Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,816 Times in 1,896 Posts
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    Looks great! And the secret sauce is....?
    Yes, please share. Concrete comes in many grayish-tan hues, but the "perfect" hue always seems so elusive.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    Yes, please share. Concrete comes in many grayish-tan hues, but the "perfect" hue always seems so elusive.
    I started with a plain sheet of styrene. I scored it with the back side of a hobby knife to create the 10x10 scale feet conrete slabs. Then I hit it with a coat of automotive plastic primer. As it turned out, that slightly attacks the styrene and creates a bit of surface texture and occasionally tiny potholes and what looks like crumbling edges of the slabs. This also takes some time to develop, so wait a bit before applying another layer of primer. The primer softens the styrene quite a bit and it takes about an hour before the styrene has hardened back to it's normal state.

After that I airbrushed a base color of Tamiya Sky Grey and Buff. I'm guessing it was a ratio of around 5:1 Sky Grey to Buff. The Buff makes the Sky Grey warmer and gives the mix a nice yellowish hue. After that a layer of Montana Matte Varnish followed by a wash of Warm Grey oil paint. The wash turned out way to dark and the result looked way too dirty for my liking.

So I applied the varnish again and then a wash of dilluted cold gray followed by varnish and then another wash of cold gray mixed with a bit of titanium white to lighten up the color again.

Then varnish and a thin wash of raw umbra to get back to a warmer color tone followed by yet another layer of varnish.

Then I "painted" everything with just the turpentine oil and then carfully applied warm gray into the gaps between the concrete slabs. That of course covered a bit more than just the gaps so I immediatly started to move the paint around (and away where neccessary) with a deerfoot brush with just a bit of the thinner.

After sealing that with varnish I noticed that some of the scores had somehow "healed" at this point, so I had to redo those and then I repeated the previous step where required.

Then varnish, a bit of powdered dark grey chalks for the tire marks and finally varnish again.

The oils take some time to dry so the whole ordeal took about four days even though each layer doesn't take a lot of time.

In hindsight I should have just jumped from the airbrush layer to the carefully applying warm gray into the slab seams and pot holes step. Next time I guess

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to orvio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 576 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figured yellow could be part of the key
    Well done, Sir. Well done.
    nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 552 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What brand/type of automotive plastic primer did you use? I'm assuming from a spray can?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    What brand/type of automotive plastic primer did you use? I'm assuming from a spray can?
    The link is probably not super useful to you, because it's a german product, but here it is:
    https://www.obi.de/grundier-sprays/o...0-ml/p/9930918

The description states that it contains Xylol. Some reviewers complained that it attacks styrofoam (= (poly)styrene foam), so that might be something to look for when shopping. I originally bought it to help paint stick to 2" PVC piping.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to orvio For This Useful Post: