Thread: Slow but Sure

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Slow but Sure

I've been gone from the forum for quite a long time. Injured my back, had surgery and had to take a long hiatus from my railroading. I'm back at it now and just wanted to show my slight progress. This an interior door layout, btw. I have to replace one street light that just won't work, and add a couple more.

The highway isn't finished, it isn't even glued down. I laid it out just for effect. I don't know if anyone has ever created a road this way (someone probably has). I laid out the location of the highway by drawing it onto the painted surface, using a beam compass for the curves. Then, using tracing paper, I drew the outline of the various road sections onto the paper. I cut out the pieces with scissors and used them as templates to transfer them onto thin cardboard (cereal box). Next, I cut the cardboard out with scissors and glued the pieces onto the back side of 600 grit sandpaper. Then, again using scissors, I cut along the edges of the cardboard "road base" to create sections with a finished surface. It still needs to be weathered and have a centerline applied, then glued down. I wanted to have a slight thickness to the road so that when I apply the berm material it wouldn't be higher than the actual pavement.

I need to put faux drainage structure ends at the locations where ditches cross the roads, too. Then put some "water" in the large stream and start the landscaping. So much more to do, but little by little I'll get there. Thanks for looking at my project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 4,497 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like the way you have handled the grade crossings . No big hump , very well thought out

Steve

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks nice so far. I like the 600 grit sandpaper for the road surface, neat idea. I do wonder if the cereal box cardboard underneath it will warp if it gets wet though (like when applying diluted glue to hold scenery material down). Glad you're able to get back at it, and any progress is better than no progress.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me likes. looks great gives me more ideas to think about . slow go is ok .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aflica View Post
    I like the way you have handled the grade crossings . No big hump , very well thought out

Steve
    Thanks Steve (that's my name too). I cut these roadway sections to go right up against the track, but, since this layout is set in the 50's era I didn't leave room for the rr ties that were used on either side of the track approach. I had already purchased some wooden grade crossings, but they are too short for the width of my pavement. I made the pavement 24 feet wide to accommodate the newer Classic Metal Works trucks. They've gotten larger in scale for some reason.

Anyway, I'll have to make my own grade crossings and trim back the ends of the pavement to to make room for them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rasputin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OTFan View Post
    Looks nice so far. I like the 600 grit sandpaper for the road surface, neat idea. I do wonder if the cereal box cardboard underneath it will warp if it gets wet though (like when applying diluted glue to hold scenery material down). Glad you're able to get back at it, and any progress is better than no progress.
    Good observation on the warping. They actually did warp. I had to reverse roll them to straighten them out somewhat. I have some gorilla wood glue and may use it to glue the pieces down, with some weight on them until they set.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    me likes. looks great gives me more ideas to think about . slow go is ok .
    Appreciate it, my friend. Everything I work on is slower these days.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    I have some gorilla wood glue and may use it to glue the pieces down, with some weight on them until they set.
    I hope that works for you - sounds like it is at least worth a try. I never had much luck with any kind of cardboard, and eventually went with cork sheet like you'd use on a bulletin board when I need something thicker, or styrene when I need something thin.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OTFan View Post
    I hope that works for you - sounds like it is at least worth a try. I never had much luck with any kind of cardboard, and eventually went with cork sheet like you'd use on a bulletin board when I need something thicker, or styrene when I need something thin.
    I'll let ya know how it works out. Keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man... that looks really nice! So much room to get creative with :-) Can't wait to see more updates... especially with trains on the rails.

-Greg