Thread: Subways: Your Models and Your Favorites

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Subways: Your Models and Your Favorites

One of my fast-growing railroad interests is subways, particularly those of New York, but unfortunately I haven't found much in the area of active subway discussion here. So I want to know, who's done some subway modeling here? It can be anything, even just a little cutaway scene under a city section with a layout, or even just a 3D-printed shell. I regret to say that I have yet to build anything subway-related, but I hope to change that sometime soon.

Also, what's your favorite subway systems/equipment? I already mentioned that I like New York's system, and while I don't know a ton about their equipment yet, so far my favorite has to be the Redbirds.
    Witty as a whittling Whitcomb! Though Whitcombs aren't sentient, so maybe that's not a good thing...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WittyWhitcomb For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,855 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a fantasy that after I get my 1000 other projects done, I'd like to build a small "rendition" of NYC circa 1940=ish. Mostly for the elevated railways but would like to include trolley and some subway views.

My limited research shows very limited N scale subway style models availability. It will probably be a 3D print project. Particularly for the vintage equipment.

I have seen a few photos over the years but have never heard anyone actively modeling a vintage subway layout. Have seen a few modelers that include cutaways with not specific subway equipment. Maybe someone here will jump in.
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 475 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Footlong, Steak and cheese on Italian herb and cheese
    :bottle::bottle::gdl::mp15:

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Intermodalman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post
    I have a fantasy that after I get my 1000 other projects done, I'd like to build a small "rendition" of NYC circa 1940=ish. Mostly for the elevated railways but would like to include trolley and some subway views.

My limited research shows very limited N scale subway style models availability. It will probably be a 3D print project. Particularly for the vintage equipment.

I have seen a few photos over the years but have never heard anyone actively modeling a vintage subway layout. Have seen a few modelers that include cutaways with not specific subway equipment. Maybe someone here will jump in.
    That sounds really cool, in fact the elevated lines are probably the easiest way to model any of the subway lines. One of my dream projects is a diorama or module of Shea Stadium with the Willets Point station in the foreground.

Quote Originally Posted by Intermodalman View Post
    Footlong, Steak and cheese on Italian herb and cheese
    I'm partial to a meatball sub myself
    Witty as a whittling Whitcomb! Though Whitcombs aren't sentient, so maybe that's not a good thing...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WittyWhitcomb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,565 Times in 727 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after I get my 1000 other projects done,
    Camel camel camel !!!!
    Thanks, Tom

Expect nothing except the opposite of what you expect, and then expect it to be something other than that ! Then that's about what it will be

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,360 Times in 2,938 Posts
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@WittyWhitcomb

I knew an English girl (yep you heard right - girl SuzieX) who built a replica of the London Underground. albeit HO Scale. Not sure if she is still in the hobby or not but if I can dig up her email she might be able to point you in a direction and/or offer some hands on advice.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,894 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My only experience with subways is the U-Bahn in Hamburg, Germany. Very efficient and clean. It runs both underground and, on the route most convenient to the Miniatur Wunderland, elevated.

The airport in Frankfurt (Frankfurt Flughafen) has two train stations under the terminal. The first level down is for local and regional trains. The next level is the Fernbahnhof, or long distance trains such as the InterCity Express - ICE. I loosely modeled my staging area after this. Very loosely.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi WittyWhitcomb,

I've roughed in a subway stop under my city park...but it's been on the "roundtuit" list for a couple of years.

For the subway car I'm using a Kato low profile power unit and cut and spliced heavyweight passenger parts and doors(I'm modelling the 1950's).

I went with dual track at the station and spring loaded turnouts in the out of sight tunnels for a "push-pull" run using a single car.

The operation will be automated using a Picaxe microprocessor to control random wait times between trains, signals, read the photocell detectors and start/slow/stop the train.

There are several good videos about modeling a subway station on Youtube.
    Happy Modeling

Bruce

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BruceNscale For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

Luke Towan has built an HO diorama of a Subway Station if you are interested.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-8hiy4oSJBg
    Regards,
    Warren

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to African Pirate For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BruceNscale View Post
    For the subway car I'm using a Kato low profile power unit and cut and spliced heavyweight passenger parts and doors(I'm modelling the 1950's).
    That is the similar to my ambition. Except previous subway car era. Tentatively thinking Q cars of 30's-40's...

Quote Originally Posted by WittyWhitcomb View Post
    elevated lines are probably the easiest way to model any of the subway lines.
    Not sure if easy comes to mind... More observable? Less hidden...?
    It does combine my interests in urban architecture, transportation and history.
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BruceNscale View Post
    Hi WittyWhitcomb,

I've roughed in a subway stop under my city park...but it's been on the "roundtuit" list for a couple of years.

I went with dual track at the station and spring loaded turnouts in the out of sight tunnels for a "push-pull" run using a single car.

The operation will be automated using a Picaxe microprocessor to control random wait times between trains, signals, read the photocell detectors and start/slow/stop the train.

There are several good videos about modeling a subway station on Youtube.
    Neat! Whenever you get "roundtuit" I'd love to follow the building process

Quote Originally Posted by African Pirate View Post
    Hi,

Luke Towan has built an HO diorama of a Subway Station if you are interested.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-8hiy4oSJBg
    Wow, that's just fantastic. That's how I picture my dream layout, only I also have an idea of building a cityscape above.

Not sure if easy comes to mind... More observable? Less hidden...?
    It does combine my interests in urban architecture, transportation and history.
    Fair point, maybe not necessarily easier. Though derailments certainly are harder to handle on subways, both real and modeled...

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WittyWhitcomb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 475 Posts
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's always the Kingston trolley museum, that could be modeled. Their collection would allow almost any NYC car to be run prototypically
    :bottle::bottle::gdl::mp15:

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Intermodalman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might be heresy considering my city of residence, but my favorite subway is the DC Metro. I especially like the architecture but the trains are cool too.

I haven't done any subway modeling but I like freelancing, and a fictional subway to run through my fictional city is on my bucket list.
    Last edited by dwwojcik; 30th Mar 2020 at 10:35 AM.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dwwojcik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 785 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotian_Huntress For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intermodalman View Post
    here's always the Kingston trolley museum
    Looks like they have some Q cars in their roster. Thanks.
    A long day trip but will keep in mind if/when can get up that way.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all, new to the forum. I'm getting started on my N scale layout, and it will be heavily subway/elevated focused. I'm going for a 70's-80's era, with the grimy vibe of NYC at the time, with influences of LA and London mixed. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to lay the track and set the stations underground. Looking forward to chatting with you, getting tips, and sharing with everyone!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to quagland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,894 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, @quagland! Sounds like a very interesting project.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout

Thanks
    Thanked 5,907 Times in 1,175 Posts
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This guy makes some interesting looking subway car shells - https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ihphobby

Images Replicas / OCS Models made some very nice looking (and running) brass NYC subway cars back in the 90's , but they're ridiculously hard to find nowadays.

-Mark

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,141 Times in 1,041 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check this out...

PW&NJ Railroad

The Resourceful Route!

36. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PW&NJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quagland View Post
    Hi all, new to the forum. I'm getting started on my N scale layout, and it will be heavily subway/elevated focused. I'm going for a 70's-80's era, with the grimy vibe of NYC at the time, with influences of LA and London mixed. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to lay the track and set the stations underground. Looking forward to chatting with you, getting tips, and sharing with everyone!
    Nice! This is one of my future layout ideas, though when I say future I mean post-lottery future...

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WittyWhitcomb For This Useful Post: