Thread: What should I use for a base in this situation.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What should I use for a base in this situation.....

Hello guys. I am redoing a 2'x4' layout that I did when I was 19. It looks unrealistic, flat, and toy like. I am scrapping it and starting over. I want to make a multi-dimensional layout with a lake, a bridge, and hills, etc. I think you got the picture. Now it's important to know that this 2x4 plank of wood that my layout is on is laying directly on my furniture(a 3 drawer dresser/chest). Moving forward, would I be ok with just using a 2x4 of extruded polystyrene? Please keep in mind that my layout can only be put on this dresser. As always, I appreciate everyone's time and consideration.
    -Christian

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,439 Times in 2,745 Posts
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cboisits View Post
    Moving forward, would I be ok with just using a 2x4 of extruded polystyrene?
    Sure you could. I'd consider protecting the edges with luan plywood, gatorboard or foamcore glued to the edges of the extruded foam board.

You can route wiring to track feeders and the like via shallow troughs carved in the foam.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,765 Times in 1,664 Posts
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And may I suggest you use 2 inch thick foam for rigidity? Or two layers of 1 inch. That would enable you to have a base layer, pre-carve a river and pond into the 2nd layer, and add hills with the scraps. All of this can be shaped with a serrated knife and 60 grit sandpaper in a palm sander. Do the sanding outside or keep a vacuum cleaner sucking the foam dust as you go.

This way you can shape hills and the slight valleys alongside the subroadbed.

One of the things that bothers me about many layouts (and mine, too, in retrospect) is that most of us forget the minor undulations of the ground above and below the roadbed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the past, when I had a small space to work with, I had the mindset that what I built could be added to a larger layout in the future. I was thinking about a small switching layout like the one I have included below.
    IMG_2558.jpg

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prunk606 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,439 Times in 2,745 Posts
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prunk606 View Post
    In the past, when I had a small space to work with, I had the mindset that what I built could be added to a larger layout in the future. I was thinking about a small switching layout like the one I have included below.
    IMG_2558.jpg
    Ah, yes, "101 Track Plans for Model Railroaders", Linn Westcott's classic. Lots of old-school ideas, but glimpses of the new school here and there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff guys. I can feel my confidence growing to actually begin the layout.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 521 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 to the 2" thick foam. You can do quite a bit with it, and the scraps work great for building hills etc. Here's a photo of my recently scrapped 2'x4' layout with which I followed exactly the same model you're describing.
    WP_20140824_004.jpg

The one thing I did wrong with that layout was that even though I had a water feature, a tunnel and a cut-through, a lot of the layout was still very flat. I would've varied it a lot more if I was doing it all over again. Also the hill with the tunnel was waaay too steep for the rest of the terrain. A cut-through looks a lot nicer, and still gives the visual separation of scenes when viewed at eye level. Here's an example of what I'm talking about from a 3'x7' layout that's even from farther back in time.
    13a - Plexiglass Guard.jpg

Another thing I would suggest is to use cassettes for staging that dock to the end of your source of cars for your switching layout. I've been using these for a while and they're a great way to handle/store/swap out your rolling stock.
    Serdar

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ssoysal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. So what I should do is start with a 2x4 extruded polystyrene base and then use 2 layers of 1" thick foam. Is there any special type of foam I should use?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 521 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been very happy with the extruded foam insulation (the pink dense foam stuff) you can find at hardware stores. You can cut it any which way you like, sand it etc. It's more rigid than the standard white foam and it doesn't flake.
    Serdar

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,765 Times in 1,664 Posts
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer blue foam (same as the pink, no difference ). I also use the 1/2" thick foam structurally, to support my upper deck. Photos on my layout thread somewhere. I cut arches into it for access and weight reduction.