Thread: Mixing Peco code 80 turnouts with atlas code 55 flex.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mixing Peco code 80 turnouts with atlas code 55 flex.

I am finishing up laying out all my track and have been running into the issue of Atlas code 55 switchs having issues. About 12 years ago I was giving a lot of atlas code 55 flex and a few turnouts. I bought a few more atlas code 55 turnouts and everything went into storage. What I am finding is out of my 6 #7 rights only 2 work, 2 out of 4 #10 lefts work, and 5 out of 8 #7 lefts work. With turnouts being so hard to come by from atlas I am looking to other ideas.

I have a lot of peco code 80 turnouts from my last layout that are in good wokring order. I am considering using these in place of the broken atlas code 55 turnouts.

What I am not sure on is if I should maybe use some atlas code 80 section tracks before and after each turnout to transition from code 55 to code 80 or if I should do it directly at the turnout. The other option is to convert the atlas code 55 into peco 55 and then go into the peco 80. Flastly I am unsure if it would be better to do the smash the rail joiners and solder methiod or grab a bunch of those ME transition joiners. Truth be told if I did not have all the code 55 flex I would have likly started from scratch and used all kato.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 528 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have only smashed the joiners and soldered. I have never tried the ME transition joiners personally. I just ordered some ME C55 flex tonight. Got roadbed and track coming.
    I have to admit those Atlas c55 turnouts are pretty delicate. I ruined 4 building my present layout and still building. I decided to try not solder them.
    Sexiest fat man alive.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of them I broke my self. The number 10s seemed to be missing a ring that holds the point rail on. The #7 with issues seems like rails near the back of the turn put out are twisting. It could be that back when I bought them it was a bad batch. Either way right now since I have those Pecos on hand i am really considering putting in those in and finish the layout.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,855 Times in 468 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not fix the Atlas turnouts. It's not that hard. I filed the points from Atlas rail, used HOn3 PC ties from Clover House for the throwbars, and used Atlas rail joiner cut in half with a cutoff disk. Carefully cut out the tie area where the joiners goes to add the joiners, add the points and solder them to the throwbar.

Rodney

Here is my build of my n-scale railroad
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...-50-8-quot-%29

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kind of like your idea. It would be cheaper then buying new and will look better then using the Peco

7. The Following User Says Thank You to josef86 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had some luck getting a few more turnouts into shape. I was able to “finish” laying down my basic track plan. After finding how much additional work is required to solder code 55 rail I have concluded I won’t be using atlas code 55 on any thing in the future.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,713 Times in 1,629 Posts
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I assume that it is the Code you are having an issue with, more so than the make? If it is, and depending on how much track you have, it "might be worth" replacing the Code 55 with Code 80, if nothing else it will be compatible with your Code 80 Peco Turnouts which, when alls said and done, are a better and more robust turn out. Just a thought ....
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have over 100 Atlas Code - 55 turnouts that consist of # 5's & 7's on my layout that I built back in 2004 and have moved it from Wisconsin to Nebraska and reassembled it with only one turnout having damage. I ran the layout until 2017 when I again disassembled it to put in storage until I move to Tennessee and reassemble it.
    I have not had ant issues with the Atlas Code - 55 turnouts and have some that I purchased used. I actuate some with Tortoise switch machines and some with Caboose Industries manual throws.
    Perhaps I have just been lucky not to have had any issues with my turnouts in near 10 years of running?

Before settling on using Atlas Code - 55 track I ordered a ME turnout and some of their flex track, as well as a Peco Code - 55 Turnout and length of their Flex, I did a comparison of the 3 and saw no advantage to the ME or Peco over the Atlas (Peco is way huskier and thus stronger) but the Atlas was less expensive and offered a wider selection of track components plus had a more realistic tie spacing than the Peco.

I did not solder any of the turnouts to the joining track but did all of the other joints less a few that were left un soldered to allow for expansion and I did solder feeder wires to each section of joined flex tracks.
    I will say that my Atlas Code - 55 Turnouts were purchased back in 2005 and perhaps the quality was better??
    Boilerman

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I had a bad patch since it seems to effect the ones that were in unopened packages. (all 2009) The ones already open work just fine. I ended up just putting in the peco turnouts in the problem areas.
    *update* I am going to go with that batch was bad. As each one of them I have been having issues is out of gauge (too narrow).
    Last edited by josef86; 17th Oct 2019 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After spending a good 40 hours trying to get the track working I have pulled it all up. I am moving over to Kato for all my mainline track. I am okay with keeping the code 55 for spurs and yards as I have had decent luck getting that to work with out too many issues.