Thread: First Layout(s) - N scale micro

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Icon7 First Layout(s) - N scale micro

Hi There!

I just wanted to introduce myself and my first real attempts at model railroading.

I rekindled my interest in the hobby almost 3 years ago for the first time since childhood/early adolescence. I finally decided to bite the
    bullet and ease my way into it slowly with lots of research, careful purchases, and a few plans for small 'skill building' projects.
    I live in a small apartment with no dedicated space for a layout of any kind, but I couldn't resist the temptation to get involved by creating something.

My most current project is a micro layout with the footprint of an A3 sheet of paper 420 x 297mm or 16.5 x 11.7") with 117mm (4 5/8") curves.
    Its more of a diorama where I can practice techniques as I have no experience with ballasting, scenery building, weathering, ground cover,
    vegetation, etc. Its a freelance project based around the Carbon County Utah coal mining scene in the 70s/80s. The scenery will be quite
    vertical with mountains and a tunnel and will hopefully convey the look and feel of that region's desert canyon landscape.

My other project has been shelved for more than 6 months due to my lack of space, but its a 134cm (4.4ft) modular switching layout that
    folds in the middle for easy storage. Its built around the inglenook concept but with a runaround and an extra industry spur for a bit more
    operational variety. I'm still pretty enthusiastic about this one but I'm happy to sideline it for now.

I'm not yet sure how to attach images yet (I don't think I have permission yet), but I have uploaded fairly comprehensive video of my projects
    to youtube:

micro:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKF4Co_gWZE

switching module:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCA_9FUBptg

I would be happy to hear what you guys have to say or think about these, or if you have any ideas or advice. I haven't really reached out to
    anybody about my hobby (I've been completely lone wolfing it. haha) and I've never been actively involved in any kind of forum to a large
    degree.

Anyways, pleased to meet you and happy modelling!
    Last edited by Marlin; 12th Feb 2020 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Deleted weird codes that appeared after posting.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Marlin For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,903 Times in 2,078 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Marlin

Welcome to the Forums and to the Hobby and nope, you wont be able to upload pictures until you have at least 10 posts registered which doesn't take long

Good to see another Aussie here also
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

Thanks
    Thanked 13,762 Times in 3,886 Posts
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Marlin

Moose bid you hearty welcome to the greatest wee n-scale forum on the interweb!

Ummm, that's a tiny layout ... it's so cute!

Please feel free to introduce yerself on this thread as well...
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

"Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,081 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard! The switching layout looks fun, as does the itty bitty thing!

Enjoy!
    Northern Pacific and Black Hills RR in N, of course!!
    Aian, CEO, COO, Engineer, Gopher and everything else!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the welcome guys! And also for the kind feedback!

I will be sure to introduce myself on the new members thread too!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,497 Times in 3,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the micro layout, will you be adding in a turnout (or a fake turnout) to connect the tipple spur?

The switching layout looks great, I love the idea for the hinges under the removable overpass. For my N-Trak module I have a similar removable bridge, though I only remove it to protect it during transport. I keep that bridge aligned with its supporting abutments by means of tabs that fit down into slots on the abutments. Your bridge appear to be loose, but I think you'll find that you need to control its positioning better when you start doing scenery.

One the far end(s) of the folding wings, you could perhaps add a building or two that acts like a support pillar. Otherwise you might find that over time the plywood begins to sag, creating an unintended gradient. You could have two buildings with roofs that meet up when folded, or maybe it's one building with a flat roof that meets up with some other scenery feature (a smaller feature since the flat roof would be likely to have a parapet around it). Or you could even cut the tall grain silos in half! So that you only remove the top half, the bottom half stays affixed to the layout. All that would take would be a confident horizontal slice, then glue in some tabs to the interior of the top half. Since the plastic wall of the top is the same dimension as the bottom, whatever tab you glue to that interior face will be a perfect fit for the bottom. Besides, having it permanently mounted will make it that much easier to bring the scenery right up to it.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi WP&P! Thank you for your kind feedback and suggestions!

The micro layout has a turnout to the tipple spur now. I was still waiting for it in the mail when I posted. Only Kato's smallest would fit, with a 150mm / 6" diverging curve!

For the overpass bridge on the switching layout I cut the inside beams to allow the bridge to fit flush over the hinges so they aren't visible from the outside. This also locks the bridge in place, as you have to lift the bridge up to remove it. Tabs in the bridge and slots in the abutments are a great idea though!

When the layout is folded I use a block of wood cut to the exact length of the distance between the two sections to prevent warping. I was pretty worried about warpage when I started the project, even though the plywood is 18mm thick. No issues so far thankfully but I am still working on a more permanent solution for support when in storage. I never thought about cutting the silo and using the bottom half as a support! That is an excellent idea! I was actually thinking about keeping the silos removable and permanently attaching a support block underneath it. Unfortunately the tracks on the opposite section line up directly underneath the silo and they would have to rest upon the support. I doubt it would present any issues though!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome to the forum @Marlin. As wombat457 said. glad to see another Aussie in the group. If your in the area, I will be displaying my layout this year. first one for 2020 will be diamond creek. If you want to catch up, send me a pm. Ill introduce you to some of my Model Railroading friends too
    Shannon

1100 x 2100 (3'7" x 6'10") layout under construction

My layout planning and construction;
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...hlight=rosebud