Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Update (3rd Apr 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Weekend Update (3rd Apr 2020)

Please update us on the progress you have made on your MRR projects this week (commencing: 3rd Apr 2020).

This weekly thread is to post little snippets about your layout/project progress.
    This is not be a substitute for your layout build thread, but just a mini update on what you got done for the week.

You can link from your layout build thread to your posts in this thread as a part of a more extensive post there, or visa-versa (post to your build thread and link to that post when contributing to this thread.

Click on a post's #number (right-hand end of the post header) to get the URL to that particular post in your browsers address bar.
    Copy and paste this as needed.

So, fellow nSn'ers, what have you been up to this week?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,305 Times in 568 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Among a couple of other projects. I will be adding some details to:

Hopefully, photos on Sunday evening

Y'all stay safe and healthy!!
    Wolf

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 728 Posts
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooo, won't you just look at that cabforward
    Thanks, Tom

Expect nothing except the opposite of what you expect, and then expect it to be something other than that ! Then that's about what it will be

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tomcook For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,398 Times in 2,948 Posts
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not too much happening here, just going on with the Kits I have to build.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn’t get anything done this week. Did some thing to my lower back last week that has caused me to be on my back in bed with frequent ice packs on my lower back. The pain starts in my lower lumbar area and radiates all the way down my left leg.. today is the sixth day, and I am just starting to see some improvement where I can get around with a walker and sit for short periods. It’s unfortunate. Because of the virus the state has banned all nonessential surgical procedures. So I’m not able to get an epidural injection. So I just have to wait it out, and continue using the ice, and hope it passes soon. The worst issue is, I can’t even work on any of my structures that I’m working on for the layout.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JohnE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,700 Times in 4,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moose get all Great Northern & Pullman locomotives & rolling stock sorted out, labeled and boxed together ... Except a few stinkin' disease'els that keep running around the layout, trying to evade Moose hooves... Dirty rotten disease'els!

1_GN_Pullman_Sorted_n_Labeled_20200403_140427.jpg
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

"Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

9. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,261 Times in 653 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2013 View Post
    ... Except a few stinkin' disease'els that keep running around the layout, trying to evade Moose hooves... Dirty rotten disease'els!
    You sold steamers. Instant karma
    nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,398 Times in 2,948 Posts
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Moose2013

Hmmm ... is Moose "finally" joining the modern age of choo choo's ?
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,796 Times in 766 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    Did some thing to my lower back last week that has caused me to be on my back in bed with frequent ice packs on my lower back.
    Been there myself, herniated discs between my L4-L5 and L5-S1 spaces. I was down approximately 6 weeks before I could walk from one end of my house to the other and that was after the cortisone injection. The doctor wouldn't schedule me for the injection until I spoke directly to the "business manager" and practically begged her to get me scheduled because the pain was unbearable. If you cannot walk then I'd say it IS an essential procedure and you REALLY need to push for it. I wonder about laying on your back though... for me I had to lay on my side with my knees bent. Laying on my back even today causes me discomfort. Are you putting a pillow under your legs to bend your knees?

I really feel for you... the only thing worse than coronavirus quarentine was when my discs were herniated and I was confined to the couch, not just the house.

Get well soon, your trains are suffering too.
    Bronman - "That's just dumb, D-U-M, dumb."

My Layout Build Thread - The Spokane & Eastern Washington
    - Featuring the Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Montana Rail Link and Amtrak in Spokane and Eastern Washington in the mid-1990's.

Stuff for Free, Sale, Trade and that I'm looking for.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,261 Times in 653 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the SB Modellbau coreless drives for my BR151s was somehow messed up in manufacturing. The axle on one side of the motor was displaced, but the overall length of the drive was to spec, resulting in the motor and flywheel being 5mm off. I contacted SB Modellbau and they offered to fix it free of charge, but I decided to have a go myself to save the ridiculous shipping cost.

The axles are in fact brass tubes, and the longer one slid into place easily. I cut the shorter axle and inserted a 1mm brass rod into the tube to extend the axle, and that worked fine until I decided to solder the joint ... and the plastic worm gear melted. Arghh! I should have just glued it, of course.

Contacting SB again to ask if I could buy a new worm gear, they offered to send me two pcs free of charge. Now that is customer service

Here's the fixed drive. The extended axle is to the left. Somehow I managed to keep it perfectly straight.

And here the drive is in place in the frame, waiting for the glue to set. Included in the kit is some 0.3mm copper wire which is wound into the worm drive which is then laid in place on the gear wheels of the mounted trucks. The motor casing is glued to the frame with two-component epoxy and when it sets, the copper wire is removed and the gear spacing is right on the money. Very clever method.

nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

16. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,858 Times in 674 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Continuing work on the coal yard. I was short a turnout and rather than order another I just made one of the tracks single ended.

I use Peco c55 turnouts and ME c55 track. They are incompatible; I had to carve off the lower flange on all 6 turnout rails on all 6 turnouts so that I could join them to the ME with Peco joiners. To get NMRA standard track spacing in the yard I had to add a 1-inch track section between each turnout (Warning: Peco diagrams don't show this). The yard lead is already laid at one end, but at the other end I surgically removed existing flex to add a turnout into the yard. Then I soldered and painted the yard tracks.
    20200329_102419.jpg
    I only have 1 piece of cork left so the yard will be at ground level. I had to transition down from two-cork-high mainline on one end and one-cork-high on the other. I did this by cutting layers of Cheerios box cardboard and ramping down from cork (4 layers) to 3 to 2 to 1 to none. At each step I added thinner Hopslam 6-pack cardboard. Lots of glue to get it all smooth.
    20200330_195430.jpg
    I also cut down the plywood at one end to make it less boringly flat (I like to accentuate the vertical!) This will probably be a marsh or pond.
    20200331_141739.jpg
    Then I glued the track down with contact cement and soldered the connections. Four of the turnouts are Peco Unifrog but two are Electro. Because the tracks are double-ended this shorted until I gapped the rails on the inner Electro legs. Then I gapped the connections to the main, as this yard is wired as a block on my DC-days panel. Gapping involves super gluing the rail to the ties on each side of the gap to avoid pulling the rail off the spikes while cutting. Cutting is with a razor saw, and then I glue a thin piece of styrene into the gap to keep it gapped forever. When the glue hardens I carve the styrene back to rail profile with an Exacto.
    IMG_8306.jpg

Next up: wiring. I have a block switch at the control panel wired to a terminal strip, but no bus wires yet for this block on the other side of the strip. So I'll drop track leads tracks first, run the bus wires and solder the drops to them and make sure nothing shorts, then wire DPDT slides to throw each turnout and power their frogs.

While I love the "go anywhere you want" flexibility that flex track provides, it certainly is a pain to get it right.

18. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to NtheBasement For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been cleaning/reorganizing, doing more decaling on all purpose spine cars, and have started work on a 2nd bridge (Micro Engineering steel trestle). I'm waiting on some strip brass to finish my Central Valley Models truss bridge. Photos will taken when I've made more progress, so Moose is just going to have to be... patient? Probably not the right word. He's just going to have to hold his mooses.

- Featuring the Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific, Montana Rail Link and Amtrak in Spokane and Eastern Washington in the mid-1990's.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,700 Times in 4,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    538 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronman View Post
    Photos will taken when I've made more progress, so Moose is just going to have to be... patient?
    Moose not a doctor ... Prepare for moose stampede!
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

"Reading is for morons who can't understand pictures..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2013 View Post
    Prepare for moose stampede!
    Nope. Not letting ANYBODY in, not even mooses. Maybe after THE virus outbreak has been resolved.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,111 Times in 794 Posts
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doing some ditchperiments - curios how that'll turn out after ground cover and static grass:

And finally finished installing these turnout controls:

They've been sitting on my shelf for months, don't know if I ever posted them before, all that was missing was the piano wire actually moving the throwbar

Stay safe and healthy everyone,
    Heiko

24. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear of your pain. I am a bottled water delivery guy and know how back pain can be rough on daily activities. Swapping ice and heat only does so much. The best results for me was when I bought a tens electronic stimulator. Ran me $79.99 and qualified to be purchased with health care savings funds. The directions say to restrict to two sessions a day, but when the pain is bad I did three spread out. Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

JohnE, Sorry to hear of your pain. I am a bottled water delivery guy and know how back pain can be rough on daily activities. Swapping ice and heat only does so much. The best results for me was when I bought a tens electronic stimulator. Ran me $79.99 and qualified to be purchased with health care savings funds. The directions say to restrict to two sessions a day, but when the pain is bad I did three spread out. Good luck.<br><br>
    John

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhn_plsn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bronman View Post
    Been there myself, herniated discs between my L4-L5 and L5-S1 spaces. I was down approximately 6 weeks before I could walk from one end of my house to the other and that was after the cortisone injection. The doctor wouldn't schedule me for the injection until I spoke directly to the "business manager" and practically begged her to get me scheduled because the pain was unbearable. If you cannot walk then I'd say it IS an essential procedure and you REALLY need to push for it. I wonder about laying on your back though... for me I had to lay on my side with my knees bent. Laying on my back even today causes me discomfort. Are you putting a pillow under your legs to bend your knees?

I really feel for you... the only thing worse than coronavirus quarentine was when my discs were herniated and I was confined to the couch, not just the house.

Get well soon, your trains are suffering too.
    Thank you! I cant lay perfectly flat... hurts to much. I lay on an ice pack and keep my weight on the unaffected side and must keep the leg of the affected side bent. The unaffected leg can lay straight. I know I have a bulging disc at
    4-L5 and moderate stenosis at the same level. I did find out late yesterday that I getting a referral for an epidural down in Phoenix... about a 90 minute drive from here. Hope it goes thru fast. Thanks again.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jhn_plsn View Post
    JohnE, Sorry to hear of your pain. I am a bottled water delivery guy and know how back pain can be rough on daily activities. Swapping ice and heat only does so much. The best results for me was when I bought a tens electronic stimulator. Ran me $79.99 and qualified to be purchased with health care savings funds. The directions say to restrict to two sessions a day, but when the pain is bad I did three spread out. Good luck.<br><br>
    Thanks John. I have a TENS unit here and have used it, but without getting much relief. Sigh, I wish it did work for me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had some nice weather today which put a wrinkle in hobby time, however I still managed some more decaling on an all purpose spine. The decals will dry overnight and tomorrow it will get some dull coat to seal it. I will have just one unit left then, except that I have decided to assemble, paint and decal two more and run two 5-unit cars instead of a 5-unit and a 3-unit. I will post pics once the first 5 unit car is complete. Soon, Moose... soon.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Started a kit bash/scratch build project. It's taking a lot more time than I anticipated. It's far from being finished and I'm already having crazy ideas involving interior and exterior lighting.

Attached Images Attached Images

33. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to orvio For This Useful Post: