Thread: DBR Layout Starts Aug2019

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default DBR Layout Starts Aug2019

I'm starting my layout from scratch, there is a large corner of my Heated Garage( 8X17ft approx) whistling out to me, which will be home to the still unnamed Layout, you can see I have very little imagination when working with names hence "DBR layout starts".
    The current vision I have for my layout will be mostly running trains with some operational requirement, we live 45km's (27ish miles) from the nearest town and 160km's (100miles) from Winnipeg, (for Moose lovers we are in the perfect Habitat)
    this isolation say's that I will be a lone wolf owner operator of my railroad.
    I love passenger cars and they will be a major part of my design,(thank you Rapido for your latest announcements that will empty my bank account)
    At the moment I have drawn in a parallel main line plus a second single main line so I can run a number of trains at a time, I'm all set up with Digitrax command, circuit protection and turnout control with future use of JMRI hopefully leading to some form of computer control (that will be a whole different learning curve during the long cold winter nights)
    I'm attaching my first version of my xtrack design, this one has one large passenger yard at the bottom right and 2 minor yards at the top right, the rest of the canvas as far as yards and staging and towns are blank, I am open to all ideas and thoughts about what I have and where I should go from here, there is a good chance that I will be able to add staging yards under the layout and if I plan this right there maybe room for a helix so I can have a second layer sometime down the long road ahead, that really is putting the cart before the horse right now.
    Please take a look and and give me some feedback of what you think
    thanks
    Darrell

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DBR For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,284 Times in 3,654 Posts
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think my suggestions are going to be along the lines of "back up and start again" rather than trying to tweak or modify what you have shown. At first glance, the plan you have borders on too much track, but on closer inspection it might not be so bad, with the proper view blocks and a scenic awareness that maybe you're showing two competing railroads that might be routing through the same valleys, thus paralleling each other. There's ways you can make that work.

But as I said, maybe some refinement of the design goals would give us a better jumping-off point. I'm latching onto your love of passenger operations, and that seems to tell me that the focal point of the layout ought to be a major Union Terminal, that receives trains from many destinations. The counterpart to such a terminal would be a capacious staging yard, which as you suggest could easily be on a lower level reach via helix. Conceptually, the terminal would be a hub, with urban scenic density, and then the mainlines on the peninsulas would be spokes, that go out, loop around, and then come back to the staging below. Thus, operationally, you're pulling out of staging, traversing the length of a peninsula, arriving at Grand Central (I'm thinking roughly where your blue tracks are at the bottom), then continuing on outbound along another peninsula or shelf, then looping back and ducking under to get back to the same staging yard.

As you have drawn this plan, it suggests that the peninsula on the left can be viewed from two sides, while the shelf on the right is against a wall. This basically gives you three "legs" or "spokes" to work with. You could have one mainline (single or double track is up to you, I'm not getting in to that right now) that goes up the left side of the left peninsula, then spirals down at the top end to go below the right side. Similarly, the visible track on the right half of the peninsula loops around and returns under the left side. Then, on the right shelf where you're forced to have both visible routes exposed as part of the same scene, you could have that be the "common valley" approach where two railroads in competition with each other run more or less parallel.

The main way this would schematically differ from the plan you show is that the Union Terminal would need to be positioned such that all routes come to it and collect there. The blue tracks you show seem to be more of a bypass that makes a connection between green and orange routes, without being integral to either.

One thing that is not clear is just how much access you will have along the bottom edge; is this against a wall too? Presumably the top and left sides are open to the room.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes you are correct the bottom edge is against a wall as well as the Right edge. thank you for your quick and thorough reply gives me lots to think about.

Darrell

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,145 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darrell,

I agree with WP&P to a certain extent. It does appear as though you have "two separate layouts in one", the Green Track then the Blue/Orange track each serving a specific purpose. You have a lot of room (area wise) for a track plan and I think that better use of that area could be made to facilitate a "single layout". From my perspective, it looks as though you are making the layout more "complicated" than it perhaps need to be to achieve your end goal. With that being said, if your primary goal is passenger trains then I would utilize the majority of your room/space for a "Passenger Line" with appropriate room for scenery for that line, meaning towns, passing tracks, sidings.

At first glance, much of the "orange/blue track work" could be incorporated into the "green track work" for a much more smooth flowing track plan allowing for continuous running (the green) while undertaking yard operations.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,505 Times in 1,825 Posts
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's going to be a bit of a nightmare to scenic as well, Darrell, what with tracks crossing each other at those angles.

If you haven't done so yet, I'd get a copy of "Track Planning for Realistic Operation" and I'd also visit Kalmbach Media's site for an Information Station on modeling passenger train operations. You be out less than $50, but have a wealth of information to help your revisions.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d second the recommendation to pick up Track Planning for Realistic Operation. It will enhance your thinking about layout design by showing how to incorporate features from the prototype. Helped me a lot.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 494 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    I'd get a copy of "Track Planning for Realistic Operation"
    Another ditto on that; best $ I ever spent on my layout was buying that book.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NtheBasement For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the layout looks pretty good. When I completed mine, I noticed that I had a couple of areas where track ran parallel with the edge of the benchwork. Personally I don't like that but that is my preference. I should have added a few, small, curve segments to break up the length of track that goes in a straight direction. (unless you have long yards)
    You have lots of space for a great layout. To help me, I bought "track planning for realistic operations" by John Armstrong. That helped me tremendously.
    Last edited by prunk606; 31st Aug 2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: typo

15. The Following User Says Thank You to prunk606 For This Useful Post:

DBR

Thanks
    Thanked 1,736 Times in 594 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the scenic divide.
    Daniel Dawson

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mobile One For This Useful Post:

DBR

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other than some of the very long strait runs it looks really good. The runs I am referring to are the long straits that are parallel to the edge. Just make those straits at a slight angle to the edge and visually it will look better. That or introduce some slight curves along the run.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Digitallagasse For This Useful Post:

DBR