Thread: Weyerhaeuser Hickton Division Layout Build Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 443 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Weyerhaeuser Hickton Division Layout Build Thread

Hi all, the time has come. If you've been following the misadventures of Adam you know that I'm selling off my collection. What you may not know is that I recently moved and will soon have a lot of time on my hands. So as I'm selling I'll be building a small 5'x2' layout.

Out of my collection I decided to keep the Logging stuffs since I can do more with less space (and it's so fragile it wouldn't survive being shipped if sold) so this will be the basis for the layout.

Now I'm originally from Brevard county FL, home of the Kennedy Space Center. In addition to having the cosmos at your fingertips entertainment, food, shopping was all within reach. The place I moved. Not so much. There isnt a traffic light for miles, we've got 1 dollar general as our premiere shopping destination and, above all, not a single hobby shop. So my layout is going to function as a sort of parody of my current situation. Thus the play on words for the layout name.

Now to get into the juicy stuffs:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/hGVyRZgo7RZPr2WY6
    This is the layout as it sits right now, a completely blank slate.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3qdSxqUoHdaZxgBP8
    The most recent rendition of the track plan. The saw mill area will be redone to make better use of the space

For this exact moment this is going to be our motive power:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/FRTGZGYjwLub4QJy5
    A former USATC Whitcomb, this Locomotive currently doesn't run due to an error with it's decoder. We will burn that bridge when we get to it.
    Eventually the layout's roster will consist of the Whitcomb, two MP15's, and an SW1500 in Weyerhaeuser paint. In addition an Alco C415 in BN paint will be present to drag cars from staging to the interchange and back. Until this plan comes to fruition expect to see various "lease" units operating on the layout.

Here's the current rolling stock roster:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/UAn7kB4dtQ4c7Ekw8
    Disregard the cluster of locomotives on the middle shelves. Although you might see the MRS-1 filling in for proper power from time to time. The rollingstock roster will grow in time but what I've got at least allows for operation.

Overall I'm trying a ton of new stuff here that's putting me out of my comfort zone so many questions will follow. I can rock a T-Trak module, a real layout I'm not sure about. I'll update when big things happen to keep everyone in the loop.
    Did someone say whitcomb?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Intermodalman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small update right off the bat.
    Jeff King just completed this for me:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/jAH7xrH16X6N6DNZ6
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/RXdcr2GoGpT819Bw6
    I've had this car for a while and finally got around to sending it off for paint. It'll be shipping tomorrow.

I also placed a few orders for track and supplies. I'll update when those arrive

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Intermodalman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The track plan has been ironed out:

Thanks to @SteveG6942 for all the help getting the track plan carved out

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,139 Times in 973 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How keen are you on having that track above and to the right of the sawmill? If you eliminated that track, you could have more room for a view block down the middle of the layout and help avoid the oval look. Check out Paul Schmidt's layout for how convincing a view block can be.

Of course, I guess it depends on how the layout sits in the room... After all, if you can't see both sides of the layout it's kind of a moot point and inconvenience to have a view block.
    "Do Not Hump!?!?! Does that mean what I think it means?!?"--Michelle Blanchard

"People saw wood and say nothing, but railroad men saw trains and say things that are better left unprinted."--Charles De Lano Hine

Down with UP

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ranulf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ranulf View Post
    How keen are you on having that track above and to the right of the sawmill? If you eliminated that track, you could have more room for a view block down the middle of the layout and help avoid the oval look. Check out Paul Schmidt's layout for how convincing a view block can be.
    The mill was built with operations in mind so I had to make some compromises. For sake of explanation lets number the tracks 1, 2, and 3 going from left to right. In theory a loaded log train would come in and cut it's cars right before the cross over. It would then grab the empties from track 3 which functions as the unloading track and move them to track one for momentary storage. Then it would return to the cross and grab the loaded cars and shove them into 3 for unloading. From there it would grab the empties from 1 and remove them from the mill. Track 2 functions as boxcar loading.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,479 Times in 3,724 Posts
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if you have operational justification for the track that @ranulf mentioned, it still seems like you might be able to tuck the two sawmill tracks closer to the engine servicing, and bring that spur more forward as well, to open up a bit of scenic separation between the sawmill and the log loading areas, which are presumably remote enough from one another to justify the rails and ties that connect them.

Are you hoping to one day incorporate this into a larger layout? If not, then I don't see a need for the tracks that run off the layout edges at the bottom corners, as distinct from the one labeled as Staging. I would be inclined to just have Staging bending around as you show it, and forgo the "connection" on that end, since the staging track is the effective connection.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    Even if you have operational justification for the track that @ranulf mentioned, it still seems like you might be able to tuck the two sawmill tracks closer to the engine servicing, and bring that spur more forward as well, to open up a bit of scenic separation between the sawmill and the log loading areas, which are presumably remote enough from one another to justify the rails and ties that connect them.

Are you hoping to one day incorporate this into a larger layout? If not, then I don't see a need for the tracks that run off the layout edges at the bottom corners, as distinct from the one labeled as Staging. I would be inclined to just have Staging bending around as you show it, and forgo the "connection" on that end, since the staging track is the effective connection.
    Now that you mention it that might be a good solution for the track in right field.

The two connection tracks in theory make the layout expandable, I'm not too keen on this goal but when it was originally suggested it made enough sense to do it. I'm still a little iffy on it because it creates the illusion of the track plan being a boring oval.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, first round of stuff came in:

And of course the custom log car:

Compared to a standard MT spine log car it looks incredibly sharp:

12. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Intermodalman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just ordered some 16 gauge speaker wire for the bus and 22 for the feeders. With that I should have everything I need minus the dcc system itself, I'm thinking NCE powercab. Anything obviously wrong with that choice?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intermodalman View Post
    Just ordered some 16 gauge speaker wire for the bus and 22 for the feeders. With that I should have everything I need minus the dcc system itself, I'm thinking NCE powercab. Anything obviously wrong with that choice?
    Just my opinion I’d go with 12 or 14 wag stranded wire for my buss and 22 wag stranded for feeders. That’s just me other people my differ but I’d rather have enough than to not have enough. You can get this off amazon https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Volt...1739666&sr=8-7 for the buss wire and this
    https://www.amazon.com/Stranded-Cond...GQWB5HJHTPBXBE
    off amazon for the feeder wires. You never know you might want to expand your layout in the future and you won’t have to worry about your wiring as it will be robust.

Just my 2 cents worth

Also I use NCE for my choice of DCC system great system and easy to use for me. As Others might say other wise but the best way to see what you like is possibly join a club that has both systems to use and get the one you like using most or easiest to understand.
    Life is Fragile. Live Everyday as if YOU Know Its Your Last.

You Only Live Once But If You Live It Right Once Is Enough.

20x20 Reggieville around the wall with peninsulas

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allmodernkatogottohaveit For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,880 Times in 2,073 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with allmodern ... I'd go with 16 gauge stranded for the bus but would use 22 gauge solid for the feeders. Only reason I go with solid for the feeders is (for me) it is easier to solder to the rails.

I second your choice for an NCE Powercab system too. User friendly and easily expandable if needed.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The log car is outstanding. Bark debris is spot on...and the chains.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rook For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, new stuffs came in:

This is almost the last of it, a few more packages and I should be good.

Now begs the question. What on Earth do I do now?

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Intermodalman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 498 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now begs the question. What on Earth do I do now?
    Ummm....start building??
    You've got your plan, you've got your layout board, You've got your track.....draw grids on your board, set how the track aligns to it. With foam you can lightly gouge the centreline to mark it. Prime or otherwise finish the surface, marking where the feeders shound come through. You have track underlay (and a tunnel portal?? rare in logging roads), attach it to the top and again see how the track position is. Wiring and test as you go.....
    Cheers,

Russ

CEO of Devil's Gate Mining Co.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,880 Times in 2,073 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mosslake View Post
    draw grids on your board, set how the track aligns to it
    Great idea Russ

Yep, what Russ said ... no sense letting what you have collect dust, right?
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mosslake View Post
    tunnel portal?? rare in logging roads
    staging is going to be hidden in the side of a hill so I figured BN dragging cars into the mysterious tunnel that goes nowhere from the interchange would work well

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 498 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BN dragging cars into the mysterious tunnel that goes nowhere from the interchange would work well
    Would work, maybe but not well, think of the surroundings, tunnels are expensive for a railroad to construct, would one be done just for a sawmill interchange?? nope. There are better options, tunnels aren't the only solution, not in the region you're modeling. Tall trees are an effective screen, other mill buildings, lots of things.
    And the cars don't have to actually move. The mill switcher spots the outbounds on the interchange track -just outside the mill boundry and......that's that. Those same cars form the inbounds in the next session or later the same session, they don't have to actually go anywhere...

Some photos for ideas
    https://www.railpictures.net/photo/534306/
    https://www.railpictures.net/photo/379011/
    https://www.railpictures.net/photo/315459/

Also have a look at this switching layout. I's based on the Hull-Oakes sawmill in Washington state. It's claim to fame was -until recently- still steam powered. Many of the Walthers sawmill series of structures are based on this mill.
    The track plan is simple and if it looks familiar, that's because it's an 'Inglenook' plan in real life and model...
    http://dawson-station.blogspot.com/2...published.html
    Cheers,

Russ

CEO of Devil's Gate Mining Co.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosslake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, today's stuffs came in:

Nothing too exciting, just some electronic components (sockets for the fuse bulbs, gator clips and some flux).

In semi-related news a few hours ago the #TeamTrees initiative was announced. In short it's a large YouTube content creator partnership with the Arbor Day Foundation to plant 20 million trees. I pitched in a couple of bucks, seemed appropriate considering the scope of my project. If you're enjoying the build so far considering pitching in a dollar or two at teamtrees.org

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Intermodalman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 453 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Intermodalman, I had to do a double take...

I thought you had bought a bottle of "Keester"!

:rofl:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,742 Times in 3,884 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StrasburgNut View Post
    @Intermodalman, I had to do a double take...

I thought you had bought a bottle of "Keester"!
    Wouldn't that have to be aged in the barrel for like at least 50 years?
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

"Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread