Thread: ESP32 Based Web-Controlled Servo Turnout Control

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ESP32 Based Web-Controlled Servo Turnout Control

I just spent two weeks in a Chicago hotel while doing training for work. Every night I put some time into writing code based on the ESP32 module to control servos through a webpage. I shot a video while I was working on it to show some progress.

https://youtu.be/HkO9X_CsMnE
    Jason Rausch
    N Scale (Mostly)
    BNSF, N&W, Conrail, PRR and NS
    RPC Electronics, LLC (Model Railroad Electronics)
    rpc-electronics (dot) com

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KE4NYV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting project. I can see how using the wireless comms of the ESP32's will make hooking up multiple 'controllers'. I've been developing Arduino 'servo control' code. Setting the 'servo' end points is a critical function that needs to be 'easy' to configure - and as you mentioned each servo is potentially 'unique' and hence needs to be calibrated to some degree. I use a second Arduino as a Configure Master using the I2C interface to setup each servo.

I would also suggest considering controlling Relays for the frog power, and other pins for indicating the turnout state. This can be where you start to run short on pins. Another 'want' is to be able to link multiple servos together for controlling crossovers etc.

Happy programming!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 471 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 7 Arduino mega's with sensor shields controlling over 55 servos on my layout now, and in the process of adding 4 more mega/shields for another 47 servos as I write this. 6 of the mega's are/will be used for yard throats, with 10 to 16 servos on each. I'm using rotary switches to control them in the yards. For single servos, I use a dpdt switch and one side control's the servo and the other side indicates on the control panel with LEDs. The mega and shields are cheap enough that I'm using them any place that I have a large group of turnouts. I have a small staging yard that I'm using a Uno with a sensor shield. That one just has 6 servos on it. The longest signal wire that I've run so far is about 10 feet and it's 18 gauge wire and seams to work OK. I use a 5 volt buss that I wire all the servos power and ground to and just a signal wire that goes back to the Arduino. The longest activate wire I've run so far is about 15 to 18 feet. I used 18 gauge 12 conductor shielded cable on them and have had no problems so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    I would also suggest considering controlling Relays for the frog power, and other pins for indicating the turnout state. This can be where you start to run short on pins. Another 'want' is to be able to link multiple servos together for controlling crossovers etc.
    Just to keep costs down, I use a small limit switch on the 3D printed servo mount to power my frogs.
    Rodney

Here is my build of my n-scale railroad
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...-50-8-quot-%29

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    Another 'want' is to be able to link multiple servos together for controlling crossovers etc.
    Depending on your Arduino control method, shouldn't this be pretty straightforward? My present turnout solution is a JMRI - Arduino connection, and setting something like this up as a route in JMRI would be pretty easy.

Sam

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sam

I haven't 'yet' gone the JMRI route - that is something for the future. As I have the written my own Arduino code, is it easy enough for me to program the desired functionality which I guess is the essentially the same as 'programming' a JRMI route.

My comment was more aimed as a functionality suggestion for Jason's project as it was something that I've needed.