Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,908 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post
    Twiiter-verse rumor says it is diesels that are the carriers... but I can't provide any comprehensive data to prove.

There is a lot of information even experts do not know.
    I would hesitate to make any claims. Even "experts" are contradicting each other and themselves as new information and data is update each day.
    I listened to a Dr who 100% believed this had to be direct human contact and then hand to eye/nose/mouth spread. Another said wash your clothes after shopping... Who really knows.

Awareness, caution and thorough hand cleaning are probably best recommendations.

But enough steamers will offset any dangers a diesel can bring....
    My favorite computer game is "Stump The Spellchecker"...
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/images/Flags/USA/Ohio.png
    ...to the topTop

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzbass01 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,876 Times in 1,441 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What precautions are being taken in Denmark? I see news on Deutsche Welle each day, but apparently not enough deaths in Denmark to capture the interest of state-side news. DW reports Germany, France, Spain and Italy (and the U.S. more accurately and calmly than the U.S. networks), but not often on other European nations.

As for Kathy and I, at home we are 20 miles out, but we do go into town for food. This morning we did a nice 5 miles on our bikes on a nearly deserted trail, and played pickleball for a bit (boy, am I out of shape!). Then home. She is making some masks for us - cotton covers over a hepi-air filter material. Not M-95, but something to wear inside stores. And, of course, the washing. We go horse & bike riding, 2-3 times a week, and bike & bike riding, with pickleball, 2-3 times a week. People we see are friendly - smiles, some conversation from a bit of distance, seeming in good spirits.

We haven't stocked up on anything except beer. Purely medicinal, of course, since hops is a natural anti-viral.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    https://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...4-x-9-5-layout
    ...to the topTop

4. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,308 Times in 2,919 Posts
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I believe I can put all of the doubts and concerns to rest ... I have just gotten off the phone with my very reputable Physician and HE assures me that all is well and we have nothing to worry about ....................

Of course, he has been known to be wrong at times
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"
    ...to the topTop

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,811 Times in 2,787 Posts
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Gosha View Post
    I heard that the Coronavirus particularly thrives on DCC equipment.

Doug
    especially steam locomotives
    ~ Charles

:shay:
    ...to the topTop

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,736 Times in 775 Posts
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep Calm

and

Run Trains
    ...to the topTop

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,308 Times in 2,919 Posts
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see this thread engaging in some humor and not focusing on the perceived "doom and gloom" of it
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"
    ...to the topTop

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,260 Times in 652 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    What precautions are being taken in Denmark?
    Oh boy, where to begin?

Currently 90 fatalities, 529 in hospital, of which 145 in ICU and 139 of those in ventilators. No totals available.

We are holding at a 10 person limit for gatherings. Social distancing everywhere of course. People get it. I'm working from home on week 3, and the current rules apply through Easter.

Borders are closed, passenger traffic on freeways is down to 50% or less, cities are silent. You've seen the pictures. Truck traffic slightly up, though.
    Doctors and nurses are being crash-trained for corona specific ICU service.
    Businesses and factories are stepping in to manufacture medical equipment and PPE
    Shops are closed except for food stores and pharmacies.
    Occasional hoarding, but not much. Hoarders find the shelves stocked the next day. Supply lines are open, warehouses are stocked.
    Distilleries are retooling to make hand-cleaning alcohol (black market on the rise here, but being pursued)
    Retired medical personnel is being asked to volunteer
    Final year medical students are being promoted to active duty
    Gathering limit is being enforced with fines, but mostly the police is being met with understanding
    Many planes are grounded. It's weird seeing the sky without vapor trails
    I'm sure I forgot something, but you know - basically we're all doing what we can.

There have been layoffs, but the government is subsidizing 75% of workers' payment (up to a cap which was recently raised) provided that they are not laid off. Other subsidies are in effect for businesses and cultural institutions, basically an attempt to freeze the economy in order to hit the ground with the landing gear extended when this is over. There's an article in The Atlantic with more details about the economic side of things.

It seems to work and it looks like we have indeed managed to flatten the curve. They clamped down early, so the current projection says the peak of the outbreak will be within the capacity of the health services. The curve is linear and not exponential, but it's too early to tell for sure. Today the prime minister announced that if the numbers hold, they'll gradually open society again after Easter, pretty much coinciding with the projected peak. However, if the numbers are getting worse, we could see prolonged or tightened measures, so keep doing what we're doing, we can't relax.

Does that sound weird to you?

Look at it this way: Let's say we ride the initial peak off. Then what? Most of the population will most likely not have been infected and thus immune, so we can't just let go. Instead, assuming that we're within capacity of the health system, let's open slowly and get the wheels running again while we maintain capacity and treat those who invariably will be infected. Eventually a vaccine will be ready and we'll see what happens then.
    The way I see it is that they're trying a controlled return - it's going to be a slow one - realizing the fact that we can't do anything about the virus being around, so let's focus on what we can do.

We have a united parliament together with the health authorities communicating clearly and transparently about the state we're in, what they're doing, what needs to be done and why. I don't know if they're taking the right path, but when this is over, nobody is going to say the bridge wasn't manned when we navigated these uncharted waters. I feel very confident in what they're doing.

This virus is one heck of a sneaky bastard. The only consolation is that over time, it tends to mutate into a milder form, because once detected, it is being cut off from transferring to a new host. So the milder forms that do not affect us as much will prevail. It's the nature of the beast.

This will pass.

THE SONG TO LIFE (with my humble translation)

Alive
    For heart, body and soul
    Love has been given
    And will never expire.
    We know it as the song
    That we sing without stop
    The song to life

Stand face to face
    When meeting anyone
    And follow your inner voice
    Wherever you may be.
    Where the eyes are smiling
    It's mostly because of
    The song to life

[Chorus]
    The song to life
    Is the song for us all
    When sorrow casts shadows
    And the sun is turning black
    Everything is volatile
    Anchored in the purpose
    The song to life

We are strenghtened by responsibility
    Hoping for power and courage
    We're glimpsing new heights
    That we never believed true
    Yet all were impossible
    If we didn't understand
    The song to life

[Chorus]

I hope it means something to someone.

Jens
    Last edited by SteamPower4ever; 31st Mar 2020 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Clarification
    nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage
    ...to the topTop

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and virus doesn't stick to trains.
    'nuff said

- Adam Savage
    ...to the topTop

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont leave the house unless I am in MOPP level 4. J/K

I thought about a small charge of high explosive,, but then the contents go ka-blooie.

Maybe a high dose of radiation for the packages.

We just need to be cautious. Here in Tx on construction sites we are required to have an infrared thermometer to take the temperature of sub-contractors. Starting at 0700, temps will be taken,, if the temp is above the threshold, they are sent home and not allowed on the job site. If the regulations are not followed, they ( city/state) will shut the job down.

We are living in strange times.

I remember what my pops would say,, " don't pet the sweaty and dont sweat the petty"

Laters,
    Wyatt
    ...to the topTop

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SOO For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,500 Times in 2,448 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@SteamPower4ever may know differently, but I hear Sweden is not taking any of the draconian measures we have -- yet, anyway. People there reportedly are expected to be responsible for their personal safety and that of others around them.

Curious. ...

Then again, there's that old saying, "You can always tell a Swede, you just can't tell 'em much."
    ...to the topTop

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Schmidt For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoyed the song, @SteamPower4ever. Very retro. I was into the folk music scene in the 1960s, and this reminded me of that era. I assume this was either taped well before the current emergency, or that everyone was arrested immediately after the concert and confined in one small cell.
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    ...to the topTop

22. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    @SteamPower4ever may know differently, but I hear Sweden is not taking any of the draconian measures we have -- yet, anyway.
    True. They have a different approach. Time will tell if it's good or bad. There's just no textbook for this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by el Gato Gordo View Post
    I assume this was either taped well before the current emergency
    Oh yes. I think it's from 2010.

- Adam Savage
    ...to the topTop

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,646 Times in 1,402 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronman View Post
    Realistically, basic precautions (such as washing your hands after emptying and discarding the shipping box) should sufficiently minimize any risk.
    This is actually the most appropriate response to the OP, and a great reminder as to how to push back against virus. It will definitely deal with the threat from the mail carrier who just sneezed on your delivery!

Reporting from New Hampshire, our governor just issued Emergency Declaration #20, providing 10% raises to all employees of our state run liquor stores. This further solidifies NH's status as the greatest State in the continental US.
    ...to the topTop

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pwh70 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

State run liquor stores? I haven't heard of anything so archaic since I left Virginia, which also has state run ABC stores. I'm quite fond of Virginia, but glad to be free of some of the restrictions found in the original 13. New Hampshire is, of course, a very beautiful state!
    Cheers!
    Gordon
    Rheinland Bayern Bahn
    ...to the topTop

28. The Following User Says Thank You to el Gato Gordo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronman View Post
    Now, I can't resist saying this... I heard from some guy that
    You deserve at least 3 thumbs up .... I can only give you one.
    - Gary R.

President & CEO
    Pinnacle & Western Railroad

Never under-do the over-kill.

I don't always stop for trains, but when ... oh wait!, Yes I do.
    ...to the topTop

Thanks
    Thanked 2,110 Times in 794 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schmidt View Post
    @SteamPower4ever may know differently, but I hear Sweden is not taking any of the draconian measures we have -- yet, anyway. People there reportedly are expected to be responsible for their personal safety and that of others around them.
    Well, their measures are less draconian. It's not that they don't take any measures (universities and schools beyond grade 9 are closed, visits to retiree homes forbidden, bars closed, border control imposed, limit of people at an event dropped from 500 to 50 today) but they stop way short of what other countries have imposed. The cynic in me wants to comment "thanks to their sacrifices, we will have a control group", but I do hope they won't regret it.

Then again, German and US measures are less draconian than Chinese or Italian. We still have public transport running. We still allow people to go to work, even across borders. It's not a "no measures" vs "all measures", there is a scale.

Let's hope we can stick this out. I'm beginning to feel cautiously optimistic, as German new infection numbers seem to begin stabilizing around 5000-6000/day.

Have I posted this change of perspective here yet? Titled "We're not trapped in here with the coronavirus. The coronavirus is trapped in here with us" from https://xkcd.com/2287/ (CC-BY-NC 2.5 so embedding should be OK).

Stay healthy and safe,
    Heiko
    Last edited by Heiko; 1st Apr 2020 at 03:42 AM. Reason: can't seem to get my quotes right
    ...to the topTop

31. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stole this one Heiko, I think it's both humor and educational.
    As long as I can model in N-scale, I know I'm not old

My Flickr Pages

http://www.janbouli.com
    ...to the topTop

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janbouli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,858 Times in 674 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are hit pretty hard here in Michigan. First companies, then the state took increasingly restrictive steps. At this point we have been "life sustaining businesses only" for over a week. I hope to see the numbers (not that the numbers are accurate) start to flatten out by the beginning of next week as a result of these social distancing measures.

The CDC, leading federal health agency in the US, has been strangely quiet. Instead we hear interviews from leaders in more minor federal departments. That's not good.

I am pessimistic about when will we see things get back to normal. A vaccine takes over a year to develop. It will take over a year for herd immunity to develop (60% infected), assuming that the cases trickle in slowly enough to not overwhelm hospitals. And they are searching for medicine that will alleviate COVID-19 symptoms. Is there a scenario where we lift restrictions without one of those three things happening?
    ...to the topTop

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NtheBasement For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,110 Times in 794 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NtheBasement View Post
    We are hit pretty hard here in Michigan. First companies, then the state took increasingly restrictive steps. At this point we have been "life sustaining businesses only" for over a week. I hope to see the numbers (not that the numbers are accurate) start to flatten out by the beginning of next week as a result of these social distancing measures.
    I am sorry to hear that. And please excuse me generalizing the US response above, I know the response can be very different from state to state and sometimes from county to county.

Quote Originally Posted by NtheBasement View Post
    I am pessimistic about when will we see things get back to normal. A vaccine takes over a year to develop. It will take over a year for herd immunity to develop (60% infected), assuming that the cases trickle in slowly enough to not overwhelm hospitals. And they are searching for medicine that will alleviate COVID-19 symptoms. Is there a scenario where we lift restrictions without one of those three things happening?
    The theoretical scenario would be the point when we see no new infections for a while (probably two weeks at minimum) because people just don't meet, so they can't infect each other. Then we could expect everyone who was infected before to either have healed or died (sounds dark, I know).

No idea how realistic it is to achieve that before vaccines or medications. It definitely requires testing, testing and more testing. And to be ready to reinstate and adhere to restrictions as soon as we see new cases.

Stay healthy and safe,
    Heiko
    ...to the topTop

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much locked down for 30 more days. Do get out for a couple hours each day driving school bus and handing out free school lunches. Glad to have something to do...Jim in Minnesota
    ...to the topTop

38. The Following User Says Thank You to nicki6 For This Useful Post: