Thread: Bashing UP #618 from A Bachman 2-8-0: Phase 2. RE-detailing the loco shell.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bashing UP #618 from A Bachman 2-8-0: Phase 2. RE-detailing the loco shell.

A few months back I posted the results of the first phase of my project to re-imagine a Bachmann 2-8-0 as U.P./O.S.L./H.V.R.R #618. Phase 1 was installing a Tsunami sound into a MP Vandy tender.

Late last summer I was able to obtain a spare 2-8-0 shell that had been stripped of most of its separate (not molded in) details... and I have been working (on and off) re-detailing it to more correctly match #618. This first pic summarizes the major changes needed to the factory shell:

19-Phase 2 and 3.jpg

The first step was removing the running boards, the original sand dome, and plugging all the holes. The running boards were a pain, because they were set into grooves in the shell, which needed to be filled in with styrene:

P8090003.jpg

P8090008.jpg

To plug the hole from the sand dome removal, I used a couple of pieces of brass tube to form an oval-shaped piece of styrene sheet... I clamped the styrene between the two pieces of brass tube, and plunged it into boiling water for about 30 seconds, then cooled it before releasing it from the tubing. I then glued the piece into place, filling gaps first with epoxy, then auto putty:

P8090010.jpg

P8140003.jpg

I turned new sand and steam domes from lengths of styrene rod turned in my Dremel. The domes were hollowed out, and packed with as much tungsten putty as would fit before gluing them on:

P9020055.jpg

P9020058.jpg

You might notice that the domes have some paint residue... the only way I found to ensure that the dome filet was sufficiently smooth was to paint the shell. So, before this pic, the shell had been painted and stripped a couple times, puttying and sanding in between, until I was satisfied.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to NDave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then, on to detailing. The goal is to make the loco resemble #618... it won't be perfect (the nitpicker in my can see a number of discrepancies). But it should have the general appearance of #618. Bell and generator came from a Bachmann 4-6-0 shell I had in my parts box (I broke the exhaust pipe off the generator, so will have to fix that). The airpump is from Bachmann parts. Number boards and class lights from Athearn (challenger parts), and the steam turret from Detail associates (I may end up making my own). Headlight was turned from styrene, and mounted to a cut down mounting bracket with number board from Bachmann. Handrail stanchions from Gold Medal Models...

PB090022.jpg

PB090016.jpg

I had a whistle from the 4-6-0 shell, but it squirted out of my tweezers, never to be seen again. Air tanks are brass rod... should add weight to the shell and improve tractive effort. I just hope they clear the running gear! If not, I'll have to re-think.

There are a few more things to add before I test fit to the shell, and then start painting... but I broke my last #80 drill bit, and am waiting for more from Micro-Mark. Stay tuned...
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to NDave For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,533 Posts
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is impressive Dave - VERY Impressive!
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,753 Times in 1,018 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent Dave! Hope to see it in April!
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 368 Posts
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@NDave Wow, That's looking really nice. I bow to your neat workmanship I know all too well the effort that it takes to get to where you have. I'm looking forward to seeing it sprayed up
    Thanks, Tom

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! Wonderful craftsmanship! Looking forward to seeing her all done and running!

(and I empathize with you about wee parts squirting out of the tweezers, I blame the nixies for catching them before they hit the floor and spiriting them away)

Dave