Thread: Multi Unit numbering - Quick question?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Multi Unit numbering - Quick question?

I have purchased 2 sets of these Kato Great Northern F7/A and F7/B units. Both are the same road numbers. The A unit is 444A & the B unit is 444B.

I bought 2 sets because I've always wanted an A-B-B-A set even though I don't really have room and they were on sale.

My question is when I install the Digitrax decoders what is the best way the give them their each own loco number? I'm running an NCE Power cab.

Somehow I need to figure out how to give them each a specific road number? When I bought these I was going to repaint them in the NYC cigar band paint scheme.

But the more I look at these this GN paint scheme is growing on me. I might paint one of the B units to NYC and still leave me an A-B-A set in GN. I've even decided to change my layout

from "Somewhere in Central Ohio" to "Somewhere in Central Illinois" so I can have a fictitious Interchange track with the GN. I'm trying to do this with minimum body work?

KatoGNF7.jpg
    Last edited by Bryan; 30th Sep 2019 at 11:04 PM. Reason: More descriptive title

Thanks
    Thanked 8,891 Times in 2,889 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

One possible option:

Then mark on the bottom 0-3

Or renumber the second set.

Or similar
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYC54 View Post
    But the more I look at these this GN paint scheme is growing on me. I might paint one of the B units to NYC and still leave me an A-B-A set in GN. I've even decided to change my layout from "Somewhere in Central Ohio" to "Somewhere in Central Illinois" so I can have a fictitious Interchange track with the GN. I'm trying to do this with minimum body work?
    Perhaps "somewhere central Minnesota" is more appropriate as the Great Northern didn't operate east of roughly Superior, Wis.; St. Paul, Minn.; or Sioux City, Iowa.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railohio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have these....

IMG_2072.jpg

They are on my 'to sell on ebay at some point' list.
    These were with the silver trucks though

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DanB80 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 990 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do what @Allen H suggested above, except I use 1 for A (1st letter of the alphabet), 2 for B, and so on. So for me, 444A is 4441, 444B is 4442... and that's all, 'cause I only have the AB set not the ABBA.

If I'm not mistaken, the shells that @danb90 posted will have the second headlight (actually a Mars light) and some details on top at the back that look like it has a steam generator. GN used F7s for both freight and passenger service. There's probably an exception out there somewhere, but generally the passenger ones had silver trucks, a Mars light (second headlight on these models), and steam generators as well as different gearing for higher speeds.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DanB80... are these just the shells/body you are selling? If so let me know how much?

Thanks, NYC54

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

railohio... yes I know but the GN & NP did jointly own the CB&Q/Burlington and I believe the CB&Q did interchange with the NYC at Zearing IL. The NYC Kankakee branch.

That is what got me thinking of central IL over Ohio. For years when I couldn't have a layout I always dreamed of modeling the NYC around Galion OH about 1966.

Now I want to change history and model NYC in central Il. With an early 70's time frame with no Penn-Central or Burlington Northern mergers. It seems to suit my needs.

And the rest they say is history!
    Last edited by NYC54; 29th Sep 2019 at 09:39 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just remember modeller's rule #1 with moose cavieat #1 which goes something like;
    'It's my layout so I can do what I like, bending and otherwise interfering with the time/space continium and history time lines as long as I post Moose approved photos'....says it all....
    Cheers,

Russ

CEO of Devil's Gate Mining Co.