Thread: How do you transport your Rolling Stock?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do you transport your Rolling Stock?

Not having a home layout, I am looking for a way to transport my rolling stock via public transportation (carry or roll) to clubs/shows. Has anyone come up with any good recommendations?

I know about the Car Cases from A-Line or Axian Tech, but I am having a hard time justifying the cost of the cardboard boxes.

The Plano Tackle 3600 is a good size for passenger cars and the price is decent. I just need to make up some foam inserts. But there is a lot of plastic case in comparison to the rolling stock it holds, so it is not really efficient storage.

At home I have an Iris MC-3100 10 drawer storage cart, which is great for at home, but will not travel well.

Does anyone have any good storage travel solutions that are as efficient as the cardboard box system from A-Line, but that might not be as expensive, that is easier to transport?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 661 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad "V-line" isn't around any more. They had some real nice storage boxes.

Rodney

Here is my build of my n-scale railroad
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...-50-8-quot-%29

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rodsup9000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on the amount of power and rolling stock I wanted to move, I used METAL TOOLBOXES from good 'ole Harbor Freight Tools. Protected everything real well. I had/have several boxes, one for engines[steam], one for rolling stock, one from specialty cars. Never had one for passenger cars. You can get some pretty big boxes if you want. Also used some of the canvas tool pouches, that Harbor carries. This is when I'm just taking a small assortment with me to a show.
    Since our local NTRAK club disbanded, I don't transport engines and rolling stock very often anymore. The amount I would move now, wouldn't be that many, so most of the boxes and pouches have been sold off. The stuff stays on the layout and I let the trains move the rolling stock.
    DIESELS ?!?!?! We Don't Need NO Stinkin' DIESELS!!!

THE INDIANA RAILWAY--100% STEAM POWERED in 2020

MARK

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    - Mark Twain,

5. The Following User Says Thank You to porkypine52 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,895 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So long as you are not transporting double stack containers, the plastic tube protectors for T-8 fluorescent light tubes work just dandy. That is how I transport all of my trains to shows. With a little ledge cut out of one end and folded down a fraction (to fit inside N scale rails) most of my trains drive in and out of the tubes, simplifying load in and load out at shows.

Here is my Kato Thalys TGV driving into it's home-away-from-home:

I have also found that gluing a piece of 1/4" pine, which I ripped to about 1/16" or 3/32" (I estimate) so that it is a 1/4 by 1/16 strip glued to the inside of the tube makes a bit of a track to stabilize the trains. I sharpen and bevel the end where the trains enter for a smooth transition so wheels and axles down catch on the wood. Glue with a CA gel so the pointy end is about 1" from the entry ramp.

I will be packing away my trains today for transport to the Rocky Mountain Train Show in Denver, so I will take some photos in more detail. This is a simple and cheap method, and secures the trains for all hazards. I stuff the ends of the tubes with foam from some couch cushions I found in a ditch many years ago (Hey! I can use those!). The Denver show is exactly 100 miles from the house, and I have taken the layout and trains to shows 6 hours away - Dodge City, Kansas, - with no damage whatsoever. I do the Denver show once a year.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    I will take some photos in more detail.
    I would love some additional details, but this looks like a great method for transportation and quickly loading/unloading onto tracks.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,653 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I use Axian cases. Worth every penny. Mine are probably 10 years old now, and are still in great shape. I left my rolling stock in then when I moved. 1500 miles with the moving company and not one damaged freight car or engine.
    Karl

CEO of the WC White Pine Subdivision, an Upper Peninsula branch line.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpwisc View Post
    I use Axian cases.
    I like the Axian cases because they have the foam to hold everything in place. But the A-Line cases, since they do not have foam, seem to hold more cars.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 661 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heath N Scale View Post
    But the A-Line cases, since they do not have foam, seem to hold more cars.
    But they do have foam between the rows of cars. It may not be as wide as the Axian are, but it does protect the cars well.
    Rodney

Here is my build of my n-scale railroad
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...-50-8-quot-%29

Thanks
    Thanked 2,111 Times in 794 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought some IKEA Samla boxes (3 gal version) with lids and those clips: https://www.ikea.com/de/de/p/samla-v...rent-20293455/ to hold the lids.

Then I took cable channels, cut them to length, glued them side to side, glued some foam inside (self-adhesive window seals) and done. Four layers of cars in one Samla box. My locos travel in their jewel cases so far.

Transporting rolling stock that way in my car and also on public transportation (in a big duffle bag).

YMMV,
    Heiko

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default T8 tubes for train transport

As I said, more photos to phollow. This shows a detail of the various cuts I've made to enable trains to drive into the tubes. It also shows the placement of the wood strip I use for rails inside the tubes.

Next is how I glue those strips of wood inside the tubes. I take a straight scrap of wood small enough to fit inside the tube and put double-sided Scotch Tape on it about every 8 inches to hold the strip in place. then I apply the glue you see in the foto to the wood, and slide the tube over the whole thing and press down. I was careful to line up the point of the wood strip with the pre-cut ramp at the end of the tube.

Next, for @Moose2013, is a shot of a Piko BR 82 pushing the Museum Train, aka the Wein & Bier Tour, into a tube:

And, finally, the proof is in the video. Here is my new Arnold ICE-3, BR 406M of the Nederlandische Spoorwagen, driving into the tube:
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I forgot one! I made a carrier for all these tubes by gluing 2" strips of 1/2" foam onto a foam board. It rests on the backseat of my truck on the way to shows.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info. I bought a few tubes and some balsa wood that I found that was the right size and I am going to give it a try.

I will likely cut the tubes down to 3' (instead of the 4' I bought) because the shorter lengths will be easier to carry.

I like your foam rack, but I will need to come up with something that can be carried.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heath N Scale View Post
    I will likely cut the tubes down to 3' (instead of the 4' I bought) because the shorter lengths will be easier to carry.
    I cut them to specific lengths and label them for particular trains, leaving about 2" at each end for foam plugs. I have a train as short as 14" and limit myself to 48" because of the length of my platforms. Most are about 36".
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn

21. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    I cut them to specific lengths and label them for particular trains
    This makes a lot of sense, thanks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I transport my rolling stock in the Plano clear plastic cases with foam cushioning. The Plano cases I get from Walmart along with a plastic milk crate that will hold six of the cases. The foam cushioning I get from Joann Fabrics. I use a small collapsible two wheel dolly to wheel the milk crates. I usually bring 2 crates to a show. Engines are carried in their jewel cases in the top of a Plano tackle box. There is room underneath for three more of the plastic cases. Each case will hold about thirty two 40 foot cars so theoretically with two full milk crates and the tackle box I can carry about 480 pieces of rolling stock and about 20 locomotives. Usually though, I don't carry that many.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inkaneer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Plano cases do you use? I have some 3600 that work pretty well.
    My First T-Trak Module - Forum Thread
    My First T-Trak Module - Youtube (Please Subscribe)
    My First T-Trak Module - Imgur