Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long have you been in the hobby?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,379 Times in 491 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instead of being born with a silver spoon in my mouth, I tell people I was born with a silver spike. My grandparents had an antique/train store, as it went the antiques became fewer and trains took over the business. I have been around them all my life. My grandfather was a Lionel/American Flyer guy, while my grandmother collected Marx. I always had a leaning to the N scale though. My grandmother would always ask me when I was going to move up in the world, I never did in that regard. Just bigger and bigger N scale layouts

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mu26aeh For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since 1970 first train Lionel, then got an Aurora n scale yellow case clear flip top n scale set with a ATSF F unit which I still have somewhere.

Then added a yellow case Aurora ATSF mdt set.

So been around trains for awhile didn't help My Grandfather was an ATSF lineman funny part is I went to work for BN before the merger lol guess you could say we were a BNSF family before the merger.
    Last edited by Caribou; 27th Feb 2020 at 10:05 PM.
    Pagosa Cavy distant cousin to the Wombat.

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Caribou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Started with HO when I was 8 or 9. Shortly thereafter, my Father brought a huge box of N Scale equipment that he picked up from a friend. He gave it to me and I was hooked! Now I am 53 and still in this great hobby! Thanks Dad!

6. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to prunk606 For This Useful Post:

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started out with N, right from the get go (73 from memory).
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

8. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Bryan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like so many, I got started with the obligatory O scale kit as a young kid. I don't even remember receiving it as a gift so I must have been pretty young.

As I turned into a teenager and started mowing lawns in the summer, I started spending my mowing earnings on HO scale. Built a 4x8 "Plywood Central Lines" that I kept under the bed when I wasn't working on it. My bedroom had just enough space to pull it out from under the bed, but not much extra.

In the late 70's, the family relocated, I finished out high school, and then moved on to college. Kept the plywood central for the time being, thoughh it was very much unused.

Once out of college, moved to central Arkansas, during the time there, I was living in an apartment and didn't do much with the trains. Then I ran into some folks who had a modular club going. The club had both HO and N scale groups. I elected to build some N scale modules and was back into the hobby.

Another career move into another town, another apartment. This time it was a 2 bedroom apartment, so the modules were scrapped and salvaged and a semi-permanent layout was started.

Then marriage, more career moves, a second layout started, then more career moves. In the early 90's I got into consulting and was on the road 90% of the time, so not much modeling.

Now, out of consulting for several years and probably in the last home I'll buy, I'm in the middle of seriously planning a new layout and slowly working towards that as I can for the last couple of years or so.

So, to answer the question, in and out of the hobby for pretty close to 55 years.
    - Gary R.

President & CEO
    Pinnacle & Western Railroad

Never under-do the over-kill.

I don't always stop for trains, but when ... oh wait!, Yes I do.

10. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Gary Rowan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,889 Times in 590 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had HO scale stuff first when I was about 5 or 6 (early 90s). First tried N scale in '99. Came back in 2005 and have been with it most of the time since other than a foray into O/HO.

12. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SimRacin14 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice topic, I've enjoyed reading your stories.
    I received my first set for Christmas 1976, a Lionel HO set with a Burlington Northern GP30, which I still have.
    As the years passed I went to N then O then back to N with several stints of being out of the hobby completely.
    In 2006 we were transferred from Georgia to California and space is limited in our small house so I don't have a permanent layout.
    I do set up a 4x8 layout in the garage several times a year.
    The scenery is lacking but I still have a lot of fun running 2-3 trains at a time on the small loops.

Steve

14. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to silver69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My earliest model railroad memory was in the mid 60's when I was about 4 and I crawled up on my 14 year old brother's combination model railroad and slot car track and did my imitation of Godzilla in Tokyo. I don't think he ever forgave me.
    About 1970 I was the only kid left at home and my dad decided we needed a train around the Christmas tree. He built the traditional 4'x8' and painted it green I don't know where he bought the Tyco HO set, but he decided to one up all the neighborhood kids who only had an oval of track. He bought an expansion pack that had two turnouts and some curves so he could add a double ended siding. Unfortunately, that big 4'x8' wouldn't fit well anywhere in our living room. We had lots of room in our basement though, so the day after Christmas the platform was moved down and set on two saw horses. I made an amazing discovery one day. I realized that I could drop off a car on that siding to be loaded or unloaded and the train continue on it's way. Operations even with horn-hook couplers!
    In 1972 disaster struck, literally. We were flooded by the river and lost everything on the first floor and in the basement. Coincidentally, I happened to be visiting relatives in Miami, FL when the flood hit and was stuck there from June to September. My Aunt decided I needed something to keep me occupied and took me to a toy store that had a train section. We went home with a N scale set and that started my addiction to N scale, though I flirted with HO scale from time to time. There were a few years here and there when those of the female persuasion occupied my time so much that the trains were ignored but I eventually found my way back.
    This was a great idea for a thread. Thanks for creating it. I am enjoying eveyone's stories.
    Cheers!
    Maurice
    Attempting to apply the K.I.S.S. principle to Model Railroading.

16. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Maurice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also started very young, probably around 1960, when my dad bought a large collection of used steam-era Lionel O27 from a co-worker. We were living in an apartment in NY city, so not much room to spare. First layout was built on a plywood 4x8 that my dad added wheels to so it could slide under my bed. My favorite accessories were the barrel unloader and tower where the switchman went down the stairs. However, I soon became fascinated by diesels (they looked so good in those 1960s Lionel catalogues), so I sold the 027 set and bought a Lionel HO Santa Fe warbonnet set. Soon, trains gave way to other interests as I moved on to High School.

Fast forward to 1985, traveling to the Swiss Alps with my wife and then-18 month old daughter, and riding some amazing trains over deep gorges and through narrow mountain tunnels. I saw a Marklin HO version in a store window in Zurich, and my wife convinced me to buy it after seeing my wide-eyed, transfixed stare. I dabbled a bit in Swiss rail with both Marklin and Bemo. There was a small hobby shop in Southern CA that was also a bakery and specialized in European models, especially Bemo.

Fast forward to around 1990, when my son was about 4 or 5 and I bought him his first Lionel O27 set. The Marklin got put away and we started building a layout in our “California basement,” aka the garage. As my son got older, his interest waned, and so trains faded for a while.

Years passed until 2004, when an old friend invited me to go to the NMRA convention in Seattle, and that’s where I got hooked on N scale. I bought the first Digitrax Chief set and a pair of Kato E8s, pulled up the 027 track and started working on my current layout. Have loved every minute since, and really enjoyed all the advice and support from this forum.

18. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to danb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started with Marx O gauge when I was 10. Changed to HO around 15. Downsized to N after college due to space limitations.

I've been working on my current layout since 1988. It's a 2' shelf type layout around a 12 x 24 basement room. Four Ntrak modules comprise one side of the room. One end is a city with 12 modular blocks covering the train staging area. The other wall contains the Three Fours mine(Named after the new owner's winning poker hand), a mountain pass and the Phoschem ore processing plant. The other end contains the power plant, elevator and drop down bridge across the entry doorway. I have about of six feet of scenery to complete and several city blocks to finish detailing. Once that's complete, I'll probably start refurbishing the oldest parts of the layout.

Since I retired, I spend 2-3 hours per day working on the layout. Before that 1 hour per day was my limit. Model railroading has led me to several other creative outlets, such as: custom decals, die cutting machines, 3D printing and microprocessor based animation.

If my vision ever fails and N scale becomes too challenging, I'll change to G scale trolley and build a new DCC based layout.
    Happy Modeling

Bruce

20. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to BruceNscale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,658 Times in 3,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a Marklin H0 layout when I was about 14 - 15, when we moved I had to put it away , plus I barely had time for it with sports ( icehockey at high level for a Dutch kid ) and school . Years went by and when I closed my bar in 2002 I got interested again , subscribed to magazines, started buying some rolling stock and structure kits , but didn't have the space I wanted. Then in 2006 I bought a house with 4 bedrooms , as I am single that gave me 2 adjoining large bedrooms for the layout of my dreams , and a small bedroom as a workshop. I have been working on my layout ever since , so about 14 years now , but I sometimes lack the energy and lust to do so . Last week I decided I was going for it again so I spent the the last 2 days off work cleaning my layout room ( the 2 rooms are connected through the cupboards in both ) . I have also been spending some time on a new kit that I will be showing soon.

In 7 years I will retire , I hope I will stay healthy and be able to spend much more time in the train rooms.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com

22. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 478 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom loved trains. When I was in her tummy she would tell me the benefits of N scale over any other scale. I hadn't been born yet so I was thinking about I scale (infant). I'm 78 now, so I guess I've been into trains for 79 years. Beat that. Heh.
    Charter member of CAMRRA.

24. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to gary60s For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was 5 when I got my first Tyco HO train set. 4x8 plywood in my bedroom. My loco made it 2 years before burning out. In the basement was my father's HO Marklin European trains. Complete layout with catenary, Unpowered though. He would let me run them under supervision. I then got his Lionel set at 9. Made a 4x8 to fit under my bed. The trains would run under the bed for night ops. At 14, I lost interest in model railroading. Collected model fire engines and would super detail them. Upon moving a lot, I gave up collecting things. Fast forward 27 years & trains became my passion. I went to N scale & didn't look back. Still awaiting room to build a layout, but a oval of track keeps me going. My identical twin 5 year old boys love them too. Awaiting 2 undecorated cabeese to do for them.
    Do I know what I'm doing? Maybe...maybe not...but I'm gonna try to have fun

26. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to NSNYSWFAN74 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,713 Times in 625 Posts
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an HO layout when I was a kid, then started again in N about 25 years ago when I quit smoking. I needed something to do with my hands and decided to spend my carton-a-week money on the hobby.

28. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to NtheBasement For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NtheBasement View Post
    I needed something to do with my hands and decided to spend my carton-a-week money on the hobby.
    Then you must have a boat load of N-Scale stuff! You'll be living longer so might as well stock up!

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been reading magazines since I was a kid (in my 40s).
    Dabbled in building HO vehicles for a while.
    Got in to N fairly recently.
    Plan to start a layout this year, once I can get some space cleared in the basement.
    Getting back into the hobby after a couple false starts and life getting in the way

32. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to cooldavion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 277 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 Years!

On July 11th, 1954 my mother returned home from the grocery store with an HO Hobbytown plastic gondola kit. It was a food store premium for buying that week at that particular grocery store. I have no idea why I remember dates like that but thus began a long love affair with railroads.

As a kid, I had always pushed my dad to put the Lionel and American Flyer 4’x8’ platform up at Christmas but these trains were different. These were scale models that actually looked real and they came at a perfect time. I had always enjoyed putting together model ships and airplanes but had gotten to a point that space dictated throwing away one for each new one built. Trains were different in that I could collect them, run them, AND they looked just like the ones that ran by my house less than a block away.

And what a great hobby it was for a kid! It was there I learned basic carpentry and electrical concepts. I learned about the transportation industry in general and trains in particular. I got to exercise my somewhat limited artistic talents and I got to dream. (Remember those were the days of the full color Lionel “dream” catalogs.)

34. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rick773 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,382 Times in 4,054 Posts
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Moose and the Model Railroad

Moose has had an interest in model railroads since Moose was very young...

Papa Moose first introduce Moose to model trains when Moose was but a mooselet, perhaps three years of age. Yes, it started with the ubiquitous Lionel train set. Papa Moose had one when he was growing up, and by-gosh, his wee mooselet son was going to know the joys of one as well.

And it twert gonna be just a roundy-round. Papa Moose commenced to a’pur-chasing an empire! When laid out on floor, it would take up the space of whole basement! (errr, in a wee mooselet's eyes) … When put away, it barely fit into three USAF foot lockers … It had many turnouts, operating coal ramp, operating switch tower, search lights, operating milk car, smoking steam locomotives (there were two! And NO disease’els!), and all manner of freight cars. And, one mega-sized multi controller transformer. Ohhh-yeah, wee mooselet likey trains!

Then a few years later, evil older brother (aka demon spawn) talked Papa Moose into selling nearly all of the precious Lionel trains to buy, gulp, a horribly-oversized half built used layout … with but one steam locomotive (Moose still has) and a whole mess of rotten stinkin’ disease’els. The wee mooselet’s heart was crushed.

Evil brother tried to make amends for his evil despicable act of cruelty by giving wee mooselet an ‘orribly-oversize locomotive for birthday – proving that he was, in fact, brought into this world by the union of the devil and a large helping of pond scum (that smelt like disease'els).

Oh yes, it was a disease’el … And a Tyco disease’el at that! The wee mooselet could take no more and put his dreams of a model railroad empire away in the dark recesses of a mooselet’s mind…

Until, college days, Moose friend tell Moose that a local hobby shop, Stadium Toy & Craft, was going out of business, with big discounts on everything. Yeah, Moose bought MRR stuff. Sadly, only things they had were Santa Fe disease’els and Santa Fe boxcars. Moose bought them, half-heartily thinking an empire would be built … Hard to do on student budget and in a dorm room or boarding house...

Tune in a few years later, Moose working, Moose have money, Moose buy house, Moose buy … What’s this? Tiny trains you can fit in yer mouth? Moose was intrigued. Teenie tiny trains called "n-scale.?

Curious was Moose, but Moose thought: "Trains are for kids." Moose bought a few locomotives, but no build layout. Layouts are fer kids too. Moose chased girls instead…

As time went on, work began to take toll on Mooose brain. Work stressful. If Moose mess up, planes no get to fly. Moose want planes to fly so people can go places. Moose stressed!

Moose head down long road to stress-overload ... Ironic, since Moose is stress engineer. But Moose digresses...

Tune in years later, Moose meet the future Mrs. Moose. Future Mrs. Moose tell Moose how model railroads and layouts are not just for kids, and that it would be a great hobby for Moose.

Future Mrs. Moose tell Mr. Moose: “You seriously need to mellow out dude [or something to that effect]. Build your layout and you will know peace.”

But Moose was hesitant. When last Moose thought about building something, Moose bought a Con-Cor 4-8-8-4 UP Big Boy from East Side Trains and a Con-Cor 4-6-4 NYC Shovel Nose from a now long-gone train store in Puyallup. Moose pulled these out of storage – aka an old USAF foot locker holding the remnants of Moose’s Lionel trains, a few ‘orribly-oversized and diseased moldy things and these few n-scale locomotives. Moose pondering the possibilities. With Lionel, no modeling. With whore-sized, no respect. With n-scale, an empire!

Moose finally decided to do it. Moose was going to build a wee n-scale layout in the corner of Mooses’ 10 x 10 foot home office. Something on the order of a nice 8 x 3 foot layout against the far wall, opposite of Moose's desk. A wee roundy-round mainline through some hills, a passenger station in the front, and a branch-line up to a logging area in the back corner...

Now, eight years later, Moose no longer have a desk or any other “office” items in home office. For the office is now the train room, with wall to wall trains and train accessories ... And Moose’s long long journey to building Moose’s railroad empire is nearly finished. Yeah!
    Last edited by Moose2013; 29th Feb 2020 at 12:46 PM.
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

"Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

36. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So many great stories to read here. It really is a great hobby where a person can spend some quality time engineering and building their own empire. As it has been mentioned, it gives one so many skills (electrical, carpentry, and now computers) not to mention the learning curve with trains and operations. These can go a long way in life and be used in so many different ways.

My journey started much like everyone else here at the young age of 5 or so when I received my first HO train. I spent hours in the basement with my dad and brother building a 4x8 layout that changed many times and eventually expanded to 4x15 feet.

I then realized that my love for the miniature world came from a visit before that first train arrived in the house. My parents took my brother and I to this park here in Niagara Falls that had amazing models of points of interest throughout Canada.

http://www.aphan.ca/canadia.html

It was the only time that I had every been there, but I remembered it and I am sure constantly pestered my parents to build something like this in the backyard.

I guess my dad decided a layout in the basement was a good compromise and the rest is history.

Again, like most I discovered women in high school and the trains sat in the basement unused for years. I moved away from home to the West Coast and although I didn't do anything with the hobby for years I always had fond memories.

Alas, a model train shop opened close to where I lived and I found myself a frequent visitor pondering over starting again in the hobby. It was then (late 90s) I decided N scale was the best choice for me considering the limited space I had to work with at home. After the first purchase of a Life-Like GP-38 I was hooked. My dad discovered I was again interested in trains and bought me a Bachmann Steam engine. He did like diesels much. (Moose would have liked my dad).

After joining a local club, and moving into a larger home I was well on my way to addiction (oops, I mean dedication) to the hobby.

I haven't been as active in the last year or so as I would have like to have been, but I am still a N scale modelling nut and enjoy every minute I have to spend with it.
    Rob

38. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to NiagaraRail For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,376 Times in 2,411 Posts
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2013 View Post
    a now long-gone train store in Puyallup
    I remember that place, Moose. On or near 3rd Street and Main. Near the tracks.

I might have seen Moose there once, but I would have remembered that. I mean, how many moose do you meet in a hobby shop in Puyallup?

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post: