Thread: Increased min radius for plan N16 Atlantic Longhaul Lines?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Increased min radius for plan N16 Atlantic Longhaul Lines?

Greetings,
    Just found this site & would like to take up modeling after a 55 year hiatus from HO.
    Have accrued a slew of N Scale rolling stock over the years and a very recent NCE Power Cab starter kit.
    Although, all of the present locomotives are pre-DCC.

I would like like to jump back in and build a simplified 11 or 15 min radius version of the N16 Atlantic Longhaul Lines track plan....if it could fit. Less curvedvpassing sidings maybe?
    Sorry I have not supplied a link or picture.

Have any of you folks seen or heard of this plan being modified to eliminate the 9.75R curves?
    Its a 4x8 with a notch out in the middle. Folded over waterwings design style?
    Sometimes known as N107 I believe.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,609 Times in 600 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to nscale.net.

I have no experience with this plan, but there are layout design programs that you can use to design what you want out of sectional track. See https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...-for-benchwork

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,496 Times in 3,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you'd need to scale up the overall plan to make that work, and as it is, it is a 4'x8' plan with the operator notch so that reach ranges are all within 24", assuming you have access on three sides (the top 8' side could be against a wall). That's about the normal maximum reach that folks are likely to recommend. If you just purely scale it up by 125% you would have a 5'x10' footprint and reach ranges near 30", which is getting tough but still doable I suppose. That would increase the 9.75" radius up to 12.188", and with some tweaking based on turnout placements and such I bet you could get some curves up into 13" to 15" range.

If the limit to your available space is 4'x8', then another option would be to go hunt for a decent HO 4x8 plan and just do that in N instead. Those plans will likely have 18" as their minimum radius, which is very comfortable for N. You would probably be able to fit in a bit more, like making an industry spur be two tracks rather than one. Also, if you can find an HO plan for 5'x10' then you could scale that one down by 80%, making the 18" HO curves into 14.4" curves for N.

Of course a final option might be to take the time to develop your own track plan, perhaps using one of these as inspiration but not trying to mimic it exactly.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

Thanks
    Thanked 7,833 Times in 4,494 Posts
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I second WP&P suggested methods.
    Use what you know about the world to model
    Learn from modeling what you don't know about the real world.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you the advice gentleman!
    Would like to try reposition the loops, remove some of the curved passing sidings to allow for increased 12”-15” radius while retaining the operator notch.
    Thanks again.