Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 1,836 Posts
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Some promising N scale coverage in MRH

The October issue of Model Railroad Hobbyist has a feature on an N scale Santa Fe layout set in 1948 in the SoCal orange groves.

It's more of a layout-planning story than a nicely illustrated feature, so it's a bit underwhelming as a layout feature. However, I like the theme, given that three years ago I was preparing to build an HO scale version of the Venta Spur myself.

It appears that MRH has another N scale feature in store for the November issue as well.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,334 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It’s about time. I don’t think I’ve read MRH in six month because of the lack of N Scale. I’ll check this one out.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpwisc View Post
    It’s about time. I don’t think I’ve read MRH in six month because of the lack of N Scale. I’ll check this one out.
    I hear you, Karl. I feel the same way. I subscribe to MRH's Running Extra as well, but everything is so HO-centric.

One of the excuses publishers give is, "We can only publish what we get." Nonsense. For instance, if MRH or Model Railroader can travel to do a feature on an HO layout like Bruce Chubb's, or send out a stringer do it, then why not with a layout like the Oregon Joint Line, or yours, or @Allen H.'s, just to name a few. Seems like a matter of their personal interest to me.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 328 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    I was preparing to build an HO scale version
    Mr. Schmidt, Could we please keep the language clean on the forum.

Thanks, Tom

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tomcook View Post
    Mr. Schmidt, Could we please keep the language clean on the forum.

Er, um, you bet. Sorry. ....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,267 Times in 3,508 Posts
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...I was preparing to build an HO scale version of the Venta Spur myself...

Moose knows where you live mister!

~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

"Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,727 Times in 2,821 Posts
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I hear you, Karl. I feel the same way. I subscribe to MRH's Running Extra as well, but everything is so HO-centric.

One of the excuses publishers give is, "We can only publish what we get." Nonsense. For instance, if MRH or Model Railroader can travel to do a feature on an HO layout like Bruce Chubb's, or send out a stringer do it, then why not with a layout like the Oregon Joint Line, or yours, or @Allen H.'s, just to name a few. Seems like a matter of their personal interest to me.
    I agree Paul.
    How many times has Bruce Chubb's layout been featured in magazines? (Don't get me wrong, it's always nice to see it.)
    There's a lot of N scale layouts that have been noted in recent years in forums alone that could be visited and made into a decent article.
    It's not like there's a lack of them anymore.
    To add to your list: Jerry Reising's - Oakville Sub, Daryl Kruse's - Geneva Sub
    , Joe Kasper's BN - Marias Division, Bret Overholtzer's MKT - St. Louis Subdivision, Rodney Edington's (our own @rodsup9000) - Feather River Route and John Percy's - Buffalo and Pittsburgh just to name a few more.
    Heck I bet there's enough that they could include one N scale layout a month and have a solid year of N scale articles?
    Also why not one on the Reid brothers layout "Still running after "X" number of years" Why not visit them again?

Maybe it's a conspiracy? Maybe Walthers is behind it so they don't have to be bothered to make more N scale kits?
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,334 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

MRH reached out and connected with me on Linkedin, but never asked any content. I still don't know why they bothered.

Some of their team is openly anti-N. I asked Ken Patterson why there was no N Scale content for 4 months in his "What's neat this week" video and he told me "You need to see the big picture, there aren't that many N Scalers". There are more of us than there are On3 or S Scale modelers, but they still get plenty of coverage. I can see why N Scale manufacturers are opting out of advertising in MRH.

If it was my magazine (which it is not) I would be doing some leg work to get a broader spectrum covered. Even Model Railroader makes sure to have N Scale content every month. That's how you get readers to see scale specific ads.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I asked Ken Patterson why there was no N Scale content for 4 months in his "What's neat this week" video and he told me "You need to see the big picture, there aren't that many N Scalers".
    You know what's funny about that Karl?
    Last July Dave held another open house at his store, Spring Creek Hobbies in Deshler, NE (a quiet little armpit in southeast Nebr).
    One N scaler drove all the way there by himself, Bill Selleck and set up his half of the Galesburg City Job modular layout. (I think he's from Michigan?)
    Regardless, good ol' Ken Patterson was there to do another "What's Neat" episode and when he was interviewing Bill he acted like it was the best thing he'd seen since sliced bread!
    At 4:21 Ken even said he is "So impressed with N scale"
    This guy is so full BS he could've walked out to the nearest field full of cows and they would have ran away due to the smell.

https://youtu.be/UiOINVLccwE

If they ever wanted to do a segment on my layout (LOL) I would first ask who's going to do the interview.
    If it would be Ken, I'd say "No Thanks, I just tore it down".

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, well. Since reading the awesome Ken Patterson comment on N scale, I WILL NO LONGER WATCH WHATS NEAT! He can drop off the earth as far as I am concerned. I just also un-subscribed from that junk on you tube. Man this just irks me!!

Angry Wyatt

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 498 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some reason all I see is the Sept issue. https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 476 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NtheBasement View Post
    For some reason all I see is the Sept issue. https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/
    https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine/mrh2019-10

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mu26aeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 476 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although it is an ** layout, about all I go to MRH for is the B&O/PC Cincinnati West layout thread.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mu26aeh For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mu26aeh View Post
    Although it is an ** layout, about all I go to MRH for is the B&O/PC Cincinnati West layout thread.
    And a good layout it is!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mu26aeh View Post
    LOL! I see what you did there!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,210 Times in 2,898 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I have downloaded all the MRH's since they started I can't recall reading one the last 2 years , I read RMC and MR in bed before I go to sleep , don't do that with digital magazines . Plus I hate it when someone promises something will be free forever and then don't keep that promise .
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, some brave soul waded into the pool on the MRH forum and dealt some nice counter punches in favor of our scale. Wyatt, was that you?

Frankly, I could care less what Ken Patterson has to say about N scale or anything else in the hobby. I find his podcast to be sleep-inducing. I believe Patterson's obtuseness about N scale was the subject of the OP's oblique references.

But read through the thread and you'll see exactly what I touched on in my second post above: MRH won't generate any in-house N scale articles and won't commission any, but will complain that they get very few N scale submissions because the two N scale magazines corral most of the authors.

Hmmm, that hasn't seemed to stop MR's N scale coverage the past 10 years or so.

Well, at least there's one this month in MRH and one scheduled for next. Although I do wonder if these were earlier rejected by MR and the N scale mags. I don't think the Santa Fe layout story would have made it past MR's article review committee, although Tony Koester might have considered it for Model Railroad Planning.
    Last edited by Paul Schmidt; 12th Oct 2019 at 06:55 AM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will throw one nod out to Joe Fugate on this subject. He personally called me about 2 years ago and asked me to write an article on my Arizona & California layout. It was definitely a shock to get a call out of the blue from the publisher. At any rate, the layout is nowhere near completion and was in the planning/benchwork/track laying process. I had a nice cover story and some good photos, but the article turned into a layout planning article with a lot of prototype reference. I did get a lot of good feedback through personal messages and e-mails from other modelers, especially those who model after prototypes. All in all, I think Joe really does want to promote the hobby and is not a scale snob, but he is also dealing with a lot of family issues right now that are probably taking him away from the magazine.

I've stopped following a lot of things on the MRH forums because I think the modeling in general has been watered down. I used to find a lot of good posts on there with folks actually building models and researching what they were doing. You can still find those posts, but it's much more difficult.

As for Ken... Back when MRH all started, I really liked his segments. He worked on his layout and showed his modeling skills. But his segment has definitely turned into a big advertisement for those manufacturers he takes photos for. Sometimes I think he is an Athearn employee... I'm not a fan of him anymore. When they did their big Colorado roadtrip, just after Caboose moved, his layout visits were all about Ken and what he liked about the layouts, gave the owners very little time to actually talk and answer questions or show their work.
    Doug M.
    Modeling the Arizona & California Railroad in N Scale

Visit my blog at parkerlocoworks.blogspot.com to see more of my models
    Visit my Facebook page www.facebook.com/nscalearzc to see more of my layout build

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to parkerlocoworks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I agree that Joe is trying to provide a great service for us.

Since we're dog piling on Ken, lol, I'll say that I've never been a follower of him or the What's Neat shows or podcasts.
    Nothing against the shows, but like magazines, I just skim through them if I think there's something interesting to me.

What soured me on Ken was at the last Spring Creek open house this past summer, I noticed him walking around like he owned the place
    and a couple of times when folks approached him, it was like he didn't want to take the time to talk to them.
    I suppose to some extent, if he did, he would have a hard time getting away, kind of like the paparazzi who follows
    the upper class around. But he wasn't didn't seem to do it in a very cordial way, he just walked away.

What really sealed the deal and left a bad taste in my mouth was in this episode of What Neat, again I only watched it because he interviewed Bill Selleck
    at the open house.
    In this episode one of the guys was showing how to make tarp covered loads, at one point the guy was brushing down the tissue and
    Ken just grabs the bottle of glue, asks if it would speed up the process and starts pouring it over the guys load and makes a hellava mess!
    Really?

https://youtu.be/UiOINVLccwE?t=625
    Time mark is at 10:25

All in all the entire episode looked amateurish.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MRH reached out and connected with me on Linkedin, but never asked any content. I still don't know why they bothered.

Some of their team is openly anti-N. I asked Ken Patterson why there was no N Scale content for 4 months in his "What's neat this week" video and he told me "You need to see the big picture, there aren't that many N Scalers".
    He needs to see the big picture. N is the only scale that's actually growing in modeler numbers. The editor of Model Railroader (an even bigger HO bastion than MRH) has confirmed it.

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post: