Thread: crossing signals

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default crossing signals

howdy. i bought a flasher unit to get my crossing signals to flash alternately. well im not having any luck. i did use two leds from something else and they worked pretty good. but i can not get my signal to flash. i can get one of them to light up both lights but not both and neither one will flash. help
    i should say that these crossing signals have three wires coming out 2 for power an 1 ground. help.?
    maybe not enough power. im running 12 volts dc to the flasher unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What model is that flasher unit? Those signals look like they are light bulbs. Are they bulbs or LEDs??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dunno if bulbs or led there very small n gauge maybe 1 inch tall at most. the board i got off flea bay PCB006 . i can only get one to light up but no flash if i hook up the other one it will light up but i have to disconnect the first one.. i tried using a power supply from a bachmann dc and still same thing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't really tell much from your picture.........on the 2 I have, the board has a left and right output, with a common ground. The lights had a red and black wire for each bulb/LED. So for a set of lights I wired the 2 left bulbs together and then to one channel of the board......then the same for the right side. All the black wires were wired together.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 919 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a manufacturer name or part number on the board? Did you buy it new from a distributor on ebay or used from a private seller?
    "Do Not Hump!?!?! Does that mean what I think it means?!?"--Michelle Blanchard

"People saw wood and say nothing, but railroad men saw trains and say things that are better left unprinted."--Charles De Lano Hine

Down with UP

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here is the one i bought off ebay . this is all i know............

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-Compact-Circuit-Board-Flasher-to-Flash-Crossing-Signals-Alternately-PCB006/263740564206?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649

MRLdave. ive wired it up a couple different ways and nothing but steady lights. now i have some other ones the have 3 lights green, orange, and red . those will flash when i hook them up. im stumped as to why these do not flash..

there are three wire from each crossing light 2 red wires and 1 black wire , each red wire will light up 1 side of them and when i connect them to a 6 volt battery they both will light up also i can connect both crossing lights to the 6 volt battery and they both light up..

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK First thing to find out is if the crossing signals are bulbs or if they are LED's. That's easy to figure out. You say you can hook up the crossing lights so they both light up? Hook it up that way, then try swapping the wires between the battery terminals... Turning the battery around so to speak. If it doesn't matter which way you have it hooked up and they still light up, they are bulbs. If they only light up when hooked up with the battery in one direction, they are LED's.

I am guessing the crossing signals are bulbs and your other lights are LED's, but that's just a guess.

"People saw wood and say nothing, but railroad men saw trains and say things that are better left unprinted."--Charles De Lano Hine

Down with UP

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,636 Times in 1,856 Posts
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    here is the one i bought off ebay . this is all i know............

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-Compact-Circuit-Board-Flasher-to-Flash-Crossing-Signals-Alternately-PCB006/263740564206?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649

MRLdave. ive wired it up a couple different ways and nothing but steady lights. now i have some other ones the have 3 lights green, orange, and red . those will flash when i hook them up. im stumped as to why these do not flash..

there are three wire from each crossing light 2 red wires and 1 black wire , each red wire will light up 1 side of them and when i connect them to a 6 volt battery they both will light up also i can connect both crossing lights to the 6 volt battery and they both light up..
    12 volts should more than enough.

It's just an inexpensive astable multivibrator circuit. So if you're using all LEDs as they show on the eBay listing and have the correct polarity with the LEDs, then I'm leaning toward one of those two electrolytic caps being bad.

The capacitors discharging and charging is what causes the oscillation of the lights; the frequency is determined by the cap size and the value of the resistor it's charging through. A bad cap won't charge.
    Paul Schmidt

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

sid

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thank you for that.... They are bulbs . i just hooked them up and then hooked them up the other way and they light up either way. so now what do i do with these. How would i get them to flash with them being bulbs.??? maybe i should put them back on flea bay .. now im sad i really wanted these to work...

Quote Originally Posted by ranulf View Post
    OK First thing to find out is if the crossing signals are bulbs or if they are LED's. That's easy to figure out. You say you can hook up the crossing lights so they both light up? Hook it up that way, then try swapping the wires between the battery terminals... Turning the battery around so to speak. If it doesn't matter which way you have it hooked up and they still light up, they are bulbs. If they only light up when hooked up with the battery in one direction, they are LED's.

I am guessing the crossing signals are bulbs and your other lights are LED's, but that's just a guess.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't sell too quick. You could probably add some diodes and make the circuit work with those crossbucks just fine

Down with UP

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ranulf For This Useful Post:

sid

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ranulf View Post
    Don't sell too quick. You could probably add some diodes and make the circuit work with those crossbucks just fine
    ya i really dont wanna do all that. i have 2 sets of these. so now ive got to figger out what ta do with them. i was hoping this would work.