Thread: Digitrax AR1 with a DC?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Digitrax AR1 with a DC?

Hi all,

Been looking around, and can't find the answer...
    might have missed it... if so, could someone post a link to the thread.

So, I have most of my track work finished, and most of the time, I will be using DCC.
    However, I have several older DC locos that I want to run.

Because I have an area that reverses, I installed an AR1 hardwired underneath... But, I just had a scary thought pop up. When I connect my DC controller to the layout, will that cause issues for the AR1? I don't want to fry the thing.
    Also, while asking.... Im using NCE's PowerCab, do I have to disconnect it from the wiring to prevent it from frying? (I was planning to anyways, but, if I ever forget, will it get fried?)

Thanks in advance to helping settle my fears!
    Kevin
    OK, I'll admit it, I suffer from ADOSS.
    {Attention Defic... Oooo, Something Shiny!}
    Safety First, Safety Always.
    ​DG&H MRRinN

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, here is an update and Answer, (I hope)

Thank you to everyone who checked this thread.. But, seems no one really knows the answer. *I didn't just ask here*
    Everyone seems to share my fear... So, after a few weeks of asking and searching, I decided to send a help request off to Digitrax....
    Here is my help request:

Hello Sirs and Madams,

I've been searching, and asking around for a few weeks now, and everyone seems to have the same response, "I just don't know, but, I share your fear."

So background details:
    * I have a short section of track on my layout where I require the use of an AR1,
    * I have a small N-scale Layout, (4'x7') Basically a Double main with a small yard.
    * I have a main bus (14awg stranded) under the layout, with feeders (24awg Solid core) to all areas.
    * The short section that I require the AR1 is isolated and have 2 drop feeders to the AR1, then connected to the Main Bus.
    * The AR1 is locate under the layout, located close to the spot of the isolation so that it will have as short of feeders (24awg) as possible. and connected to the main bus with as short of feeder (22awg) as possible.
    * The main bus terminates with power pole connectors, which I then connect to my control systems.
    * Most of the time, I will be operating with a DCC Control system.
    * However, my Ab-Fab locos are very old, *pre-dcc* And, I do not plan to convert them. *WAY too much of a "P.I.T.A"*
    **Thus, they need to be run with my DC controller.

So, here is my question and my fear: Will I fry the AR1 board if I connect my DC controller, without disconnecting it, or forget to disconnect it? Do I need to disconnect the AR1 whenever I run DC?Do I need to wire up a disconnect switch?
    If I do, which side of the AR1 board would I need to set up the disconnect on? Or would I need to isolated the AR1 board on both sides?

I know that the AR1 is not designed to work with DC, and I can accept that. I also accept that when I run DC that that section of my layout will be O.o.B. for DC locos. *I know that IF down the road I choose to run that section, I will be required to wire that up traditionally. That may or may not happen. Haven't decided.

So, please, Im looking forward to hearing back from you, and putting my fears to rest.

I just got a response from the help desk:

Hello Kevin,

The AR1 will not work with DC as you know. It *shouldn't* damage it if connected to DC.

Please note that all tickets are Administratively Closed after a response is made. If further communication is required, please reopen the ticket instead of creating a new one.

Your The Digitrax Help Desk Team,

So, I will connect it up, and see how things go, and will keep this updated if it works or if I need to replace a fried board!

OK, I'll admit it, I suffer from ADOSS.
    {Attention Defic... Oooo, Something Shiny!}
    Safety First, Safety Always.
    ​DG&H MRRinN

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DG&H MRRinN For This Useful Post: