Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Funny Railroad Stories!

Hope you have a good laugh!

https://youtu.be/qC_VHz0Cd0s
    Check Out My Scratch Built Items For Sale!
    www.djstrains.com

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DJSTRAINS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All railroaders have a collection of stories from the job, myself included....
    Cheers,

Russ

CEO of Devil's Gate Mining Co.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mosslake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 329 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mosslake View Post
    Don't tempt us, tell us one
    Thanks, Tom

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely... Unfortunately the list of funny stories is much shorter then the bad stories at least on my end.
    Be positive, Be polite, have fun with the hobby!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man Overboard

Ok, similar to the second story.....A down freight train pulls into the crossing loop at Murrurundi in the Liverpool ranges, 352.30 km (218.91 mi) from Sydney, about 2.30am. I told the driver they had a 20 minute wait for the other train (a cross or 'meet' in US terms). Half way through the wait time, the second person apparently decided he had to go do 'No.2s', told the driver and left the cab of the 82 class loco.
    The other train ran by and route was duly set (by me, being the controller, what you'd know as dispatcher) over the range and down to Willowtree
    375.70 kilometres from Sydney where it stopped on the main while another train entered the loop and attached rear end helper engines. The driver was concerned by this time that his mate hasn't returned so decided to go check on him. A word about the 82 class here, they are duel cabbed, noseless GMs built in 1992, totaling 58 (with 4 wrecked/scrapped). The toilet is accessed off the side walkway, outside the cab. So the driver pounded on the dor...no response.....opened it......empty! a quick check on the rear cab failed to find him. The crew of the other train now in the loop (and blocked by this train) joined in the search but nothing.
    About this time I was told of a possible 'man overboard' suspecting he'd fallen off the moving train. A replacement person was sent by car from Werris Creek depot while i called a sleepy track forman to get his Hirail and start up the range from Murrurundi. The up freighter got underway with all lights blazing, slowly climbing the range looking for this guy after the other train pulled forward to clear the points.
    The replacement second person arrives, and 2 minutes later, so does the missing man!! With everyone again accounted for, the track foreman cleared track and the up freight resumed normal crawl up the range.

The story -as I was told- is the second person decided to use the old station rest room and when he finally exited the place onto the platform....no train!! He ran down town and was able to hitch a ride from a passing motorist on the New England highway. This road parralles the railway for much of it's route over the range and he found his train again at willowtree. Needless to say the powers were not amused....

Sorry if it seems a bit long...
    Up freifht passing through Murrurundi. The station toilet is at the end of the awning. the train's on the main, the loop it to the left
    https://www.nswrail.net/locations/ph...14?iframe=true
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/29513280@N05/25061046253
    Willowtree
    https://nswrailwaystations.wordpress...-tree-station/
    82 class locomotive
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_So...ass_locomotive
    https://www.flickriver.com/groups/30...l/interesting/
    Cheers,

Russ

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosslake For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fastest Tamper in the West

And another one, from the same general locale (as it was my area of control).
    BSX33, a Plasser tamper was an evil minded, cranky, broken down SOB that was liked by noone, least of all those who's unfortunate job it was to operate and/or maintain it in the field. Broken welds meant it kind of 'flopped' along at the best of times.
    This one particular day, it was tamping between Murrurundi and Ardglen (the summit of the Liverpool range). Leaving it to the last minute to clear for the daily passenger, it was limping upgrade trying to make it over the summit and away down to Willowtree. The darn thing stalled twice (did I say it was an evil SOB??) but finally rolled through Ardglen and onto the downhill.
    This is where things started to go wrong. BSX33 suddenly 'surged' forward and took off like a rocket. It was bouncing up and down, probably because everything was so worn on it and welds broken but the crew of 3 was hanging on for dear life and trying to slow the thing down..... Anyway, it took one giant bounce into the air....and derailed! It slewed sideways, and according to a very shaken traffic officer, seemed to accelerate!
    What to do?? Fortunately it stopped short of the Kankool points (a short crossing loop half way between Willowtree and Ardglen) otherwise it would have rolled over. The passenger was due in 40 minutes. The Traffic supervisor, standing beside me, called a crane hire company in the off chance something cold turn up and as luck would have it, a 30 ton crane wasn't far away,returning home. They got it up onto the access road beside the line, lifted BSX33 off and sat it on the access road and didn't block the passenger. It was later reloaded onto a truck and taken to Newcastle track machine workshop, where it sat, slowly contributing parts to it's brothers, never to be seen again.....
    Cheers,

Russ

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosslake For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 1,836 Posts
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem is, so many are hard to put into context for non-railroaders. The stories I could tell! But often there are nuances and jargon inherent to railroading culture that tend to clutter up the telling because they need clarification for context.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,332 Times in 3,664 Posts
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    that tend to clutter up the telling because they need clarification for context.
    But jokes are funnier when you explain them, aren't they?

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/