Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My initial N scale 4 x 8 plan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m looking to find some advise on how to build the town and industries on my layout. I’ve looked at things like grain elevators, coal, paper, and logging. All of which look nice, however I only have room for a few of them. I have 3 siding areas. I also want to have a few homes and some commercial buildings in my town area. I’m not sure how well I’d do with mountains as I’ve never done it before so I’m not sure how well I would do with it. So I may stick with a more flat theme for my first layout. Any thoughts or suggestions on where I can look for ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ivan

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,370 Times in 1,532 Posts
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ivan,

Mountains are easy to create, very easy. My suggestion would be to get yourself some 2" thick project foam boards (Lowes for example). You can cut the foam boards in various shapes to fit the area you want a mountain or higher elevation. Layering the foam (obviously) generates the elevation. You could then cover the foam with Plaster of Paris (or similar) to form the terrain then cover that with ground cover etc.

To create a town, each structure will be (on average) 2 1/2" (W) X 3.0" (D). have a look at DPM (Woodlands) Kits and the size of their footprints. Once you have the various footprints you can work out how many structures you will have room for and where they might be placed. Don't forget to leave room for roads and footpaths

Houses can be scattered almost any where on the layout, they don't have to replicate a nice tidy suburban street

Industries are another matter all together as they vary greatly in size depending on what industry you will be modelling. However, the same principles as described above could be used to determine what industries you could include.

Once you decide on what structures you want, play around with them on the layout to see where they best fit and look. Using a "footprint" to get an idea is good; however, the "real mc coy" is always going to be better
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,656 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not into operations, but I would suggest one industry with supporting activities. For example, on my upcoming build I plan a brewery, supported by a Malzfabrik (barley malting house), and a hops pelletizing and extract production facility. This also gives me the opportunity to model barley harvesting and hops growing.

At any rate, the idea is that you have purpose for moving and exchanging cars between facilities.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, more planning, more glaring at the layout, then me pulling track, moving it around, playing with different track sizes to make it fit and I ended up with a slight change. Both passing turnouts were removed... I'll put one back in once I get two more turnouts in a few days. However now I have 4 spurs which will service industries. I think I'm going to go with farming, grain in particular. So I'll have a grain elevator, feed mill, maybe a flour mill on one, and I'll have a factory of sorts (maybe the barrel factory I saw online). Train station moved to other side of the layout by the yard. And seeing the feed mill is reverse of all my other spurs and I wanted cars in first I finished the crossover at the far end of the yard so I could have the switcher run around the cars to push them into the spur. I ordered some extra track, and feeders to accommodate for my changes, and since I have a station but no passenger train I am getting an Amtrak service to my town. The 5 year old really wanted one (I did too). So I think my layout has more purpose and function now. We are already having fun just moving cars around from spur to spur with our fake building footprints. Once I have my industry buildings setup I'll start putting down scenery and streets for my town. Then as I get money I'll add the building for the town.

Cheers,

Ivan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7038.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	106154Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7036.jpg 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	106155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7033.jpg 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	106156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7035.jpg 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	106157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7039.jpg 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	106158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7037.jpg 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	106159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7032.jpg 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	106160
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ivan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,370 Times in 1,532 Posts
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ivan,

Your track plan is coming together very nicely and it is good to see that you are not settling on the first thing you do. The more you play with things, the closer you will come to getting it the way you want; HOWEVER, don't fall into the trap of "over thinking" the plan and becoming frustrated with it all.

It wont matter how many times you make changes or how long you look at what you have, you will always find things to change through additions or deletions. Trust me, even when you settle on a plan and build it, a month or a year down the road, you'll wish you had have done some thing different. As has been frequently said - a layout is NEVER finished
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat457 View Post
    Your track plan is coming together very nicely and it is good to see that you are not settling on the first thing you do. The more you play with things, the closer you will come to getting it the way you want; HOWEVER, don't fall into the trap of "over thinking" the plan and becoming frustrated with it all.
    Thanks. And I agree, I'm sure I'll always want something to be different. My main goal was just to improve upon the initial design so the layout had more function. I now have some purpose built into it so we can move cars around the layout or just have the trains run. And in a few years when we move into our house (we are renting a home right now) I will have to make sure my house has a large basement or recreation room so I can build an even larger one next time.

Cheers,

Ivan

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivan For This Useful Post: