Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long have you been in the hobby?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,772 Times in 2,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How long have you been in the hobby?

There is a lot of experience here as well as quite a few new members so I was wondering how long people had been in the "Hobby", not just N Scale but the hobby as a whole.

I started out in the hobby around 2010 so am relatively a new comer compared to most. I began with HO, as probably most do, but then became interested in G Gauge and had a G Gauge layout along with my HO. After being in a forum, I saw all that could be achieved but, things I couldn't achieve in HO due to space; therefore, I made the transition to N Scale around 2016 and have remained there ever since.

During that time I have amassed 3 HO Layouts, 1 G Gauge layout and am about to start my 4th N Scale layout and dabble in a small Z Scale layout.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Must have started around 5? Years old with a Lionel O27 train set in the mid-1970s. But since I was a little kid then, it just became a toy that was mostly broken. The power pack, one flatcar and a couple pieces of curved sectional track are all that survived. I also got a Lionel HO set sometime after that, which met the same fate. It wasn't until I got a Tyco "Over and Under Figure 8" set at age 9 where I started taking trains more seriously, that eventually eventually became my first HO layout, a 4x8' on a sheet of plywood. That lasted from 1981-1988, then I built my 2nd layout in 1988, a 4x12' HO pike which was mostly active in the early-mid 1990s before gathering dust most of the time afterward. That was dismantled in 2006 when I converted to N scale (long story short, I was laid-off and depressed (though not totally broke) but deciding to sell all my HO trains and go N scale suddenly turned into an exciting venture for me which lasts to the present day). I started my current N scale layout, a 4x8', in November 2006 and am still at it today.

I must say, I enjoy the hobby much more as an N scaler than I ever did in HO.

Metro Red Ln (Metro Red Line)
    Under the streets of Los Angeles

3. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to MetroRedLn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroRedLn View Post
    I must say, I enjoy the hobby much more as an N scaler than I ever did in HO.
    Ditto to that Sir
    Cheers Tony

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess my interest in the Hobby started back when i was a young boy after My grandfather introduced me to trains. I remember vaguely i think i may have been 4 or 5 and he built me a HO layout on chip board that I ran trains on the floor. Now im 30 and Ive been modelling with N scale for the last 13 or 14 years. Made plenty of friends along the way and exhibit my layout "locally" when I can
    Shannon

1100 x 2100 (3'7" x 6'10") layout under construction

My layout planning and construction;
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...hlight=rosebud

7. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Shannon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,329 Times in 2,403 Posts
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I consider 1975-76 as the years (age 12-13) when I became an active model railroader. Prior to then I had N scale and O gauge train sets. But becoming exposed to Railroad Model Craftsman and Model Railroader magazines through the local library stoked a passion that has burned brightly ever since.

9. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,197 Times in 845 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started probably around 8-10 years old when I got my Tyco Transformers train. Set that up in the basement under the ping pong table. When I got my first newspaper route some of that money went into getting more cars, scenic items and some buildings.

As I got on in my teen years those went into storage until after my son was born and was interested in Thomas about 10 years ago. When I started looking into model railroading again I decided N scale would be more ideal for space, and now I'm on my second layout.

11. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to coffeeman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,132 Times in 1,099 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like many of us, I had some exposure as a kid. We had an HO oval of track that came out around Christmas, I had a nearly HO sized (but not compatible) toy steam locomotive and cars that ran on plastic track (batteries in the locomotive, on/off switch on the side of the loco), and at one point a friend with a partially built HO layout. But then I didn't touch the hobby for years.

I really started into the hobby in late 2012, and joined this forum not long after. I considered both HO, N, and at one point Z. I just couldn't fit enough terrain and scenery with HO, plus I just like the smaller models for some reason. Z had some appeal, but stuff is harder to find, more expensive, and many of the details are just too small for my taste. N is a great balance. I just recently started my second layout (and cannibalizing some things from the first), plus my son and I are working on a smaller layout for him.

13. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to OTFan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 493 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it was after 1970 when I swiped (er, borrowed) my brother's HO train set and built a 4x8 in the basement. Got into N-Scale about 1976-77 while I was in high school. I built a 2x4 layout and used the rocks that washed off of the shingles on our house for ballast. I found those as a result of cleaning the gutters. That chore worked out OK.

I found out that a sheet of 1/4" (cheap) plywood with a 1x2 frame around the edges isn't real stable. Spent a few years in college, moved to NC. My next layout was probably 1983. That one worked better. I kitbashed a Bachmann GP40 into a Southern high hood GP38. Had a couple of Atlas RS-3s painted for the Piedmont and Blue Ridge.

I guess close to 50 years. Can't figure out how that math works since I'm only 39!
    Tim Rumph
    Modeling the Southern Railway in N-Scale

15. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Tim R For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,079 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Started on my 8th birthday -- 1971. Dabbled in HO -- as a tween -- went on hiatus from the hobby during high school (Graduated 1981). Got married in 1982 (We are still together). Got back into N scale (With a vengeance) -- 1982. And, I haven't looked back.

Wolf

17. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to SP-Wolf For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the responses guys and there are some interesting, and amusing, stories to go with your hobby histories
    Cheers Tony

19. The Following User Says Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like everyone started out as a kid/teenager, paused the hobby due to life and family, and then came back with a vengeance.

No different here. Started with HO as a kid when I was given one of those big flat box set that can be purchased from department stores (remember thoses? ) as a gift from a family friend. I think it was either AHM or Tyco. Then a short pause with a quick in and out during high school. That was when I discovered N Scale but back then N was VERY primitive compared to what we got today!

Then a LONG LONG pause because life got in the way. Finally I had enough time to get back into it with full force about 10 years ago. Discovered something called DCC and the rest was history as they say.

21. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometime in the early 1970's my parents got me a windup train set. It had about 9 pieces of track that made a small circle. A couple of years later a friend of mine got an electric HO train set. I wanted one badly but my parents couldn't afford it.

Jump forward to 2002 and life finally got out of the way. My wife and I just moved into a new house and I "took over" one of the rooms in the basement for a train room. I got into N Scale right away as I wanted to be able run longer trains. I am currently on my second layout.
    Regards,
    Warren

23. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to African Pirate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow... some really great stories there. I'm very new to this hobby. Only started a few months ago (still need to post some pics of my progress). I've always been into fine detailed hobbies, model aircraft, Warhammer and gaming miniatures (modifying and painting them), Gundam model building, just to name a few. I got into slot car racing for a while a few years back, built my own track with scenery and was part of a very active club. While buying and making my scenery for the slot car track I started to see all the great train layouts people had and got me interested in model railroading. The problem with Slot car racing is that you have to be part of a good active club and travel to everyone's house all the time (sometimes a hour or two away from my house). With family obligations this just became more of a chore and rush around then a hobby. So I started buying Model Railroader magazine and checking stuff out online. With model railroading you can take your time, devote as much as you have at any time... not on anyone's schedule or plan. So I'm very much looking forward to working on my layout and participating in this great forum of ours :-)

Cheers!

-Greg

25. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to lgl007 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,553 Times in 1,319 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I received my first train set Christmas, 1957. Dad was stationed in Germany, so it was a Märklin HO set. Being an Air Force family, and moving every few years, there was no layout, just track laid out on the carpet. At age 14, (1964), I pretty much lost interest. Not so my older brother, who kept our trains and expanded on them a great deal. He returned my original set to me in 2018. Still runs.

In about 2010 my wife inherited an HO oval and a small freight train. We would set it up on the dining table for the grandkids. They would run it too fast, it would come apart, etc. Kathy asked me to build them a layout table, which I did. When they would come to visit, we would work on it. They weren't really that interested.

In 2012 Kathy and I took a trip to Europe: the Netherlands for the tulip festival and Dutch Renaissance art; Belgium to visit Belgian friends; the Rhein Valley to stay in a castle; and Bavaria to visit Bavarian friends. Travelled all over with a Eurail Pass.

When we came back after 3 weeks in Europe I started my first N scale German layout. I built it in my woodshop, with ropes and pulleys to haul it to the (10') ceiling when I needed to use the shop. I had not yet discovered any model railroading fora. And I made some serious mistakes. No access in tunnels. No room for a hand in staging track under a hill.

We went to Europe again in 2014, again with a Eurail Pass, to the German Schwarzwald, Switzerland, Austria, AND this time visiting Miniatur Wunderland. INSPIRATION! In February, 2015, I started my current Rheinland-Bayern Bahn layout, specifically to take to train shows. I cannibalized the previous layout, sold the HO layout and trains, and was ready to show the new set up in September, 2015. No, it wasn't finished. There were bald patches (on the layout!). And, of course, it still isn't. There are always ideas....

Now I am contemplating a larger, non-traveling layout, hoping to incorporate more of our travels and beer production - barley into malt, hops processing, and, TA-DA! - brewing. I've drawn up several plans, but have not settled on one yet.

A few words about the Eurail Pass and riding trains in Europe: no one checks your ticket when you board a train. They may or may not check while the train is in motion. But you better have a ticket. Local trains have VERY short station stops - about 35 seconds. Don't go into the toilet on the train as it pulls into a station where you have to change trains, as one friend did on my last trip.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

27. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,298 Times in 2,997 Posts
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Not much difference with my hobby life either.
    Started out with a Lionel set on the floor in the basement when I was around 5ish, a short while later Dad brought home a 4x8 sheet of plywood with
    HO "over under" figure 8. After that wore out, it was around 76 when I bought my first HO Tyco train set.
    Built another 4x8 HO layout and then encountered a friend who had N scale.
    In 79 I switched to N and have been there ever since.
    I've had two N scale layouts, then designed our module concept of Bend Track.
    After our group faded away, I started on the layout that I have now, The Little Rock Line.

I walked away from my models temporarily several times, but have always returned.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

29. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,439 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My Dad was in HO and got me into N at the age of 8. I stepped away from the hobby at 16, then I came back at 30. The last 12 years have been awesome for me! I met some great people that introduced me to FreemoN. That has allowed my layout to move and evolve over the last decade.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

31. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 661 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my first train set when I was three while in the hospital for tonsils removable. Was a Marx wind up and then to Marx elect 027 later that year for Christmas. When I was about 6, got a HO set. Friend across the street introduced me to scale model railroading as he had a very large HO layout that had both trains and HO scale Aurora model motoring. Moved to a new house at age 10 and had a 14 X 16 "toy room" that I took over and built my first model railroad. Then I meet a gentleman that worked with my father that was also a modeler. He taught me how to handlay track and turnouts with gauges that he made (he was a machinist). Got married in '76 and moved out of the house, but still worked and ran train on the rr. Then a couple of years later, mom wanted the room and the layout was torn down. Bought my first n scale in '79 and started my first n scale layout and over the years, I've built 7 layouts. Still have a few HO and N scale loco's and cars from back then.
    Rodney

Here is my build of my n-scale railroad
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...-50-8-quot-%29

33. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,574 Times in 3,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was into trains before my 2nd birthday!

Actually, that's my dad's fault, for getting me a Lionel O-27 set for Christmas. I loved it, up until my Grand Pops bought me some HO trains when I was 7 years old. My dad helped me to build the proverbial 4x8, which lived in the garage and hung from a pulley system so that he could still park a car in there. I remember having an Amtrak F-unit and passenger cars, a golden Tyco ALCo C-628, an "Old Dutch Cleanser" boxcar, and more.

But then when I was 11 years old I happened to see something at the toy store: an N-scale train set, with the super-tiny Civil-War-Era 4-4-0, 36' freight cars, and bobber caboose. It was so small compared to what I was used to, I had to have it! I had them put it on layaway for me, and scrounged my allowance until I could plunk down the $43 to buy that set. This was in 1982, and I think that is really when it became my hobby, rather than just toys to play with. I've been exclusively N-scale ever since, though my level of activity waxes and wanes, in competition with my other interests such as computer gaming and Magic: The Gathering.

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

35. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My father built an O gauge layout of a piece of plywood in the garage when I was around five. He would take myself and my brothers down to the local yard on weekends to look at the trains. Once, when I was around seven or so, there was a switcher parked on the tracks next to the park we were playing at and we went up to take a look. We got to go inside and the engineer let me drive the locomotive across a small bridge and back. Got into N Scale maybe around 10.... so 35 years ago. Had a 4x4 table where I would set up my trains to run around. Fell out of the hobby around high school but I kept all my trains. They moved with me to each new place. Finally several years ago my current wife and I bought a house with a barn and some land. One of the out buildings will one day be the train shed but for now the ICG practice division is set up in my office. I can't get to some shelves but who needs whatever is on them.
    WAAAAGH!! Wait, wrong hobby. TRAAAAAAIIIINNN!!

37. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to mastergeebo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,519 Times in 1,622 Posts
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When I was about 7 or 8 , my grandparents gave me a Tyco HO train set for Christmas .
    My grandfather then build me a impressive 4×8 layout table . Still one of the nicest tables I've seen to date . He and I worked on the layout together . I was into it , but only when he and I worked on it together .
    Then it just sort of faded away in my teenage years (girls , hanging out with friends ect) and didn't take hold again until my early 30's . But this time it was N Scale . I fiddled with a module with a turntable and round house , I didn't have room anywhere for even a small layout , so that wet my appetite. I have always been into model building , stock cars , funny cars , airplanes and even a apache helicopter . For the longest time I was doing Nascar models and spending ridiculous amount of money and time on them . Doing braided hoses and the fittings , running all the oil lines and fuel lines . Always after market decals and Tamiya paint . I still have my favorite one I did , tho the clear coat has yellowed over time .
    So this kept me into modeling , and a little over 8 years ago I jumped into N Scale . And I mean jumped . I read everything I could , countless hours on the Internet feeding my brain on learning everything I could .
    I have now had 4 real attempts at a layout , alway learning from the mistakes , and moving from the garage to a spare bedroom , and then to now in the formal living room . We don't use that room and the spare bedroom was needed .
    So I'm currently working on my latest layout , but money and time are both in short supply . So it's going really slow . But I hope to get some energy and a few bucks to continue it , it's all worked out in my mind . I've taken it slow to figure out problems and solutions .

So to sum it up , seriously into it time ....8 years , dabble time , most of my life in some respects

Steve

39. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to aflica For This Useful Post: