Thread: Can of worms

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Can of worms

I am recently in a conversation on the digitrax forum about the Zephyr controller. well this conservation blossomed into an idea on using detection, control devices and signalling on a hole other level. Just imagine having your DCC system full automated. The whole train is detected during movement because the computer knows the value of the whole layout. The EOT/caboose has a relay/decoder signalling the rear of the train. If a breakaway happened the computer will automatically stop the train and other trains to prevent a bigger disaster. I didn't want to post the link of the other conservation due to possible violations of the rules on this forum. It's easy to find off of their website. Anyway I think that I am on to something big.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,092 Times in 699 Posts
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'd be handy for single person layouts, the computer can run the trains to and from staging while the operator enjoys switching.
    Also a Unitram layout would be interesting too, something I'd thought about in the past with transponding decoders.
    Cheers,

Russ

CEO of Devil's Gate Mining Co.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mosslake For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mosslake View Post
    It'd be handy for single person layouts, the computer can run the trains to and from staging while the operator enjoys switching.
    Also a Unitram layout would be interesting too, something I'd thought about in the past with transponding decoders.

Yes it will really work good for single person layouts. Plus during club operations it will keep either stop slow or divert trains if there was a incident.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mosslake View Post
    So yes you and I are thinking on the right curve. This would be the whole point also. A single person can run a entire layout with multiple trains running either on the same track or in opposite directions with the computer controlling the distance sidings for passing trains and mainly for emergency situations during a breakaway or derailment. All would be needed is a DCC controller that can be USB'ed to a computer and a JMRI type program to know how long the train is and know the added value of the dimensions of the track.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MoPac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

isnt it bad enough we have robots building cars and consumer goods ?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sid For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,864 Times in 3,074 Posts
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might be good for some people; however, I am more of a "hands on" type and prefer to "control" my trains myself, to be (almost) fully involved with what is happening on my layout. As first said though, full, 100% automation might be good for some people who like to build their layouts then do nothing (or little) than sit back and watch trains go round.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like a pretty cool idea.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to josef86 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    isnt it bad enough we have robots building cars and consumer goods ?
    Just as bad as having a person who doesn't have the skills to do the job. Also it takes a person to have a skill level to operate and program the robots. Being efficient for products that are needed on a mass scale is also a time and money saving.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat457 View Post
    Might be good for some people; however, I am more of a "hands on" type and prefer to "control" my trains myself, to be (almost) fully involved with what is happening on my layout. As first said though, full, 100% automation might be good for some people who like to build their layouts then do nothing (or little) than sit back and watch trains go round.
    I am too for a hands on type. But if I decide to run multiple trains on my layout while I am doing switching operations. I would not have to constantly break my neck to look over the other side or behind me about a possible derailment or collision. Just imaging you are running multiple train to go round and they are doing their thing. While you are doing some switching operations. You pull out on the main worry free because the incoming trains will either take a siding or stop until you have cleared the line. Then they proceed.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MoPac For This Useful Post: