.

New CAD model I am working on, Kalmar Ottawa T2 terminal tractor for my layouts intermodal area.

Side question, what is an intermodal port within a sea port called? Just 'intermodal port', or intermodal yard'? Seeing different uses and terms, not sure what to call it.

Edit: 1st time trying the full size image from Album thing and with all due respect to the one guy that cant stand clicking, I am going back tto thumbnails, I prefer posts with icons to click not images that make the post super sized and separate text. Hope that is OK and its not going to turn into some weird issue since it seems to be normal just that one guy that posted cant stand clicking. I prefer choosing, which others call clicking.

7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to AlohaMilton For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,310 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaMilton View Post
    Side question, what is an intermodal port within a sea port called? Just 'intermodal port', or intermodal yard'? Seeing different uses and terms, not sure what to call it.
    Intermodal yard is the more common term in Seattle/Tacoma. "Port" more often refers to the regional entity which also includes export grain elevators, etc.

The BNSF intermodal yard in Seattle proper near Elliott Bay is known as Seattle International Gateway Yard, or SIG Yard. The privately owned, BNSF-serviced intermodal yard in West Seattle alongside Elliott Bay is known as Terminal 5.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit: 1st time trying the full size image from Album thing and with all due respect to the one guy that cant stand clicking, I am going back tto thumbnails, I prefer posts with icons to click not images that make the post super sized and separate text. Hope that is OK and its not going to turn into some weird issue since it seems to be normal just that one guy that posted cant stand clicking. I prefer choosing, which others call clicking.
    Hmm, your pics came out fine and full size embedded with you text. No thumbnails, no clicking needed and no scrolling needed.

BTW, it's probably perspective distortion but the wheels look disproportionately small, especially the trailer ones. Is that how they are in the prototype?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Cab has proper scale, the trailer is a Tranworx from MTS that seems like a knock off, the wheels are tiny and out of scale. not sure whats up with that.

Interestingly, the T2 has offset front and back wheels.

The image thing, not sure the people that want images formatted and arranged for them really understand sharing the hobby with someone on mobile bandwidth...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AlohaMilton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 409 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, you can fit a full set of cross overs using #6 Atlas switches in a 4' N-Trak module. Since I now have enough modules to make a full loop at home I need a way to get between tracks!

--
    Leo Bicknell

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bicknell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Cab has proper scale, the trailer is a Tranworx from MTS that seems like a knock off, the wheels are tiny and out of scale. not sure whats up with that.

The image thing, not sure the people that want images formatted and arranged for them really understand sharing the hobby with someone on mobile bandwidth...

Drop floor trailers have smaller wheels as the floor is lower at the back compaired to a regular trailer ....Mike

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikec6201 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

deleting this explanation, not going to be baited into worrying about the wheels. really between the demands others post full size images and the passive aggressive finding of fault with others projects, I heard this place was less like that than others... I suppose it is but I still cant stand that stuff.

I honestly feel looking at the model in progress that the wheels which were calculated to be 11r22.5 as the vehicle comes with are fine. and if they were slightly off why even go there on a model in development? I did worry about it for a second so if you wanted to bug someone, well it did for a sec so there is your reward. But I wont pay any mind to any future posts so is that sort of degrades communication here and seems not worth the emotional benefit of feeling superior. I feel you might want to rethink your approach to criticizing others here, but its your call I will just not hang out as much.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The model looks fine to me overall @AlohaMilton, and I wouldn't worry one bit about posting full-size photos for anyone. I'm sure not.

But I don't think people asking about the tire size really is a form of "passive-aggressive" behavior or "baiting." It's just curiosity, not criticism. If that bothers you that much, perhaps it's your "bandwidth."

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 898 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New CAD model I am working on, Kalmar Ottawa T2 terminal tractor for my layouts intermodal area.
    What machine is that printed on? It looks really smooth. Is it your own machine or did you farm it out? Inquiring minds want to know.
    "Do Not Hump!?!?! Does that mean what I think it means?!?"--Michelle Blanchard

"People saw wood and say nothing, but railroad men saw trains and say things that are better left unprinted."--Charles De Lano Hine

Down with UP

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ranulf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,431 Times in 2,738 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

deleting this explanation, not going to be baited into worrying about the wheels. really between the demands others post full size images and the passive aggressive finding of fault with others projects, I heard this place was less like that than others... I suppose it is but I still cant stand that stuff.

I honestly feel looking at the model in progress that the wheels which were calculated to be 11r22.5 as the vehicle comes with are fine. and if they were slightly off why even go there on a model in development? I did worry about it for a second so if you wanted to bug someone, well it did for a sec so there is your reward. But I wont pay any mind to any future posts so is that sort of degrades communication here and seems not worth the emotional benefit of feeling superior. I feel you might want to rethink your approach to criticizing others here, but its your call I will just not hang out as much.

The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, The results of playing with my new airbrush. Two old Arnold orange and green coaches turned into CP3002 and CP3009. I have to say, the tru-colour paint sprayed very nicely. The decals are the usual Black Cat offerings.

IMG_9630 (2).jpg IMG_9633 (2).jpg

Coach #3009 was wrecked in an accident and coach #3002 might not have ever existed. So, all in, not really useful additions to my layout. But, hey, they look smart and will find their place.

Hot tip, don't stroke the cats before painting, that damn fluff hangs in the air for an age. I wonder if @Moose2013 has to wear a full suit when he paints ? I notice we never saw the finished results of those box cars he was painting up last year. Maybe there was a very good reason
    Thanks, Tom

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,538 Times in 997 Posts
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't it amazing that ancient Arnold and Bachmann cars are still the only N scale options for cars of this type? I think the models are damned near as old as the prototypes, lol.

-Mark

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,972 Times in 3,439 Posts
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those coaches are looking nice Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by tomcook View Post
    I notice we never saw the finished results of those box cars he was painting up last year. Maybe there was a very good reason
    Ummm, actually, errr, still working on those...
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spookshow View Post
    Isn't it amazing that ancient Arnold and Bachmann cars are still the only N scale options for cars of this type? I think the models are damned near as old as the prototypes, lol.

-Mark
    Shame really. I think modeling something in late 1800s with ornate 4-4-0s and 2-6-0s with an upgraded version of those Overton-style passenger cars would be fun.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    Shame really. I think modeling something in late 1800s with ornate 4-4-0s and 2-6-0s with an upgraded version of those Overton-style passenger cars would be fun.
    Those Atlas mogul's look nice and still pop up on ebay. Also the Athearn Overton/Overland coaches and verius wagons are kicking about too. So, something can be done, just not a big chose of quality items. I guess there's just not much demand.
    Thanks, Tom

32. The Following User Says Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post: