Thread: Planning for new layout. CBQ interchange with...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Planning for new layout. CBQ interchange with...

Looking for critiques or advice on this initial drawing. My idea is 2 railroads on their own loop with an interchange between the two (not currently connected but connects on city side).
    The the top side of the scenic divider to be a city/industrial area with several industry spurs, lower to be more rural farm look with a grain elevator and maybe one other siding/spur on the rr1 line.

RR2 does not necessarily have to be a continuous loop track but I would like rr1 to have a continuous run whilst switching takes place off of the main. Wanting to avoid wiring for a reverse.
    Layout of course will be DCC.

Now dimensions. When I list these I am including the overlap, RR2 likely be elevated slightly above RR1.

RR1 territory is 36"x80"
    RR2 territory is 24"x88"

One railroad will be CBQ, yet to decide on the second. Locale is fictional but somewhere in the Midwest of course, time period somewhere between 1940-1970.

IMG_2169.JPG

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanB80 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,354 Times in 3,673 Posts
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The size you've given isn't much for creating an interchange between railroads at different elevations. A Granger Road like CBQ would be more likely to meet another railroad at grade, i.e. at a "diamonds" interchange.

RR1 has the potential for more generous curves, so I would suggest that this be CBQ, and make RR2 be a smaller short line like a Belt Line. With 24" of benchwork depth, you'll be forced to use curves of 11" radius or less, which could pose some challenges to certain equipment (especially passenger); a freight-only belt line or terminal line could run exclusively shorter switchers and 50' or shorter cars. RR1 on the other hand could host curves of 16" radius which would look a lot better with the likes of longer engines or cars.

One thing missing is a way to stage trains, i.e. park them out of sight so that it seems like they go somewhere rather than just around the loop. To that end, I think maybe you relegate the lower left portion of the RR2 territory to serve as a staging/fiddle yard, with a yard ladder that comes off of the tangent to the curve of the RR1 line. This means moving the left-end curve of RR1 a bit to the right, and it might also mean shifting the whole green peninsula a bit upwards, for the sake of creating staging track length. The farm scene can occupy the right portion of that peninsula, there's plenty of room, so that entire bottom left quadrant can be "off-layout", maybe even fit in a track or two for RR2 staging (really short but that's fine for a "short" line).

If you were wanting the elevation difference so that you can set two trains into independent orbits and just let them go, then crossings at grade would be a bit of a challenge, but maybe you could engineer some form of detection system so that one pauses to let the other pass, an automated speed reduction if approaching a signal that is not clear for the crossing. Having said that, though, with two crossings at grade like this, you'd run a real risk of gridlock, where two trains that are each too long end up blocking each other's progress. Hmm. May have to cogitate some more.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have made some revisions taking your comments into consideration. CBQ would be acting more like the local RR here though with all goods coming in via the interchange from RR2. I think the lines could be switched and RR2 could be CBQ and the now CBQ become the local line, I think that would make more sense.

The grade on the green RR line would be around 3 or 4%. Not too worried about 11" radius, that is huge compared to the 9 3/4" majority of scenic ridge I was working with before.

Industries to serve would be on the upper portion of the scenery divide (yet to be designed).

Designing your own instead of following a track plan really gives your brain a work out.

IMG_2170.JPG

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanB80 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really struggling with this whole designing of the layout. I do like the new idea of green road and want to stick with the way it comes around and down to the Red line but trying to incorporate that into the loop is a real challenge. After the cars are dropped off on the interchange track do they then need to go to a yard to be switched and sent to industries, or are they already sorted for the shortline to pick up when they arrive. Having to take them off to a yard takes up more real estate on the layout and I don't want to end up with something that looks like a table of track and ballast, BUT I want some good operations play that won't become boring very quickly.

Maybe moving the peninsula against the wall and creating a L shape layout as @WP&P suggested would be a better Idea than my current

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Track plan #3, yes if you look at this one you may think 'where does that extra room come from' but measurements and material permit it, there is also potential to build out into a U shape at a later date too.
    Now if anyone could tell me whether this looks like it will operate well that would be great, or suggest minor changes, great.
    I've been studying other layouts and some just look unoperable and really make no sense, I've taken elements that I can visualize working in my head and designed this plan. If feedback tells me this should run well I can move to planing it on a track planner to show me how the sizes will work out in the real world. The numbers and Y's represent the turnout sizes I anticipate to use in the locations marked.
    Main line has 2 industries or possibly a passenger station, with 4 more industries on the branch line. So train runs from staging -> industry 1&2 -> yard. Then branchline takes over, sorts cars and sends them on to industries 3-6.

So this gives me the continuous run that can run either freight or passenger and also the ability to do some switching with enough space to have the occasional second operator (kids/family that want to have a go)
    Engine facility at the end of the yard lead with 3 tracks for engines and cabooses. 2 inch elevation provides easier access to the staging and allows for a change in scenery and use of bridges. Backdrop to 'hide' staging but not sure how hidden to go with that until the track is laid.
    The yard uses two#4 turnouts, one more #4 turnout for the switcher track at the engine facility, all other turnouts are #6 to allow 6 axle trucks to run without problems. A #8 turnout to be used on the right end of the A/D track to allow passenger trains to run the loop at speed.
    I am not familiar with how sharp a Y turnout is but it should be fine on the branch line, the Y on the left end of the A/D track would be my only worry if I was running a passenger train at that higher speed than typical freight train so any input there would be appreciated too.

IMG_2175.JPG

Thank you for any feedback

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DanB80 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,235 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to tell on the hand drawn layout but a little concerned about the radius on those curves. Any thought to get this into track planning software to check it out?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dave68124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dave68124 View Post
    Hard to tell on the hand drawn layout but a little concerned about the radius on those curves. Any thought to get this into track planning software to check it out?
    Absolutely, I drew it up in anyrail today using the free version though so had to do it in two parts, had to make a couple changes but min radius is 11" which suits me as I shouldn't be running anything longer than 50' box cars.
    I did have to scale back the #8 turnout to a #6 and drop one of the double ended staging tracks in favor of a stub end. All turnouts will be hand thrown except the staging which will use remote.

These do fit together, as I built it in sections on the program, originally had the benchwork marked out too as I built but erased them after completion.

part1 forum.jpgpart2 forum.jpg

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DanB80 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,235 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. On your 2nd pic where you have the two bridges on your hand drawn, it looks like you have a bridge on what looks to be a pretty tight turn. Eye balling it, it might be a tough placement for bridges in that section. If you can squeeze it in, you might have an odd river run to accommodate the bridges that either looks unnatural or eats up a lot of space. I may be seeing more than what’s there, but the first thing I noticed on the hand drawn.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dave68124 View Post
    Thanks. On your 2nd pic where you have the two bridges on your hand drawn, it looks like you have a bridge on what looks to be a pretty tight turn. Eye balling it, it might be a tough placement for bridges in that section. If you can squeeze it in, you might have an odd river run to accommodate the bridges that either looks unnatural or eats up a lot of space. I may be seeing more than what’s there, but the first thing I noticed on the hand drawn.

Would definitely agree, the hand drawn and the digital don't quite match up at that point. The curve that you mention is an 11" with 19" either side, the bridge would benefit being moved though, both practically and visually. I plan to use Kato's 19" curved girder bridge(s) but want to check for alternate curved bridges first. The Bridge on the straight section will be a through truss (maybe deck truss on either side too if I like the look) so would like that one to be more of a focal point over my mini Mississippi than the bridge up front on the curve.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DanB80 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should have most of what I need coming in tomorrow to be able to lay down trackwork. Will be missing a couple turnouts that I had to order from another source but should still be able to lay the mainline down.
    Will hopefully pick up 4x8 1” insulation board and 2x8 2” board for the subroadbed (will have to cut it to fit in our small car) 1” should give me enough carvability for fairly flat midwestern scenery, was also hoping it would add sound dampening too being on top of holliwcore benchwork but my research tells me this stuff is more of an amplifier than dampener.

Still unsure of the road name to run on the short line but thinking of keeping it to CBQ switchers sw1500 or similar, hopefully I can fund some toward that from a few of my DC locos I currently have. If you have any suggestions of a short line road to run I am open to them.

keeping the scenery very generic midwest I hope to be able to run an inter mountain sd40-2 I’ve been eyeballing in a new roadname when it finally releases. Nothing to do with my CBQ plan it’s just one of those trains I want and wouldn’t look out of place to run it when I desire (other than era)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DanB80 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well you plan for what you think works for you but once you start laying it you see things you just didn't see in the CAD versions. 1' arrival/departure track just does't cut it once seeing it on the layout so I had to take a few hours to figure out what I was going to do to make this work for me.
    It took a lot of shifting track around again and again, looking up yard designs and how I could make it work and this is what I came up with.
    IMG_2184edit.jpg

Now the new design below, doesn't look like any yard I see online so please tell me it looks silly if you feel it does, or maybe you see a flaw that i don't but here its.

Green track is a much longer arrival/departure track.
    Red is the short line that leads to industries and also used to move cars from A/D to the yard
    Blue is the yard lead
    Purple leads to engine facility and caboose storage
    IMG_2186edit.jpg

So how prototypical isn't this design? More importantly, how impractical is this design?

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DanB80 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little bit of progress, Yard changed yet again but has now been set in place in its final form, 3 stub ended tracks with track 3 being the caboose track but also an overflow track. (The yard tracks are not actually curved along their entire length like this picture shows, they all straighten out in the final glued down version with the track closest the the main being shorter and the inside tracks longer)

IMG_2192 90.jpg

Have been playing with Ideas for the branch line, nothing stuck down here yet as its subject to change.
    IMG_2202 90.jpg

First spur the branchline comes to will be a rail served business, not sure what type of business, but it will be trapped inside a triangle between the rail tracks, a river and a road.
    IMG_2203 90.jpg

This second spur Is much longer but i may move the turnout to shorten it, this spur will likely be a grain elevator or fertilizer plant or some other business that recieves 3 bay ps-2 covered hoppers, not sure if I should ad a second industry to this spur too , I'm thinking the covered hoppers go down the end and then some type of box car or gondola receiving industry nearer the turnout.
    The branch then runs under the mainline into the unknown, If i can somehow fit another staging track on the end of the branch I am thinking perhaps a small coal mine or quarry is off layout and hoppers or ore cars occasionally come down the branch through the yard and onto the main.

IMG_2204 90.jpg

Below was some clearance testing being performed for the bridge build. The GP7 (currently for sale) stood in for the E5a as the layout is not wired up yet and its much easier to throw on a DC power pack on for testing purposes than setting up the NCE system. Have to say this little GP7 impressed me, haven't run it with the 5 zephyr cars before and it pulled them up that 4% grade (11"radius) like they weren't even there.
    IMG_2198.JPG

Other side of the layout also got some work done too but did not get any pictures, mostly roadbed and track laying. Being a little slow at this laying about 3 or 4 pieces of track at a time and then letting the glue cure whilst I decide where else I am going to stray from my planned design.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DanB80 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoying watching this. I don't have a layout yet myself, but am planning something for the future; this seems to be exactly the size that I have room for so I'll be very interested to see how it progresses. I find the track plan pretty interesting, I've been struggling to come up with my own. I'll be interested to see how this works out for you.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bobm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have done a little but more today, here is what I have been working on.

First off I mentioned the yard tracks not having the curve to them anymore, this is an updated picture of that. I am still considering adding a runaround to the inner most yard track.
    IMG_2220.JPG

Decided on how the branchline would be laid out, small business to the right that receives product via box cars.
    The lower left will be a freight depot for the small town which will receive a variety of product, considering adding a second track here to up the scale of the freight operation, may also be a spot for RPO to be set out and collected but not 100% sure on how that would work or how realistic that might be, still doing my research on RPO's.
    In the upper left is a runaround track and siding for covered hoppers at what will be a small local grain elevator (rear track). The second track that also runs under the bridge is the continuation of the branchline, this would be a great location for a cassette style staging opportunity if the corner permitted it (i.e. wasn't there)
    IMG_2219.JPG

Initially I had stuck this track down and as I was looking at it I could see an issue. I had planned to have a grade to give clearance under the bridge, more so for looks that practicality as its unlikely much will be this far down the line but had completely spaced it, so out came the putty knife and up came the track as I worked on creating a bit of a downgrade. Turned out alright I think.
    IMG_2218.JPG

And finally, the yard crew showed up today, needs a decoder bought for it but as I don't have my DCC system wired up yet I was able to have a play (cough)... test the trackwork with it.
    IMG_2222.JPG

As an additional note I have started a bit of wiring, by this I mean I've installed 3 feeders, 1 per district. When laying the track I installed insulated rail joiners to separate the mainline, branchline and yard to their own power districts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DanB80 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 366 Posts
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DanB80 View Post
    test the trackwork with it.
    Ah yes, the all essential track testing. I 'have' to spend hours testing my track. Just doesn't leave any time for play
    Thanks, Tom

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my first 3 micro trains rolling stock, they are a tad newer than the era I was shooting for so we are now spanning around 1940-1969 but that's what you call freelancing right?
    Anyhow I have been painting track and put a base layer of ballast in the yard, I plan to let it set up and then go over it with some dirt I baked in the oven a while back. Thinking that might give it a yardy look.

IMG_2228.jpg

Also needed some essential testing of the newly installed couplers on the F3, as well as testing the bus + feeder wiring that I have done on the branchline, so did some switching with the new cars and F3 unit around the branch after hooking up the NCE system.

IMG_2229.jpgIMG_2230.jpgIMG_2231.jpg

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DanB80 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been a while since I posted here, haven't done much to the layout at all however I have been working on a DPM Kit, not sure what it is to be yet and haven't figured out what detailing to add to it but regardless I am pretty proud of myself with how it turned out. Windows have some rough spots but they are so incredibly tedious to paint and when there are this many its quite draining on the patience.
    IMG_2243.jpg IMG_2244.jpg

I will say the 'mortar' detailing looks far more blended in person, I'm not sure if its the camera or lighting that makes it look very defined on the photo.

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DanB80 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking good! With a few added details, such as grain bins, it could be a malting plant in support of a brewery. Or, as is, a hops processing plant for pelletizing and liquid extract. Not that I have a particular focus....
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

33. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post: