Thread: Astrotrain64 COVID-19 Build Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 405 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Astrotrain64 COVID-19 Build Thread

As many of you know, in order to stop the spread of the COVID-19 Virus, multiple cities and states have shut down all but basic services. Many of us are working from home and large gatherings, including train shows, have been cancelled. Since my daily commute of an hour plus has been eliminated, I have decided to devote more time to my n-scale activities. I will document my daily attempts in this thread, and I hope others will follow with their own threads. Use your username plus COVID-19 and document your own daily activities.

Here's my activities over the weekend:

3/20 I added planking and railings to my Roadkill Cafe porch build.
    DPM Roadkill Cafe Porch.jpg

3/21 I created a second floor bump-out from the left-over parts of the Walthers Cape Cod kit. Also, touched up the paint on the two car garage.

Cape Cod Builds.jpg

3/23 Added Kato lighting kit to my Metra Cars. Going to add to the see-through unit at the bottom in the future.

Metra Lighting Installs.jpg
    AT64

What is real? What mysteries lie beyond your senses? At the root of existence, mind and body meet. Thoughts shape reality. Supreme Sorceress AKA The Ancient One.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to astrotrain64 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 778 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me more about that see through Metra unit. Never seen that before!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingmeow View Post
    Tell me more about that see through Metra unit. Never seen that before!
    I purchased a Con-Cor Burlington, fluted side, Bi-Level Coach some time ago and, with a Walthers Gift Certificate, purchased a VRE Bi-level coach. The glass enclosure is from the Con-cor coach and the beige seats and black bottom are from the VRE coach. Hoping to cut the bottom out of the Con-cor body, paint the trucks silver, color the see-through windows, and add some decals from a local vendor.

The second car in line is what I'm trying to duplicate in n-scale
    http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...aspx?id=935160
    AT64

What is real? What mysteries lie beyond your senses? At the root of existence, mind and body meet. Thoughts shape reality. Supreme Sorceress AKA The Ancient One.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to astrotrain64 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3/24 Inspired by Kingmeow's interest, I cut up the Burlington Northern Bi-level. I made a padded vise using foam from the Kato Bilevel 3 pack and a small box. Popped the weight off the base and drilled 1/8 holes two at each end and two at each end of the gap for the weight. Use several #11 blades to slowly remove the bottom of the coach. Halfway through, I worried about crushing the shell, so I cut some pieces of foam to fit inside the shell. Here's the progress so far:
    ConCor BN rebuild1.jpg
    It supposed to be above 50 degrees for the next two days. so painting seems like an option.
    Last edited by astrotrain64; 25th Mar 2020 at 09:02 AM.
    AT64

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to astrotrain64 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you have to cut the bottom out of the Con-Cor car? The body and floor weren't molded as one piece, were they?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the old time Bi-levels, they are one piece. The roof is removed and has the interior glass attached to it. That assembly drops inside the walls of the Bi-level and the base with the weight and holes for the trucks with Rapido couplers.
    AT64

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to astrotrain64 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3/25 Finished the cuts and sanding on the Burlington Coach. Re-assembled the coach. As you can tell from the photo, it rides higher than the Kato Coaches - just like the original Con-Cor coach.
    Burlington Coach.jpg

Broke out the Kato V12 set to test the lighting installation. Here's the entire consist in the light and the dark.
    Metra Consist 5.jpg Metra with Light.jpg
    The Burlington coach is the unlighted one after the engine. The chassis lights without the shell on, but, add the shell, and it won't light. Just one more thing to do tomorrow.
    AT64

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to astrotrain64 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you primarily into modifying rolling stock, or is that just what is on your workbench this week?
    My First T-Trak Module - Forum Thread
    My First T-Trak Module - Youtube (Please Subscribe)
    My First T-Trak Module - Imgur

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heath N Scale View Post
    Are you primarily into modifying rolling stock, or is that just what is on your workbench this week?
    While I have done a lot of kitbashing, this is my first kitbash for rolling stock. Just adding loads to flat cars doesn't count. It began because I was cleaning my workbench and found a Kato six-pack (of LED lights). My primary interest is in buildings. Here's a link to my needs-to-be-updated Flickr account.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/astrotrain64
    AT64

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to astrotrain64 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3/26 In updating my Flickr access, I was reminded of my progress on my Corner Apothecary kitbash. I cut windows to fit all sides from .20 polyester clear sheets from Midwest Products. These sheets have a removable wrap that covers both sides. I decided to try a tinting spray paint from Model Master on one side of the clear sheet. I also painted the upper floor access doors. Here's the Moose Tax.
    DPM Corner Kitbash 06.jpg
    AT64

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to astrotrain64 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3/27 Parts for my broken chainsaw arrived late this afternoon, so I spent my evening on a 1 to 1 scale project. A neighbor stopped by to help. He said his kind doesn't believe in social distancing. Apparently, not a single member of his species has caught the virus. @GOJIRRA, is he a relative of yours?

20200327_214901_resized.jpg
    AT64

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to astrotrain64 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 778 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by astrotrain64 View Post
    3/27 Parts for my broken chainsaw arrived late this afternoon, so I spent my evening on a 1 to 1 scale project. A neighbor stopped by to help. He said his kind doesn't believe in social distancing. Apparently, not a single member of his species has caught the virus. @GOJIRRA, is he a relative of yours?

20200327_214901_resized.jpg
    Lucky it wasn't a Moose!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3/30 After spending the weekend repainting my son's bedroom, I only had enough energy to organize the Windows for my Bachmann Metropolitan Building rescale project. I will start listing this under the "Urban Modeling" thread.

Bachmann Metro rescale.jpg
    AT64

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to astrotrain64 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4/3 - 4/6

I started the Lunde Studios Park Place kit

https://www.nscale.net/forums/showth...e-Build-Thread
    AT64

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a while... but between distance learning and home improvements, the n-scale world takes a rear seat sometimes.

Afternoon thunderstorms ended the outdoor planting today, so I retreated to the basement to work on my Walters Ranch House kitbash. With the warm temperatures, it was time to paint. Got some of my rattle can friends together (social distancing 6 to 8 inches) and went to work. Painted the roof, taped and painted the walls, assembled Grandt Line garage door, painted and added glass AND painted the two chimneys.

Here's a group photo:

20200523_222752_resized.jpg
    AT64

25. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to astrotrain64 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished the big stuff on the Walthers Ranch House kitbash. Attached gutters to roof, but had to pull out a #17 chisel tip to remove a guiding piece of plastic. Added glass to windows and doors, glued to model and added window treatments to windows. Need to add downspouts and a couple of details. But, it did fail the lighting test...

Front and Left side
    Walthers Ranch1 Front.jpg
    Rear and Left side
    Walthers Ranch1 side.jpg
    Rear and Right side
    Walthers Ranch1 long side.jpg
    AT64

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to astrotrain64 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Added downspouts to the Ranch House. Try to decide if I want to use my NZT gas meters details.

Decided to try something different for my light leaks. Usually I use black paint on the walls, but because of the clip-in design of the windows, I didn't want to spend all that time taping over the windows or removing the paint. With Phil Swift's urging, I tried Rust-o-leum's Leak Seal spray-on paint. It's that spray paint that forms a rubberized seal to stop leaks. I know it is overkill for light leaks, but, since Woodland Scenics has rubber paint to seal light leaks, so this might work too.

I taped up the future glue edges just leaving the center of the roofs. Normally, I like to spray several light coats... but this stuff comes out of the can fast! One shot covered the area. It takes a while to dry and did the same job as black paint. If there was a gap in the roof line, it would have been filled. The stuff cleans up easily, after it dried I just scraped the stuff of my hands. I feel like it would scrape off the plastic just as easily.

20200528_225154_resized_1.jpg
    AT64

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to astrotrain64 For This Useful Post: