Thread: Architectural Modeling Books-Are they worth getting?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Architectural Modeling Books-Are they worth getting?

Hey everyone, I looked at a few modeling books on Amazon geared towards architecture students. Has anyone bought one that was pretty useful on information that can be applied to n scale? It seems there is enough info on laser cutters and technique videos on youtube to make them somewhat obsolete?

Also I want to get Dean Freyman's book on industrial modeling, how useful is it for urban modeling since it is somewhat pricey.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to antaresmachine For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having come from an architectural model making background, let me offer my 2 cents.

What is your goal? To design and create original designs? I don't believe a book would offer much for this hobby other than any intrinsic interest of architectural knowledge. Not trying to sound standoffish. I have built hundreds of modeled buildings (from blueprints/plans, etc) without knowing much about actual architecture. Have also built quite a few engineering/industrial models without any practical knowledge other than reading and visualizing a 2D plan to render a 3D model.

Save yourself the money. We can build structures that will satisfy our model railroad needs without the need to understand the engineering behind real structures. I would never stop someone who is looking to further educate themselves but it is not a necessity for most of our purposes.

Also, I like Dean Freytag. A big fan of his contributions to this hobby. But his book, The Cyclopedia of Industrial Modeling, was a bit of a disappointment, IMHO. It is not worth the cost.
    I might pull it out and re-evaluate. Forgot I had it. Will get back on this.

Edit: Admittedly, bought $75+ worth of technical books trying to understand oil refining processes for a refinery module. Other than a few pictures, not helping me at all...
    Last edited by Jugtown Modeler; 5th Jan 2020 at 08:44 PM.
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,366 Times in 2,411 Posts
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antaresmachine View Post
    I want to get Dean Freyman's book on industrial modeling
    Otherwise known as Dean Freytag. ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my books.

I probably spend more then I should on books for the hobby, but I find books to be much more enjoyable then the internet. I find a quick reference in a book is different then a google search. For the right price I think there is nothing wrong with getting a few books.

Its also nice to get information in a single direction, the internet "as I type this" tends to be more of a negotiation when it comes to information.
    Modeling Steel in N scale

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bessemer Bob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's really interesting, your architectural models look great, very neat looking. I'd love to hear more about your professional experience, model making as a profession has always interested me. I want to design original buildings and also copy existing architecture for the most part to get the look I want. Many of the building kits like the DPM buildings are great but I'd like to throw in contemorary modern buildings that aren't tomytec.

I think I know some of the basic building concepts with styrene scratch building but I guess it's hard for me to dive in. I am an ok modeler in blender, and have played around with sketchup and have used solidworks. Automating the process through laser cutting or milling also appeals to me to avoid lopsided window openings haha.

l'll hold off on the Industrial modeling book for now then. I have the evergreen plastics book which has a lot of good info on all aspects of model making so I'll refer to that as well.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, my evergreen plastics book on model making techniques is a great resource. I tend to forget a lot of the weathering tips so I go back and read from the source. I like the single direction advice good too haha.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Antaresmachine,

Rather than purchase new architectural books...go to the library surplus book sales.

They usually have annual disposal of the books that haven't been checked out for $N per bag.

It takes some digging, but you can find period pictures(buildings, vehicles, clothing, etc.) that may be useful for modeling.
    Happy Modeling

Bruce

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BruceNscale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great suggestion, I actually checked out an old book on architecural model making some years ago, wonder if they still have it. I'll have to check their store as I don't browse it much.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,368 Times in 781 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a list of architectural model making for purchase that can be used as a reference:
    http://taylormademodelmakers.com/blo...elmaking-books
    https://www.modelmakers.org/books

Some of these have reviews here
    https://archidose.blogspot.com/2011/...on-models.html

Architectural Model Making Guide:
    https://www.firstinarchitecture.co.u...ing-the-guide/
    https://www.arch2o.com/architecture-...omplete-guide/
    https://www.rjmodels.com.hk/architectural-models-guide/

Some of these could be available at your local library or through inter-library loans
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlibrary_loan

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotian_Huntress For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smacking myself....

I try to read posts multiple times due to an innate ability to misread and assume what I "think" I see....
    I have followed this post and thought I took time to comprehend the original query... before interpreting wrongly...
    BUT, I somehow still missed the point.
    Instead, somehow read "architectural" books only and missed the word "modeling". So much for reading comprehension!
    Apologies.

I am amending my comments in the above post in #2. (Although, I stand by the thought that you don't need "architectural" books.)

BUT, "modeling" books can certainly come in handy when and if you can find them without spending too much. A good library, as mentioned, would be a great place to start.
    As you have surmised, there is a lot of great content online and importantly, right here on this forum. There are some fine modelers here that are creative and innovative.

Learning by doing is probably the greatest teacher. I once walked into a wood carvers shop and asked how I could learn his craft. The artist responded, " Once you fill this (large) room with wood shavings, you will have mastered the process."

Don't underestimate mistakes. A modeling veteran that mentored me early on expressed the thought that it is not about creating the perfect model, it is how well we overcome and hide the mistakes we made. (something tho that effect)
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kpf.jpgThe best book ever on architectural models...(not model making)...it has inspired and encouraged me for YEARS....I love this great book, for sale cheaply on E bay,....
    greg

19. The Following User Says Thank You to perth45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greg, does this book provide instruction on how they made the models, struggling to find a description on what is in it.

Edit: I searched the ISBN number, mostly for reference I see. I might pick up a copy.