Thread: Help with new layout - Lagootee Junction v2

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help with new layout - Lagootee Junction v2

So, I've been playing with some old track for quite some time, doing some modeling, scenery etc. Reading alot here as well. Learned alot. Learned alot I don't know

My son was here over the weekend, and helped me build some nice benchwork. I've got a first draft of my plan, so feel free to rip it apart. An expert I'm not, a learner I am. This is with Kato track and designed in AnyRail.

I look forward to any advice, and thank you in advance!

Lagootee Junction v2.jpg

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Huglthings For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not that good with operations or larger layouts, but for what it's worth...

-Plenty of room and potential
    -Any reason why you don't stretch the yard at the bottom out, and let it take up all of the straight track along the bottom?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stretching the yard may very well happen. I do have a hard time visualizing distance in AnyRail, so I want to lay some track out and see how it looks. Plans are to have part of a small town there for the station.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Huglthings For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,185 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the two yard ladders, you are using left hand turnouts where right hand turnouts would eliminate some track bends. On the right side you have the same issue. Also, you could have another yard entry from the right, off of the "vertical" inside track.

The point about changing the turnouts is to avoid derailments. Shun those zigzags.

Interesting plan! I like it (even though it is not a double track main line)!
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the input! It is much nicer, and there's more parking room as well
    I'm assuming the yard entry from the right inside track is something like I've done here?Lagootee Junction v3.jpg

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Huglthings For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,185 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you move the left hand entry to both the upper and lower yards two tracks to the left, you can get longer sidings. You might even consider having a ladder using right hand turnouts on the right side of the upper yard. This would give you pull-through access to all tracks in that yard.

Just an idea. I don't know what use you plan for those tracks, so these ideas may all be counter-productive.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have any input on your track plan other than it looks great, long runs for long trains!

I *love* the town names - Oolitic, loogootee, gnaw bone, bean blossom - what great names!!! And (of course, as you know) they really exist!

Hope you make some signs so visitors can see all the cool names, you know, along the lines of:
    Oolitic.jpg

Dave

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 56Pontiac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,448 Times in 3,705 Posts
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are some comments I have:

First, regarding the yard, you have two very short A/D tracks, which will constrain the length of your trains. The connection on the right end should be done differently, to allow the A/D tracks to be as long as possible, since this is a big layout that can handle longer trains. I put little "L" for Left and "R" for Right-hand turnouts, since it can be hard to read the scribbling, and I moved the double crossovers ("2X") to the yard limits left and right. The double crossovers allow trains to access the yard's A/D tracks from either direction and from either main.

Second, I configured the yard ladder at the A/D turnouts to allow for there to be a Drill track - this is where the yard switcher will drag cars off of the A/D tracks in order to shuffle them into the stub sorting tracks. I also indicate a potential Engine Servicing area if you want to add a Left-hand turnout at the top of the yard ladder. You could even go a bit further and build in a runaround, if you look at the diagram of an idealized yard ladder. If you want to get yard tracks that are more closely spaced, you may need to use #4 turnouts, and/or use some other brand of track for the yard... the Kato #6 turnouts leave big gaps between adjacent yard tracks. But yard track spacing is mostly an aesthetic thing (unless maybe you want to cram in as many tracks as possible).

Third, since your layout title has "Junction" in the name, it seems like the biggest thing missing is an actual Junction! The wiggling track at Bean Blossom/Nashville seemed like it makes the most sense as a fake junction, and I show moving it downward slightly. The third track through Gnaw Bone makes more sense in this case as it is acting as though it is the interchange track. However, I didn't add in any crossovers to connect that third track to the two others, simply because doing so would create a reversing section and hence require careful wiring. If you're willing to take on the wiring challenge, though, a set of single crossovers to tie mains 3 and 2 together (main 1 being the track closest to the front) would really sell the concept of this being an active interchange/junction.

Fourth, I suggest splicing in a bridge in the corner (at Bean Blossom) so that it can look like the front mains are following a stream course. I show one bridge moved to the very front, on the dead junction track, where it could be cut to match that angle. Incidentally, the junction is made by adding in two Left-hand turnouts and some 45-degree crossings.

Finally, up near Camp Roberts you have a potential for trouble with S-curvature, but it seems like you have broad enough curves there that you could reduce the radius slightly and open up space to fit in a straight piece of 4" to 6" in length. It's not a good idea to have opposite curves connect directly to each other, as longer cars could tend to derail at the transition.

I'm just scribbling, I'm not working with the rigid geometry of Unitrack pieces, so hopefully this is helpful and not frustrating! I'm used to designing for flex track. What are your thoughts?

ForHuglthings-112119.jpg

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 462 Posts
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    Here are some comments I have:
    Nice analysis.

You didn't do me a write up like that for my Mars layout !!! I'm still fretting about the length of my A&D and whether I should have gone for a tighter radius track ?

Seriously though, good insight.
    Thanks, Tom

Expect nothing except the opposite of what you expect, and then expect it to be something other than that ! Then that's about what it will be

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,448 Times in 3,705 Posts
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tomcook View Post
    You didn't do me a write up like that for my Mars layout !!!
    That's because your track plan was utterly perfect, nothing to critique. Yours has to be the very best Mars-based layout that I've ever seen.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I've made some adjustments....moved both double crossovers; added some space to the A/D tracks, added a drill track, and fixed Camp Roberts. I think what you're seeing as bridges are actually guarded crossings on the roads coming through, and out of the area. The junction makes sense, I just need to think that one through. Thanks for the advice - I think it looks much better!!!
    Lagootee Junction v4.jpg
    Last edited by Huglthings; 22nd Nov 2019 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Formatting

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Huglthings For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There will definitely be some signs!!! This area where all of these towns/places are is one of my all-time favorites. The names help of course, but it's small town USA not too far from the real world. Makes a great modeling scenario because you'll see everything from the early 50's to present in vehicles, layout, structures and roads.

Quote Originally Posted by 56Pontiac View Post
    I don't have any input on your track plan other than it looks great, long runs for long trains!

I *love* the town names - Oolitic, loogootee, gnaw bone, bean blossom - what great names!!! And (of course, as you know) they really exist!

Hope you make some signs so visitors can see all the cool names, you know, along the lines of:
    Oolitic.jpg

Dave