Thread: Some promising N scale coverage in MRH

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,579 Times in 1,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's for the local newspaper as a columnist.
    Paul Schmidt

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh...ok. Railroad related?
    Cheers,

Russ

CEO of Devil's Gate Mining Co.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mosslake View Post
    Ahhh...ok. Railroad related?
    Oh no, more a take on local politics -- everyone is fair game -- and general topics. The Gazette was my first real reporters job out of college 30 (!) years ago.
    Paul Schmidt

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    -- everyone is fair game --
    Just what you need here
    Cheers,

Russ

CEO of Devil's Gate Mining Co.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 427 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just my humble opinion here, but if people don't like Mr. Patterson's show because of his personality, wouldn't making him do N scale give our scale more negative than positive publicity for the same reason? Seems to me we'd be better off focusing our efforts on our own people instead of trying to get others to change. For instance, I've enjoyed watching some of Ron's Trains and Things shows on YouTube, and I know he's a member here. Maybe we don't have the backing to do a professional show, but let's focus on making our scale coverage stronger and better instead of tearing someone else's down. There's nothing I hate more in politics than a candidate who spends all their effort bashing another candidate instead of being respectful to others and trying to better themselves and their own image to win honestly.

I have next to no free time, but I would be interested in carving out a few minutes here and there to do short episodes showing what I'm up to if it would help our scale coverage.

Not trying to step on any toes, but to encourage us all to put forth our best effort and progress by the "may the best man win" policy. I see this forum as the voice of N scale, and really appreciate the positive and constructive atmosphere here. A couple things I would love to see more of would be more construction and build threads, especially with winter/modeling season coming on. I know I'm just as guilty in not helping in that regard much, but I do have my own winter project planned. @Bryan I would really love to see the articles section revamped to be able to search through all the articles instead of just the most recent. If those are more accessible and visible, it will encourage us all to write more articles of our own, which would be awesome! Maybe even some full sized layout articles! :d2:

Keep modeling!
    Andrew

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to conrailandrew For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last time I'll mention this about the above email to MRH publisher Joe Fugate unless something changes: 48 hours have passed and no reply.

I'm not disappointed about it, because my expectations were met.

But at least there's some coverage of N scale in MRH. And they do cover new N scale products sooner than the print competitors can, but obviously not as quickly as MRVP does each week.
    Last edited by Paul Schmidt; 10th Oct 2019 at 07:34 PM.
    Paul Schmidt

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,506 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by conrailandrew View Post
    ... Bryan I would really love to see the articles section revamped to be able to search through all the articles instead of just the most recent. If those are more accessible and visible, it will encourage us all to write more articles of our own, which would be awesome! Maybe even some full sized layout articles!
    Andrew, the Articles on the Home page are regular forum posts that get promoted to the Home page to bring some added attention to good content... the post still exists in the original thread.
    When prompted to Articles the post is categorized, so once it falls off the recent list it will still be in its category list.
    Category links are at the top of the Home page below the toolbar.
    Articles aren’t inherently searchable in this site software, but the site Google Search in the toolbar should in theory include them.

In all reality, they are more highlights than articles... so maybe renaming that section would be appropriate.

Any instructional post is potentially an article... having a descriptive title and meta tags is the best way have content come up in searches... Rating a thread not only lets others see the groups perceived value of that thread, but also aids in having it higher listing in a search.
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know Ken at all but did send him a note offering some kits for the N scale layout they said they were building, so far no response and been almost a month.
    Did mention I had offered his gal side kit Michelle some kits for her Rocky Mountain rr museum at the NMRA show and gave her a catalog also. Told her to come by a pick out some.
    Did this in front of Joe even. Did this Saturday morning. She must have walled by 20 times but too busy hobnobbing with the bib boy to care.
    Their lose in my book
    rich

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to spyder62 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple of thoughts.

1. HO gets more exposure simply because the overwhelming percentage of modelers in that scale. The numbers never lie they say, if you are trying to produce something in what is actually a small hobby compared to others you need to go where the numbers are. Thats HO. Could they do a better job of showing more N, absolutely.
    2. For me I like to see layouts, modeling, tech. I pay little attention to scale when watching layout vidoes etc.
    3. Ken Pattersons show is a bit odd, I dont watch it as much as I use to..... SO WHAT. Its Youtube folks, watch something else. There is practically endless content on YouTube. If you dont like it watch something else.
    4. And my last one to get full value of my 2 cents. If you dont like something fix it. Paul has taken a step in that direction and I applaud him for doing so.
    If you do no like what we are seeing on Youtube etc start something yourself. Or start a N scale only pod cast.... Give it a try, likely youll find out its pretty hard and your content is worse then what your complaining about, or you might have some success!

So take a deep breath and enjoy the hobby. A lot of those HO guys are not so bad when you get to know them!
    Be positive, Be polite, have fun with the hobby!

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,498 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bessemer Bob View Post
    A lot of those HO guys are not so bad when you get to know them!
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

"Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MRH just today posted a link to an index of all of Patterson's "What's Neat" episodes.

Four N scale layouts featured on the show in, what, nine years? And all four in 2018-2019.
    Paul Schmidt

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,838 Times in 2,865 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think that's the first time I've heard of the CRANDIC layout and the first time I've see The Grande outside of a magazine article.
    The last time I seen that was in MR back in the late 80's.

Plus I love what he said in the opening interview of the CRANDIC.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen H. View Post
    I agree that Joe is trying to provide a great service for us.
    Well, yes, that's very true, Allen, but in the end it's capitalism at its finest: modelers get a product, MRH gets a profit, and advertisers get a platform to make their presence and products known. It's all about the $$.

And since their "always free" business model and promise is cracking down the middle -- as I expected a few years ago that it eventually would (fewer free pages, fewer advertisers today than ever before) -- MRH has had to go to subscriptions for added content and revenue, but with no ads, because fewer people are clicking through on the ads. I hardly ever do. If I budget one to two hours a month to reading MRH on a device, why would I waste some of that time clicking through on ads?

I've struggled with the entire online mag concept. There's nothing tangible about it. No tactile feedback, nothing to grab and read. Just 1's and 0's mashed together into an online PDF. When MRH was free with great and copious content, yeah, OK, it's free so go with the flow.

But it's watered down now, and paying even $20 a year for the RE subscription for something I have to open up on my laptop to really see and have be useful on my workbench is just getting tiresome. No space on my workbench for a laptop anyway. Or burn up my own ink and paper to print out? Ink cartridges are pricey. Meh.

I think the days of magazines in this hobby are unfortunately in the rear-view mirror. Matter of "when" rather than "if" they'll vanish. I just cancelled my RE subscription. The online mag format is just not user friendly -- unwieldy on a device, too much blue light from exposure to a device is not good for your sleep, and you pay for paper and ink on the back end as a solution to the first two problems.

End of rant, and my apologies for it.
    Paul Schmidt

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough, now get back to the &%$# Slate Fork, Paul!!

I myself am trying to unglue my feet from the floor and do the same over here.
    Last edited by pwh70; 12th Oct 2019 at 01:42 PM. Reason: forgot a word

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pwh70 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,838 Times in 2,865 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well, yes, that's very true, Allen, but in the end it's capitalism at its finest: modelers get a product, MRH gets a profit, and advertisers get a platform to make their presence and products known. It's all about the $$.
    Of course Paul, why else would someone do something in this society if they couldn't make a profit, unless your swimming in dough?

And since their "always free" business model and promise is cracking down the middle -- as I expected a few years ago that it eventually would (fewer free pages, fewer advertisers today than ever before) -- MRH has had to go to subscriptions for added content and revenue, but with no ads, because fewer people are clicking through on the ads. I hardly ever do. If I budget one to two hours a month to reading MRH on a device, why would I waste some of that time clicking through on ads?

I've struggled with the entire online mag concept. There's nothing tangible about it. No tactile feedback, nothing to grab and read. Just 1's and 0's mashed together into an online PDF. When MRH was free with great and copious content, yeah, OK, it's free so go with the flow.

But it's watered down now, and paying even $20 a year for the RE subscription for something I have to open up on my laptop to really see and have be useful on my workbench is just getting tiresome. No space on my workbench for a laptop anyway. Or burn up my own ink and paper to print out? Ink cartridges are pricey. Meh.

I think the days of magazines in this hobby are unfortunately in the rear-view mirror. Matter of "when" rather than "if" they'll vanish. I just cancelled my RE subscription. The online mag format is just not user friendly -- unwieldy on a device, too much blue light from exposure to a device is not good for your sleep, and you pay for paper and ink on the back end as a solution to the first two problems.

No need to apologize Paul.
    You bring up some interesting points.
    "Always Free" is a flaw from the beginning, nothing in life is free. I thought the same thing when I first heard about Free MRH, how can they sustain that?
    There's always costs involved? But maybe they have something figured out?

I stopped reading magazines about 10 years ago, I got tired of paying for content that didn't interest me, but then I'm one to not toss them as there may be something
    that I can come back to later that could useful? So now I have hundreds of magazine on shelves in my basement that are covered with dust, taking up space, great?
    Haven't touched them in years. A friend use to cut specific articles and safe them in binders, that took care of the wasted space, but then to me that was wasting my modeling time?
    So the last mag I read was the one specifically on the Rock Island, but even so, I think I bought like 5 or 6 issues, and only because that they had something specific.

I have a subscription to MRH, but even though it free, I hardly ever read it, I usually just skim through it and delete it.
    Hell the one flyer that came out where they used one of pictures in the header I didn't even see, a buddy texted me and told me about it.
    It had something about making HO trucks better so they didn't stall, meh, nothing for me........DELETE!

I've gravitated to forums, even if we have to donate to the kitty to keep these going I'd much rather do that than pay for a magazine.
    For me, a forum is a lot more useful as this thread demonstrates, instead of reading an article and having questions about something that can't be answered and you're at the mercy of the publisher or author,
    here you can post to a thread and actually carry on a conversation with the author to get the details or to pick their brains and as a bonus, you have sense of comradery. I've met some great friends through forums.

I've heard that as well, magazines are dying, just like our hobby. I'm not sure Magazines will ever be die, they may fade a bit.
    But I've also heard that forums are a dying thing in the shadows of big social media. If I had to choose between magazines, forums or FB,Twitter, or whatever else there is out there, my money is on Forums.

The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pwh70 View Post
    Fair enough, now get back to &%$# Slate Fork, Paul!!

I myself am trying to unglue my feet from the floor and do the same over here.
    Yessir! Enough of my grumblings.
    Paul Schmidt

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,498 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pwh70 View Post
    Fair enough, now get back to &%$# Slate Fork, Paul!!
    Yeah! What Paul said!

Errr, the other Paul.

Sorry, Paul, no mean to disrespect you by referring to you as the other Paul, but really, Paul, not you Paul, but the other other Paul who is Paul not the other Paul, which is you Paul, not the other other Paul, Paul, really needs to get back to his, Paul's, Slate Fork reforestation project...

All these Paul's are making Moose dizzy!
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

"Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2013 View Post
    All these Paul's are making Moose dizzy!
    We've got you surrounded, which means ...oh, er, that means easy stampeding in either direction.
    Paul Schmidt

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my reading of MRH is similar to yours....ooohhhh....look, an add advertising scratch building parts! Oh, it is HO only....
    Modeling the Pacific Electric Playa Desnuda Branch in N Scale

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Bremner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,230 Times in 2,910 Posts
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just renewed my subscription to MR for another 2 years , yes , it's not as good as it used to be and getting thinner by the issue , but I still love reading it in bed , as I do RMC.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post: