Thread: Finally Have a Plan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Finally Have a Plan

I've been playing with this layout design for probably ten years, off and on, more off than on.

My goals are running as many trains as possible. Constant running. Just generic scenery with a small town, a few revenue producers, and a small storage area for rolling stock. A mini yard, I suppose.

I want to run various trains from different periods in history, with a short history of them displayed on the side of the layout for vistor's to read.

I also want to run trains relating to my personal experiences.

One would be the Chestnut Hill local from the late 60's, or early 70's, which ran (still runs?) from Penn Center (center city), to the Chestnut Hill neighborhood in Philadelphia. My Dad's cousin worked for the Pennsylavania, Penn Central, and I believe another related road before he retired. Anyway, he would call us, as we lived near Chestnut Hill, if he was running that local on a Sunday evening (slow night), and we would ride up front with him. If only the passengers knew that an eleven year-old was moving the rheostat and doing some of the braking! Things you never forget!

Another will be the current version of The Empire Builder, as my nephew just got a job on it! His job is something to do with passenger services. I don't know much about it yet. He has been an Amtrak fanatic since he could talk. It's a life long dream come true for him.

Probably a couple freights, steam era, modern era.

Other than that, something from the Rio Grande RR, as I have a good friend who lives out there and is also train goofy!

On to the design. I've tried flex track, and Kato. I like the precision and quality of the Kato. The pictures show what I have mocked up now. I'll add sidings, and probably a way to connect the different lines. I plan on stacking and carving styrofoam to add some dimension.

It began with a folded dogbone. I then added the small loop, but don't know if I'll keep it yet. I added the double loop when I saw that I could elevate most of the dogbone. It has 4% grades, which I don't really llike, but it's a compromise to get five trains running at the same time, in a pretty small space. It's a trapezoid, about 7 1/2' long and 4' and 3' feet wide at each end.

It's all in a built-in cabinet in our den. I have curtains to keep it from getting too dusty. I plan on keeping it a long time as a part of the furniture in the room. Underneath, is my roll-out desk and a filing cabinet. Above is storage for modeling stuff. I''l take a couple more shots to show more.

Anyhow, I'm open to comments and suggestions. I'm tryng to do this just once. lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NScaleRR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here we are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NScaleRR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,762 Times in 3,886 Posts
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@NScaleRR

Definitely nice plan for continuous running!

Definitely needs a double crossover and some sidings.

Questions:
    1. Will you have enough room for sidings of any meaningful length?
    2. Will you be placing terrain over any part of the track?
    3. If you build up terrain adjacent to and/or enclosing any of the track for tunnels/hills/mountains , will you have access to the track?
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

"Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, Moose.

I have a couple double crossovers. The space for sidings is limited, for sure. I want to make the track location more permanent before I look too closely at places for them. Speaking of making the track more permanent, there is "play" in it that allows me to move it around a bit. I don't want to make it completely permanent until I get it where I want it and plan spur and siding locations. How is Unitrack secured to styrofoam in a way that's not "too" secure? I see phantom holes on the under side, but I don't think nails would work. Glue seems like I'd better be sure of what I'm doing!

I know the back corner will be hard to access. I'm going to try to keep it simple back there, with access to most of the track. A short tunnel, and a lot of rock cut out to the 4" elevation.

In addition to stacking styrofoam, I'll add some foam sheet underneath, so I'm able to "dig" down as well as carve mountains. That's where I have to watch for siding and spur room.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NScaleRR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 768 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NScaleRR View Post
    I know the back corner will be hard to access. I'm going to try to keep it simple back there, with access to most of the track. A short tunnel, and a lot of rock cut out to the 4" elevation.
    Is there a way to make the benchwork "slidable" for emergency access?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotian_Huntress For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotian_Huntress View Post
    Is there a way to make the benchwork "slidable" for emergency access?
    That's a good idea. However, I couldn't incorporate it now without a major redesign. I'll do it with the next one that I'm not doing. lol

I found this helpful link which was suggested to me on a previous thread I posted about this RR. (There must be a name for this RR hidden in all of this about how long it's taking me.)
    https://www.fiferhobby.com/how-to/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,244 Posts
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NScaleRR View Post
    If there is a tunnel on the backside, you must have access. If you have access, nothing may ever go wrong there. But without access you are guaranteed derailments, stalled trains, disconnected cars, and any other possible problem.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

13. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    If there is a tunnel on the backside, you must have access. If you have access, nothing may ever go wrong there. But without access you are guaranteed derailments, stalled trains, disconnected cars, and any other possible problem.
    Yes, that's exactly why I said, "a short tunnel". Maybe two... Thanks.