Thread: About freight wagons ....?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default About freight wagons ....?

Hi guys Iím new to all this and from England and donít really understand something basic about USA freight and that is Can any freight wagon end up on any rail road ??? I just donít understand the logistics of how freight from down south gets handles if itís travelling all the way to say Canada ?? I want to model Canadian Pacific n scale and want to know what freight wagons would be reasonable ... how to wagons get returned .. who organises all of this ... thanks in advance Von

Thanks
    Thanked 8,851 Times in 2,871 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The basic answer is YES. It would also depend on what era you're going to model.
    There are some specialized cars that won't cross the border I'm sure.

But The CP actually has trackage IN the US. They were also a parent company (or bought) to several US based railroads and now through mergers, actually own them and run on those tracks.
    The Little Rock Line blog

ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 419 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no expert on operations or anything but from what I understand if a customer in say NS territory orders a car load of product from a customer in CN territory CN will first see if there's a suitable NS car they can return to NS. If so it's sent to the customer, loaded and shipped. If not CN sends a suitable CN car (or a car they have leased) to the customer for loading and shipping. Then the process repeats on NS's side as they now have a CN car they must return.

Of course it's a MUCH more complex situation I've laid out if you dig (Pool service, per diem, leaser cars, patched cars) and I could be completely wrong about that first statement. I'm sure there's stipulations on any senario, in reality the best thing you can do if you want to be accurate would be to watch whatever train or railroad you're modeling and mimic that.

Or if you plan on operating get the generalized version of the rules and modify them to fit your situation. As far as operations go people usually find that you can only get so life like without it seeming like work.
    Did someone say whitcomb?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Intermodalman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,648 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complex topic. But unless a car is held in captive service, it can be interchanged anywhere as needed. Cars from Railroad X are not imprisoned on Railroad X, so to speak.

Here is the simplest scenario: Industry A in Florida calls railroad X which serves Industry A saying it has 50 loads of orange juice to ship to Distributor B. But Distributor B is located on Railroad F. So X arranges to have its cars spotted (as well as any suitable cars belonging to Railroad F that happen to be empty on Railroad X and are awaiting return) at Industry A for loading, picks them up and takes them as far as possible to Interchange Z, to avoid short-hauling itself and losing revenue. At the interchange, the cars are turned over to Railroad F for delivery. Railroad F might even interchange those cars one more time with terminal shortline switching railroad M for final delivery at Distributor B.

The empties (MTYs in our parlance), are sometimes requisitioned by Railroad F for loads going back toward Railroad X, apples for example, or are simply returned empty to Railroad X for the next cycle, or might get routed to Interchange Y for Railroad C to load and send back to Railroad X via Interchange D.

Told you it was complex, and that's a cliff notes version.

The next inevitable question is why locomotives from different and even competing companies are seen on each other's rails. Railroads go through seasonal traffic cycles, so will lease locomotives to other railroads during slow times. Or there are run-through agreements in which an entire train from one railroad will keep its power on, and a crew from the railroad with which the entire train was interchanged will take it to its termination. Hence, Canadian National unit oil trains with CN power on BNSF rails through Seattle, Wash.
    Paul Schmidt

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Von

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 371 Posts
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    I want to model Canadian Pacific n scale and want to know what freight wagons would be reasonable
    Hi Von, Welcome.

I've been through the same question with regards to my CP rollingstock. The best answer I could come up with was looking at photos on the net relating to the place and era that I model. It helped me make up more realistic trains.

What era do you intend to model ?
    Thanks, Tom

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Von

Thanks
    Thanked 7,644 Times in 4,430 Posts
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

SThe short answer is yes.

As long as a rail connection can be made, any car(wagon) can go anywhere there is compatible track. It is most evident in the supersized exchange yards like The Chicago Belt Line yard on the southwest side of Chicago. http://www2.beltrailway.com/
    Jointly owned by nearly a dozen railroad companies at one time, you could find cars and locomotives from almost anywhere in North America.

Given that, it is said that you could find cars from either the Pennsylvania RR or Santa Fe in every state but Hawaii during the heyday of those roads.

The system is such, that some tiny railroads have so many cars spread out, that if they all came home at the same time, they would have to be stacked five high to fit on the home tracks.
    Use what you know about the world to modelÖ
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,485 Times in 646 Posts
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The short answer absolutely is "Yes", as others have shouted out already. Cars (that conform to certain rules) can travel the entire NA rail network as far as clearance (Plate B to Plate F in use these days) and weight / axle load limits fit.

Longer answer: If you check the date list at http://www.hosam.com/grd/dates.html you will find a couple of "Banned from Interchange" statements. Best known example probably is 1982 - Boxcars / Reefers with roofwalks (basically anything that doesn't need them like covered hoppers do for opening the loading sills) banned from interchange. So a boxcar with roofwalk could still be used on its home road, but not move over to other railroads.

Also, these days many freight cars do not belong to the railroad but to a leasing company (TTX, CEFX, GACX...) so they basically don't have a home road.

Heiko

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Von

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Tom, not sure yet..the range of availability is much less here unless you buy direct from USA and pay the taxes.The only thing for sure at present is buy NEW, stay small ( even by UK standards !!), go slow...the exact opposite of my last venture in HO which ended out just stressing me out. Im really liking the N scale stuff Im seeing ..especially on youtube.thanks again to anyone that answered me.This forum feels really buzzing cheers Von

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 371 Posts
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Hi Tom, not sure yet..the range of availability is much less here unless you buy direct from USA and pay the taxes.
    You're better off than me, I live in France and half the UK ebay sellers won't ship overseas ! I end up buying whatever I can find cheap and repainting and lettering it. If you are interested in going down that route then I will recommend Black cat publishing for CP decals. Good luck with your project and do keep us posted.
    Thanks, Tom

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What era is important too, more for what type of cars you want to use. I'm originally from the UK but now live in British Columbia and used to live in Nova Scotia and I've seen cars and units from all over North America in both places. I even once saw a Rock Island boxcar in the late 2000s even though the Rock became defunct in 1980. Is there a location in Canada you are interested in Modelling.. its a big place after all and the regions are pretty different.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to grumbeast For This Useful Post: