Thread: Powered Trucks for MT Passenger Cars?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,729 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Powered Trucks for MT Passenger Cars?

Something else I have wanted for a long time. Once upon a time you buy "pre-assembled" Powered Trucks now; however, it seems as though you have to make them from scratch.

So, the obvious question/s is/are:

How do you make non powered trucks powered?
    What is needed?
    Is it a difficult job?

Obviously, metal wheel sets are requirement Beyond that, I am at a loss. By the way, the reason I want "Powered Trucks" is to use them to power Passenger Cars (MT Heavy Weight Pullmans) and so I can remove the Rapido Easy Peezy system I have in place at the moment.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first problem I see is speed matching the engine to the car(s). Will the ame engine be used on the train?
    I imagine your talking about heavyweight cars with 6 wheel trucks?
    The first thing that comes to mind is seeing if a diesel mech can fit in a baggage car. Something like an SD70 or SD40 (in whatever varient you can get) that has 6 wheel trucks, minus the shell inside a baggage car shell. the truck sideframes modified to accept passenger sideframes or just paint them black and ignore them.
    Kato and Tomix/Tomitec make railcar chassis that could also work but their motors tend to be a bit faster than other makes of locomotives and i don't know how converting to DCC is with them...
    Cheers,

Russ

CEO of Devil's Gate Mining Co.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mosslake For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Russ but what I am referring to is just getting power from the track to use to power the lights in the various cars as opposed to having powered passenger cars
    Cheers Tony

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhhh....sorry, when you said powered trucks, I thought you were referring to a hidden drive unit. If the cars run as a fixed set, can you fit some AAA batteries in a baggage car?
    Otherwise some sort of wheel wiper setup. Your leaving the lighting units themselves inside, just replacing the wipers?
    Cheers,

Russ

CEO of Devil's Gate Mining Co.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mosslake For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I am planning is to use wipers off of the metal wheels/axles to power light sets I will make to fit the respective cars, mostly (if not all) the MT Pullman Heavy weights. It is how to make the wipers and connect the wires from the light set to them that has me puzzled
    Cheers Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 4,232 Times in 1,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I curious , what's wrong with the Rapid Easy Peasy lights in there already ?

Steve

9. The Following User Says Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 435 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All my Kato passenger cars have pickups built in that are very good and smooth rolling. Perhaps they sell the trucks separately on the parts site?

Andrew

11. The Following User Says Thank You to conrailandrew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 918 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As @conrailandrew suggested, Kato passenger cars do have trucks with power pickups, as do the Railsmith ( formerly Walthers ) cars, Broadway Limited P70 coaches, and every Bachmann passenger car I have ever seen. Most of these use 2 axle trucks.

Kato has at least two 3 axle trucks with power pickup. The Kato BM70M trucks from thier Broadway Limited sets are appropriate for some heavyweight cars ( it is the same truck micro trains tooled for their heavyweight dining cars ). This particular truck is out of stock at Kato.

Kato also produced 3 axle trucks that they have used on some UP cars ( for the excursion train and the COLA) and the Milwaukee Road Hiawatha ( at least for the dome ). I am not sure if these are the same truck, since I do not own any of the Milwaukee Road cars.

There are two issues with Kato trucks on an MTL heavyweight. First, all of the MTL heavyweight cars have offset bolsters on the trucks, but the Kato ones are centered. Second, Kato’s recent trucks ( for anything tooled since at least the Broadway Limited came out, and perhaps before ) use clip mounted trucks. This includes all of the 3 axle trucks.

I do know of one commercially available axle wiper system that you might be able to use:
    http://www.sbs4dcc.com/nscaleaxlewipers.html

I have not used any of these.

You are right about needing metal wheels and axles for this system to work. ( MTL’s metal wheels don’t work. They are metal wheels on a plastic axle ).
    For decoder installation and JMRI services, please visit http://www.bentraildigital.com
    For n-scale intermodal information, please visit http://nscaleintermodal.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pbender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 435 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used the SBS wheel pickup kit before, and I wasn't really impressed. The metal was too thick to flex freely, so it caused the wheels to drag along. If it was made with a very thin flexible metal, it would be perfect, but as is....

The axle pickup kit linked by Paul may be different, I don't know.
    Andrew

15. The Following User Says Thank You to conrailandrew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,715 Times in 4,459 Posts
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here is how I've done cabeese and cars...
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/album.php?albumid=439

This conversion uses any brand truck frame with one sided insulated metal wheel sets.

i have used old stock parts from Arnold/Rapido, the thin strips, strips of metal or even just solid wires wrapped around the axles and brass screw. For the metal strips I've used thin brass or soda can aluminum. Be sure to sand both sides of the soda can metal. They paint both inside and out, to prevent metal reactions. Make sure that all insulated wheels are on the same side. Otherwise you'll have a short. Each truck only gets power from one rail. Be sure to have the insulated wheels on opposite sides of each truck

Using Kato's trucks is a bear. Not only do you need to attach them but you need to cut slots for the metal tabs through the car floor. Then you need metal strips for power pickup. I only did it on my camera car for better power as each truck conducts from both rails.
    Use what you know about the world to model…
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoNW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pick-ups... see if a kato passenger truck can work.

a battery system like easy-peasy may be a good idea.

and there is always this method:
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...wheel-version)

I have put Kato wheelsets into the MT trucks.
    one has to be very careful of the metal car floor that MT so often uses...

victor

19. The Following User Says Thank You to victor miranda For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aflica View Post
    I curious , what's wrong with the Rapid Easy Peasy lights in there already ?

Steve
    Steve,

There isn't anything "wrong" with the easy peezy lights per se, I would just prefer to use track power if, for no other reason, than to save on having to replace batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by conrailandrew View Post
    All my Kato passenger cars have pickups built in that are very good and smooth rolling. Perhaps they sell the trucks separately on the parts site?

Andrew
    Thank you. I'll take a look at them as that would be the easiest solution, depending on the cost per truck if they can be bought.

Quote Originally Posted by pbender View Post
    As @conrailandrew suggested, Kato passenger cars do have trucks with power pickups, as do the Railsmith ( formerly Walthers ) cars, Broadway Limited P70 coaches, and every Bachmann passenger car I have ever seen. Most of these use 2 axle trucks.

Kato has at least two 3 axle trucks with power pickup. The Kato BM70M trucks from thier Broadway Limited sets are appropriate for some heavyweight cars ( it is the same truck micro trains tooled for their heavyweight dining cars ). This particular truck is out of stock at Kato.

Kato also produced 3 axle trucks that they have used on some UP cars ( for the excursion train and the COLA) and the Milwaukee Road Hiawatha ( at least for the dome ). I am not sure if these are the same truck, since I do not own any of the Milwaukee Road cars.

There are two issues with Kato trucks on an MTL heavyweight. First, all of the MTL heavyweight cars have offset bolsters on the trucks, but the Kato ones are centered. Second, Kato’s recent trucks ( for anything tooled since at least the Broadway Limited came out, and perhaps before ) use clip mounted trucks. This includes all of the 3 axle trucks.

I do know of one commercially available axle wiper system that you might be able to use:
    http://www.sbs4dcc.com/nscaleaxlewipers.html

I have not used any of these.

You are right about needing metal wheels and axles for this system to work. ( MTL’s metal wheels don’t work. They are metal wheels on a plastic axle ).
    Quote Originally Posted by conrailandrew View Post
    I've used the SBS wheel pickup kit before, and I wasn't really impressed. The metal was too thick to flex freely, so it caused the wheels to drag along. If it was made with a very thin flexible metal, it would be perfect, but as is....

The axle pickup kit linked by Paul may be different, I don't know.
    Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNW View Post
    Here is how I've done cabeese and cars...
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/album.php?albumid=439

This conversion uses any brand truck frame with one sided insulated metal wheel sets.

i have used old stock parts from Arnold/Rapido, the thin strips, strips of metal or even just solid wires wrapped around the axles and brass screw. For the metal strips I've used thin brass or soda can aluminum. Be sure to sand both sides of the soda can metal. They paint both inside and out, to prevent metal reactions. Make sure that all insulated wheels are on the same side. Otherwise you'll have a short. Each truck only gets power from one rail. Be sure to have the insulated wheels on opposite sides of each truck

Using Kato's trucks is a bear. Not only do you need to attach them but you need to cut slots for the metal tabs through the car floor. Then you need metal strips for power pickup. I only did it on my camera car for better power as each truck conducts from both rails.
    Quote Originally Posted by victor miranda View Post
    pick-ups... see if a kato passenger truck can work.

a battery system like easy-peasy may be a good idea.

and there is always this method:
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...wheel-version)

I have put Kato wheelsets into the MT trucks.
    one has to be very careful of the metal car floor that MT so often uses...

victor
    Thanks guys, you have given me a lot to think about. As mentioned above, the Kato trucks sound to be the quickest and easiest option at this point but will certainly look at the links that have been posted re making your own

As for the sbs stuff - well .... I contacted them (him) about his pre made powered trucks and got a fairly abrupt, unhelpful response so am not inclined to purchase anything from them any way.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys and I will take a look at everything that has been suggested

One other question, if I may - I have a Kato Amtrak set and from what I can tell, the trucks on them don't have powered pick ups for connecting interior lighting. I am I possibly not seeing something or, are the Kato trucks with power pickups only on certain cars?
    Cheers Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

non lighted Kato passenger cars...?
    the ones I know were sold by concor quite a while ago.
    can you share a photo?

If track power is required, start with fitting metal wheels.
    after that, options abound

victor

22. The Following User Says Thank You to victor miranda For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Victor,

I'll post a photo of the Kato Amtrak Cars I have. Chances are I am just not seeing something.

Okay, have just taken a look at the cars and they DO have the powered trucks, trucks with axle wipers. I need to look closer at things

All I need to now do is find the trucks (if available) and figure out how to connect the light board wiring I make to the Axle Wipers
    Cheers Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all the kato cars I have met with track pickups have metal strips in the floors.

Kato inserts a strip onto that to power the lighting circuit.

it is usually at one end...

you can solder a wire to the original strip and you have to be careful.

victor

25. The Following User Says Thank You to victor miranda For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Victor,

Thank you and I have been looking at the Kato Lighting Kits for the Kato Cars (Amtrak Super Liners) - it "seems to be" fairly straight forward. If I could adopt a similar set up for non Kato Cars, that would be an option; however, as Chicago pointed out, it could be a bit of a "bear" to do, especially for someone of my limited abilities where this sort of stuff is concerned.
    Cheers Tony

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While my preference for trucks and wheel sets is MT they don't make wheel sets with metal axles. I realize people have mentioned some Truck makes that are pre set for power; however, was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for wheel sets with metal axles?

I saw the Exact Rail made them but they seem to be out of stock every where, including Exact Rail. Also, for the life of me I can't recall if the MT Pullmans have 33" or 36" wheels?
    Cheers Tony