Thread: Back in the game!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Back in the game!

Good morning Ladies? and Gents!

I haven't been around in a few years. Had a large dedicated room in my old house for my Kato Unitrack layout, but had to tear it all out when we moved. Fast-forward 5 years and I want to get started again with the traditional 8x4 mobile layout.

I was spoiled with space on the last one and had all the correct grading, easements, and "realism", but I think I'm ditching all that now for a more "fun" layout with steeper grades, tunnels, and a good mix of switching and scenery, if possible. I know I'm asking a lot, and I'll probably have to ditch my Big Boys and streamliners for some logging industry and maybe an Industrial Era "tourist" train a la Durango and Silverton NG.

What I'd like to ask you all is if there are some good 8x4 layouts here on the site that you all might be able to point me to to give me some ideas on beginning my design.

Also, I just realized (working with Railmodeller as I'm a Mac guy (sorry!)) that in order to get one track under the other (2") I'll have to work with a 10-13% grade?! Nuts! But okay?

Open to all comments. Good to see all the familiar OG names on here still. Thanks in advance!

-CWJ

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C.W. Johnson R.R. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,441 Times in 4,851 Posts
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@C.W. Johnson R.R.

Moose welcome you back to the greatest wee n-scale forum in the world!
    = >

~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..." "Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Moose! Your Pacific NW layout was one of the inspirations of my last one. Very similar benchwork and basic design!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to C.W. Johnson R.R. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,441 Times in 4,851 Posts
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@C.W. Johnson R.R.

Whoa! Moose's layout inspired you? Moose is humbled... Not sure what to say, but am very happy to read this... ... Now get to work on your new layout!

Oh, the Download section of the forum has some layout ideas. Perhaps those would help?

https://www.nscale.net/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=2
    = >

~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..." "Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,021 Times in 2,210 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, CWJ! I've got a small (48" x 114") layout that at one point has an 8% grade with a 220 bend on a 10" radius. My short trains - not more than 4 units - have no trouble with this section of track. Even so, I would recommend testing the pulling power of your engine before building a 10-12% grade.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow Gato! This layout is legen...wait for it...dary! Thanks for chiming in! This is exactly what I'm looking for! I even had the idea for a small hidden yard, so I'm happy to see how you did exactly that. Much appreciated, and I'm sure I'll have some questions for you as I move along.

- - - Updated - - -

Perfect Moose! I knew there had to be a place like that here. Thanks a bunch!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C.W. Johnson R.R. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,452 Posts
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome back! I think I recognize the screen name.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,175 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by C.W. Johnson R.R. View Post
    Also, I just realized (working with Railmodeller as I'm a Mac guy (sorry!)) that in order to get one track under the other (2") I'll have to work with a 10-13% grade?! Nuts! But okay?
    I would look into that a little bit. For a 2% grade, you would need 100 inches of horizontal distance to raise 2 inches (slope is defined as "rise over run"). Roughly speaking, that's the long side of your proposed layout, or the curve around the short side and part of the long side... Point is, you have the space for a more gentle slope, you just need to let that slope continue for far enough. To get a 10% grade that's trying to raise two inches over 20 inches of horizontal travel... yeah, that's pretty steep. The complicating part is turnouts should be flat if at all possible, so you need enough run in between any turnouts for the climb, and enough run in between any turnouts for the decent. It's very possible to do that in your proposed 4x8 space though.

Very steep grades can work in certain situations (as with el Gato Gordo's layout) such as a branch line that comes off of your relatively flat main line and climbs up into the hills. But if that's on your mainline, it will be pretty limiting.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,021 Times in 2,210 Posts
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me clarify @OTFan's comment about turnouts needing to be flat. You can have turnouts on a grade just so long as there is no change of grade on any track within about 4 or 5 inches of the turnout on any track. Changes of grade near a turnout will cause endless frustration with derailments and shorts.

It took years of fiddling for me to correct problems with the turnout leading to my brewery on the upper deck of my layout. Lesson learned the hard way.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,541 Times in 3,239 Posts
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CWJ -

One other thing to consider with your grade ... although not ideal, you can get away with having 1.75" clearances depending on what rolling stock you want to run. Double Stacks or Auto-racks might not like it but everything else should.

Also, as Gordon said, you can have a turnout on a grade, your grades don't have to be calculated "between the turnouts" but can incorporate a grade. The essential thing is the turnout is laid "level with the grade" as opposed to be laying "flat" and whatever the grade is the turnout is on continues beyond it and exists prior to it.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

19. The Following User Says Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 511 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome back!!
    Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
    - and -
    USAF Lt Col (Ret)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Herc Driver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turns out I had the settings on Railmodeller wrong. I'm between 1.5 and 2.5%

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C.W. Johnson R.R. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,452 Posts
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.W. Johnson R.R. View Post
    Turns out I had the settings on Railmodeller wrong. I'm between 1.5 and 2.5%
    Well, that's a whole lot better!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to The Ol' Curmudgeon For This Useful Post: